JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm cranky tonight so forgive me this rant. I've nothing to say but it will make me feel better to 'voice' it.

My dad's best friend died this past year and he was an avid outdoorsman in his prime. Well he had a degenerative disease that took way too long to take him and his gun collection suffered for it. Now I've been asked to help the widow sell some of his stuff to help with bills.

Jerry wasn't known for buying quality and then he wasn't able to take care of anything in the end and I'm now trying to squeeze blood out of turnips.

Winchester 77 - Missing the magazine. $40 to replace the mag and with the mag the gun is worth $60.

Glenfield Model 60 - Missing the mag tube, front sight and a bent bolt carrier guide rod. $60-$80 in parts for a gun worth $60.

New Haven 600AB (Mossberg 500) - Something didn't seem right but I couldn't put my finger on it. Cracked stock and a rusted out barrel. I bought the furniture for it today ($40) and I have a lead on a used barrel ($75) only it won't eject shells... missing extractor ($15) for a gun worth $125.

Uberti .357 cattleman - wouldn't lock up $70 in springs, hand & bolt. Still needs a front sight ($75 installed) and even though Flitz is safe for bluing it took the case hardening right off the frame.

C-Series air rifle - blown seals and all that I could find on the internet was 'you need to know what you're doing'.

Sweedish mauser 6.5x57 - this one actually didn't need anything (but cleaning) but my FIL low balled me at $100 only after he got to head space it, test fire and whatever else he wanted to do before he'd make the deal. Buy a cheap gun and take your chances. Don't hold out to make sure it's perfect for $100.

New Haven 880B (Mossberg Maverick) .243. All it needed was a cleaning but what a brick.

The only thing he had of value was a Savage 99F that I haven't gotten so much as a nibble on.

To be fair I'm enjoying learning about these old guns but I was sure hoping I'd have something to show for my efforts. Oh well; labor of love I guess.

Put all that junk in a time capsule and it will be worth a fortune in 50 years. :p

Of course, that won't pay today's bills. I do not envy you. But you are a good man for helping the widow in such a lose-lose proposition.

Ben, I feel for ya...if any of y'all are wanting a "project" to tinker on, I can only say A: You'd be doing a good thing taking some of these off his hands and helping out the widow, and B: In multiple pm's back and forth with Kimber Custom he's been totally honest, did what he said as he said he would and by virtue of what he's doing for this lady a solid guy. Wish I was in a better position to help you out, but glad you can get some of it off your chest here, man.

I am reminded of a Bible verse in the Book of James:
James 1:27 (New International Version)
"27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

You are doing a very good deed. Keep the faith and if you need to vent, we are here to listen.
Mike

About that C-Series air rifle - I used to do a lot of custom work on paintball guns and I'm a journeyman instrument tech, which means I know a lot about high and low pressure pneumatics and hydraulics, among other esoteric BS. Do you have any more info on the air rifle? I might be interested.

About that C-Series air rifle - I used to do a lot of custom work on paintball guns and I'm a journeyman instrument tech, which means I know a lot about high and low pressure pneumatics and hydraulics, among other esoteric BS. Do you have any more info on the air rifle? I might be interested.

It would pump up and shoot but it wouldn't hold air overnight. I had determined it was from 1985 but I couldn't identify which c-series it was (there were 3 I could find reference too).

I sold it 'as is' to board member Rude for $60. If he can repair it he should have a nice little rifle. In good condition they sell for $150 without the scope I had on it.

I sold it 'as is' to board member Rude for $60. If he can repair it he should have a nice little rifle. In good condition they sell for $150 without the scope I had on it.

Well, that was quick. A lot of the early paintball guns were built off of Sheridan actions. I have a drawer full of o-rings and such for them. Too bad it's gone.

Well, that was quick. A lot of the early paintball guns were built off of Sheridan actions. I have a drawer full of o-rings and such for them. Too bad it's gone.

Actually I had it in the classifieds for a month or better. Dropped the price 3 times and still had to take an offer.

Maybe a stupid question, but is the Glenfield Model 60 the same as the Marlin Model 60? I have one thats in pieces, maybe it would help you because all it's doing is taking up space on my bench. The only thing it needs to be complete is a stock (burned up in a fire) and the plastic trigger group (same fire).

Maybe a stupid question, but is the Glenfield Model 60 the same as the Marlin Model 60? I have one thats in pieces, maybe it would help you because all it's doing is taking up space on my bench. The only thing it needs to be complete is a stock (burned up in a fire) and the plastic trigger group (same fire).

Yes, the Glenfield was made in the Marlin factory using a lower quality wood for the department store market (Wards & such) but the internals are, for the most part, interchangable.

I'll send you a PM to work out details on the parts I need. Thank you.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top