JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I actually am one of the few who like it O.K.. It's on sale now I saw at Walmart. How long will it really last? I mean the real fruitcake not the softer flakey kind if you know what I mean. I couldn't find an expiration date on the sale stuff I saw. The internet tells me 2 to 5 years depending on how it's packaged. Any real life experiences?

I actually am one of the few who like it O.K.. It's on sale now I saw at Walmart. How long will it really last? I mean the real fruitcake not the softer flakey kind if you know what I mean. I couldn't find an expiration date on the sale stuff I saw. The internet tells me 2 to 5 years depending on how it's packaged. Any real life experiences?

Home made fruitcake is the best - especially Mom's recipe. I've made a bunch of it over the years and it has never lasted long enough for shelf life test.

I like it too.
My favorite was the light "Oregon Fruitcake" Fred meyers use to make, but stopped about 15 yrs ago.
Sure wish we had the recipe for that one. Not partial to the heavy ones too much.
Anyone remember that ?

I'd be skeptical of what Walmart sells. I doubt there is much alcohol in it (which is what is "preserving" it) but there is probably some other chemicals that are in there to prolong the shelf life.

It depends on what State or City you're in. They last forever in San Francisco, Portland, Seattle and New York!

This is exactly what I was thinking.... Add Washington DC to the list.

As far as the kind of fruitcake that you eat, I know it will turn into a brick at some point, but even then it's probably still edible. May not be enjoyable, but still edible.

BM brown bread is a canned sweet bread that is O.K. too but haven't seen it around in a while. Just thinking of adding a little variety to the supply. I ate a lot of my stuff last year and one of my new years resolutions is to build it back up. As with everything else I do the budget is tight.

BM brown bread is a canned sweet bread that is O.K. too but haven't seen it around in a while. Just thinking of adding a little variety to the supply. I ate a lot of my stuff last year and one of my new years resolutions is to build it back up. As with everything else I do the budget is tight.

That BM canned bread is (was) GREAT! I haven't seen it in years but if I ever do it'll be in my shopping cart.

Fruitcakes are like "old school" guns such as Charter Arms .38 snubbies, or Browning pocket autos in .25 ACP. Most know-it-alls that deride them have never really given them an honest try.

BabyBrowningsm.jpg Undercover.jpg

BabyBrowningsm.jpg

Undercover.jpg

Must be a Trappist thing.

<broken link removed>

These are made about twenty miles from me, and I've never tasted one.
Not a big fruitcake fan.

Dune
Didn't San Francisco have one they sent to D C a number of years ago . . . I think IT is beginning to show its age . . .

Sheldon

You are correct, Sir! That one has been out of the State long enough for the preservatives to dry out!!

On another note, I wonder if they would last a while if you soaked them in Rum for a few days then food saver bagged them?

Let me settle this thing about the shelf life of a Fruitcake.........There is only ONE FRUITCAKE in the whole world and people send it back and forth to one another.........NO ONE ever eats it.

Hope this helps,

Good Day Gents

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews