JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My daily carry gun is a Kahr K9 (one of the NYPD turn-in ones), took it shooting today and after putting 100+/- rounds through it the front sight broke off. I was 4-rounds into a magazine when I fired the gun, looked down the slide for the next shot an there was no front sight. Broke clean off, the dovetail base is still there and there is a little crater showing the graininess of broken cast metal where the front sight used to be.

So I guess I'll be getting those night sights I wanted....

IMG_20130807_202545_603_zps739e5b71.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a great reason to upgrade. I've got a K9 whose chamber indicator doesn't work but that doesn't require fixing.

I went into my local gun store today with my slide looking for new sights. I expected them to not have any in stock, I was looking to have them order some and then press the sights on when they came in. Instead I was told to ship it to Kahr to have new sights put on. Good advice I guess, except that I don't really want to pay the two-way shipping and wait weeks for it to get done. I guess I'll buy some sights and then take it somewhere else to have them installed?

Novak makes a great sight for carry guns. For install, I would use a triangle file on the sight (not the slide) to fit the dovetail, then drift it in with a brass punch. Or you could find someone to do it.

Had the same problem with my Ruger SR1911 CMD. For the SR1911's it seems to be a fairly common issue. I will probably replace mine with night sights at some point. But for now, Ruger has a new front sight on its way to me.

SR1911ShearedSight1.jpg SR1911ShearedSight2.jpg

I would call Kahr and see if they will cover the cost of shipping for replacement sights..... you could also see if they will pay the shipping to have new night sights installed due to the failure?

go over to KahrTalk Home and check out the peeps on there... they know their stuff!

I have broken a couple of front sights from recoil and when I was in college dropped my glock slide during cleaning and broke the front sight off. Taped it back on with electrical tape and it stayed that way all throughout college until I got a real job and could afford new sights!

On my Kahr (replaced them cuz I wanted to, not because I broke them) the new sight went in easily. I got mepro's. I was a little disappointed since everyone talked about how difficult they were.
The only issue I had was the front sight was dimmer than the rear. I took a marker and darkened the rear dots to make the front sight relatively brighter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top