JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just recently switched from FrogLube (Miss the smell lol) to FireClean(no smell at all)

How's that working for you? i notice it's more an oil type like Slip2000, that states non toxic etc, yet still says harmful if swallowed. They also don't have a plain cleaner, which is what i'm looking for at the moment.

I know I would never want to swallow it. In direct comparison I would say FireClean is a better cleaner. Carbon that Froglube makes easy to wipe off, FireClean melts it away. I'm pretty new to the product and will need some more time before I could speak to long term use first hand. Initially it feels as though its taking me less time to clean after each time I go shooting since having made the switch....really to early to tell though.

Interesting.

I never really liked the whole CLP thing, i prefer a cleaner, then i'll lube/protect after that, if the LP portion is from a CLP, i'm ok with that, so long as it's good enough.

To that end, i've never used Froglube to clean.

Frog lube is very wife friendly. No need to use the wifes hair dryer guys, set your oven on the lowest temp 125deg. or so the cover a cookie sheet with foil and load with parts. This method heats more even and no buned fingers. Frog lube is great for a drylube option for shotgun gas pistons and 10/22 bolts when using garbage dirty ammo, also double stack mags. My drylube method: heat-coat-wipe dry and good to go. I am not for sure but i think frog lube solvent is water-rubbing alcohol-touch of detergent. A great safe solvent is 99% rubbing alcohol, you can get it at Safeway for a few bucks. FYI the portland S.E.R.T. I was told use Mobil one syn. and swear by it. My end of the world gun lube will be Redline racing motorcycle oil. The stuff is super slick and very hard to break down, but its $17-20 per qt. Some motorcycle oils are non-friction modified and non-detergent for the wet clutch so would work well in straight metal to metal aplication like guns.

just my .0002 cents

Just went on eBay and ordered a kit for my dad for a Father's Day gift. I used it a few time at a buddies place when cleaning guns on my .380 that I carry 24/7 in my pocket and its nice because the lint wipes right off. It's not greasy and smells good to. Highly recommended and it badly priced at $30 shipped for the entire kit

I ran 842 rounds out of my 1911 without a cleaning last weekend, no problems. I use the "dry method" and after a few strings of shooting steel I get a little lube coming off the rails on the back of the frame/slide, let's me know there's some lube in there.

Been using frog lube for a while now. Coated my sons mini 14 and shot about 100 rounds this weekend. When cleaning everything wiped off with a paper towel. Very good stuff.

It is good, I like it, on another forum I spoke with a test user who rates seal 1 higher than FL.
Reason mostly just for cold weather performance/gumming up, I just order spme, cheaper than FL, 10 bucks on amazon. I'll use that round the mech areas and finish off the FL round the house on on gun externals and mag internals etc :)

Last Edited:
Frog lube? Yeah I tried that. Loved the smell. The wife loved the smell. So I made the switch. When my guns started malfunctioning I switched back to Ballistol and this stuff below. No problems since.

This may be a bit "old school" ,, but I've used Mercruiser synthetic gear lube for out drives for years and years to oil all my guns and it makes them super easy to clean up after using corrosive ammo and makes slides and actions super smooth..........

.........Cheap too by comparison, a pint bottle was like 3-4 bucks and I've been using the same bottle for 5-6 years and it's only about half gone and my stable contains over 100 guns that get used allot, so it goes along ways besides.

Another thing that works really good is the blue stuff GM recommends in a Tahoe's transfer case.

22690d1287012020-changing-transfer-case-fluid-images.jpg

What sold me on it and made me think about using it on my guns was towing my 21ft aluminum sled from Garibaldi to Salem with a "dry" transfer case because a local oil change service place broke said transfer case tightening the filler plug to tight. (In the end they made it right with me)

I figured it would have howled like an obummer supporter receiving word his obummer phone was going to be cut off, but it didn't. I took the occasion to open it up before I tossed it in the neighbor's scrap metal pile and everything inside was still nicely "coated" even though it was more or less dry.

Carb cleaner REALLY cleans out that powder fowling and old cosmoline, and great for surplus stocks you're getting ready for refinish as a "final rinse", just let them air dry for quite a while if refinishing a stock though. It will really pull out the oil and cosmoline on old milsurp stocks and actions.

^ Yeah that ^
Spray on brake cleaner works really good too.

I used Froglube on a 6.5 Grendel prior to a practical rifle match where the high temperature for the day was 22 degrees F. When I was driving out to the range, the coldest temperature I recorded was 14 degrees F.

The Froglube worked great, my rifle didn't have a single malfunction for the entire 60-80 round match. I doubt I could have said that about traditional oils at that cold of a temperature.

If it's fresh and not in the firing mech, the temps down that low are good, it's fine if the weapon hasn't cooled down to those extreme temps as it keeps itself going.

The problems people have found have been combos of the weapon being as cold as the outside temp and a syrupy reaction with the left over petro-chemicals in the metal.

The Seal1 isn't supposed to have that problem. Whilst i havn't used it yet, the paste still i the pot, doesn't set as hard as my FL paste, it's more fluid whilst still being a paste.

I used frog lube couple times and it was okay (work as it should). But I decide to keep using weapon shield clp. never gave me a problem and also work very well.

I have been using FL for quite awhile and I really like the was it performs. I only use the paste, if I need it liquid all I do is heat up some paste and it turns liquid ;^)
I am finding new things to use FL all the time, knives, tools, files, locks, really anything that might stick, rust, or corrode. It also makes a great lube in vinyl window tracks :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top