JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having weapons was a given. People have them & make them regardless of what other people or governments want. It wasn't expected ever to go away or need clarification until 13 years later with the 2nd ammendment. Governance of any type and taxes are not a given, thats something that takes a forcefull hand to force another to make happen.

I disagree, because the Jefferson and Hamilton were so explicitly clear on the purpose of armed civilians in the federalist papers. If it was all a given then I don't not think it would have been so commented on.

I disagree, because the Jefferson and Hamilton were so explicitly clear on the purpose of armed civilians in the federalist papers. If it was all a given then I don't not think it would have been so commented on.

You're talking about the federalist papers. What i mentioned didn't come into play until 13 years after the Declaration, which is what mine and your original comment was about (the declaration). The federalist papers was nothing more than the british handing over power to an interim (central) government, the same as we did to the iraqi's.

And it took right around the same amount of time for our exchange with the federalist papers to come to light, with the time frame the british took to leave while a interim (central) government was set up, as we did when we started pulling out of Iraq & by the time their (interim) government started with their domestic policies. Afghanistan is taking a lil while longer, with their interim government been in place for so long already & we still havent left but no difference in the end. Iraq is apparently more civilized (brainwashed, easily led) than them, just like us Americans were & have been.

You're talking about the federalist papers. What i mentioned didn't come into play until 13 years after the Declaration, which is what mine and your original comment was about. The federalist papers was nothing more than the british handing over power to an interim (central) government, the same as we did to the iraqi's.

And it took right around the same amount of time for our exchange with the federalist papers to come to light, with the time frame the british took to leave as we did when we started pulling out of Iraq & their (interim) government started with their domestic policies. Afghanistan is taking a lil while longer but no difference in the end. Iraq is showing to be more civilized than them just like us Americans.

Err... Ok now I'm trying to remember some history lessons from yonder years... Fun discussion though. I thought the fedralist Papers really got going after the collapse of the articles of Confederation, so I would really need to see what that said about private weapons. The point bein I think the timeline goes something like this...

Declaration of independence, (no mention of firearms although I could assume it was addressed by property rights)
Articles of confederation, no mention of private weapons.
Arrivals of confederation implode, the discussion "the federalist papers " on how to form "a more perfect union" begin and here gun rights really get flushed out.

My point being I don't think the concept of the second amendment had much to do with the revolution. The point at which the British started trying to grab them was because they thought a shooting war was about to start. And ironically that is started the shooting.

But please correct me if I'm off base.

Yet I'm still reminded of how many Patriots came to the defense of the Branch Dividians before the US government decided to immolate a bunch of children to save them from so-called child abuse, or the riots in the streets demanding the jailing of the government officials responsible, or the impeachment of the President for allowing it to happen on his watch.

Hmmm, I don't either. In reality, most Americans couldn't give a rat's behind about the Constitution as long as Dancing with the Stars or American Idol is on TV tonight.

Keith

Keith is right on, most of the population are comfortable with the DWTS & AI. Take that away and Opra & The View and NFL, etc. and Whoaaaahhhhh Nellie, Katie Bar The Door.

<broken link removed>

From the article

Tens of millions of Americans will refuse to comply with an order that is clearly a violation of the explicit intent of the Second Amendment. Among the most ardent opposing these measures will be military veterans, active duty servicemen, and local law enforcement officers. Many of these individuals will refuse to carry out what they view as Constitutionally illegal orders.

This should be the first tip off that the article is based on wishful thinking, and one too many viewings of Red Dawn and First Blood.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top