JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So in the process of moving my wife's best friend asked me about a "deal" her kinda slow husband is making.

The guy has no prior knowledge of firearms and as far as she says has never shot one. The deal would be him giving up a street bike...Worth about 4k for a Walther p22 and a "custom" AR pistol in 300 black out.

The .22 is easy to advise her on as far as price. The AR is way out of my realm especially since I know custom can mean built in a garage or built by a high end reputable company. Price obviously can be massively different with what custom can mean in any AR.

I was under the impression...er assumption that 300 was less popular of an AR choice. No matter who built it can anyone see a AR pistol being worth even 3600?? That is giving the Walther a lot of value IMO.

Either way she is looking for real advise on convincing him it is not a wise deal. I do not think it is but I know many of you know the AR world a lot better than me. With little info to go on besides "custom" do any of you see any way it could be worth anywhere near that much? I have not seen an AR pistol of any kind going for that price. I am sure some do but pretty sure it is not likely. Or is it? As always I could be completely wrong but I think he is getting SCREWED and just thinks the gun is "nifty"....His word...I like her but he is a different story.

Not a good deal if you ask me. You can build a few custom;) AR pistols for 3500 bucks.....Look at Noveske who is big into the 300 black AR platform and those are not even pushing the 3K range.....

Common sense and very little research should be plenty to convince him...

That said, if he is gung ho to get rid of the bike for a gun there isn't much in the logic area that will help.

Wow.. Unless the engine is blown.. That is a TERRIBLE deal.

He could build an AR pistol for under $700
And a P22.. Shoot, thats about $250-$350
Id also talk him out of 300blk.
(Im NOT a fan)
Just wait for the next panic.. Good luck unless he reloads.. And even then.

Common sense and very little research should be plenty to convince him...

That said, if he is gung ho to get rid of the bike for a gun there isn't much in the logic area that will help.

Yeah this guy seems to check logic at the door. I feel bad for his wife that she has to try and convince him to take a little time and sell the bike for a gun. I told him to look up every single part on the build and either tell me or look around at pricing.
He often asks for advise in these "deals" he makes with trades. Never for guns before but he asked me about trading his street bike for a moped....Enough said. He did not do that so I am hoping for her sake I can convince him that selling the bike even at a major discount would get him better and more guns to start with.

Wow.. Unless the engine is blown.. That is a TERRIBLE deal.

He could build an AR pistol for under $700
And a P22.. Shoot, thats about $250-$350
Id also talk him out of 300blk.
(Im NOT a fan)
Just wait for the next panic.. Good luck unless he reloads.. And even then.

This is the last kid you want even considering reloading in his house. He is the kind of guy that will take any short cut he can. One of the few people I have said "you should get pepper spray" to rather than a gun. In all honesty I think if he does this it will be the final nail in the coffin with his wife. She is way too good for him anyway. Glad to see I was not so far off on thinking the deal was idiotic.
Just seems like there are so many great guns I would get even if I dropped the bike to 2500, 3k for a quick sale. That is just logic talking though so that would never convince him. Only flat pricing and showing him what he can get for the money may do it. If she was not the wife's best friend I would not even bother with the kid.

Holy crap... tell him I'll trade him those two weapons NIB (after I run out and buy them first) AND to sweeten the deal, I'll even throw in ANY bridge that's in the PDX area of his choosing. :rolleyes:

If it was not for his wife I would do the same. All the info here helps as I can tell her for sure it's a awful deal. I never mess with AR custom anything so it helps to know those here that do think it is not a good idea...except if they are the ones trading him!

Kinda hope he does it anyway. She could do a lot better.

Yeah for the price of 2 weapons that is one sweet deal for the guy trading the guns :rolleyes: Would have to be a tool to go through with it.....

I have a real nice billet AR that has an integral suppressor and even after all the high end parts along with the NFA stamp it was not even close to 3500;) sure would love to see the list of parts on that AR......

I like Stopmers theory go purchase a few guns he is interested in and trade....Still going to come out on top.

YMMV
The p22 is worth $250? tops at the gun show
The AR pistol is at the most $1000 if it has great parts and has never been fired.Of course he wouldn't know the diff.probably worth around the build cost,$650 now? I put any used ARs at the cost I can build one for

Now the Katana is around 10 years old.It's carburated and has other old features.How many miles,who drove it,how many race days,blah blah blah.
Maybe a $1200 bike? $3600 for a 10yo katana is for a garage find no miles,I used to have one of these ! bike

So all in all,I don't think they are that far apart.
Again,ymmv
Mike

Agreed, No one brought up the real value of the bike till mjbskwim.

According to KKB full retail for the bike is $2400, trade in is $1700. It would not be a stretch to have a $1500 AR pistol. They really are not that far apart most likely.

Likely a home brew AR15. I never liked the term custom. I always see guns on the classifieds running rguns barrels and bcgs, or unnamed unknown parts, that are priced in the thousands with the term "custom" in the header. Chances are the value in the AR is less than perceived. Same chances for the motorcycle.

In my eyes the guy trading for the bike is probably ahead. It may not be by much depending on the bike, but he is likely getting the better deal.

Most likely because this is a gun forum and most of these guys aren't sport bike riders so the listed value was taken at face value as was presented.

Great points though in the overall picture of value.

Sounds like I should not have taken his word in the bikes value. It is in great shape but he does exagerate.

He did do it and she is now staYing here....i should let her know IMMEDIATELY that it is worth around the same. I don't think it would make a difference....he is a pretty big idiot in general. She was a big girl and thought that was as good as she would do.....then lost 100lbs....shocking that the attention she is getting made her leave him. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top