JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well. I'll be 42 in December. And I haven't changed a bit.
I moved around a lot as a kid (probably 30 or so different residences and 15 different schools, some of the same schools multiple times) so, I was always the new kid, as such I got really good at either fighting or making friends, I preferred to make friends, didn't alway work out that way. The down side of being able to make new friends quickly is that I got really good at letting those friends go. So I pour my life into my family to try to create stability for my 4 sons and my lovely wife. Which means I have little time for true friends. I have 2 that I would do almost anything for, because they would have to be willing to do the same. Quite a few friends that are the kind that want to hang out and have fun and I can even count on to help me move but that's as far as it goes and that's how it should be. I do not think it is possible to have a lot of great friends while you have the responsibility of raising a family. One of them has to be priority.
Anyway I do know people in general are just getting lazy, covetous, spiteful and pusillanimous and it's unfortunate. I tend to dwell on the world my sons will live in and the fight they will have to go through but that's all part of my own psychosis.

Mid 50s.

People dont change. Once you cross 40, you've seen enough cycles of human behavior to know for certain that this attitude leads to this problem. Half of our friends in high school were dirt bags. We didnt know it at the time and we only have positive memories of them.

The best thing about being on the other side of 40 is that we understand how rare and valuable a good friend is.

True friendships and the bonds created take years to develop. Often, that's why many from childhood endure -- Even if the friendship has drifted geographically apart. Many can find themselves nostalgic about that time.

Acquantainces come and go, and as such, they often don't produce lasting connections. As we get older, we may get wrapped up in our life responsibilities, and it seemingly grows more difficult to find the time to be social.

That stated, one's own perception plays the primary part in how others are perceived. If a person finds themselves hating and seeing the bad in other humans, chances are that most of the humans that they deal with are going to suck.

On the other hand, if a person chooses to see the good in people, chances are that they will primarily encounter good people in their lives.

Same boat as most of you, true friends are hard to come by, acquaintances come and go. I have a coulple of buddies from high school that I still see a few times a year, can be months in between, but always is like we saw each other yesterday. That is hard to come by.
As far as people....ya, the older I get, the less tolerant of "dumb" I become.....yet, I do find myself reminding me that I was once that "dumb kid" too. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesnt :p
I'm doing my part with my kids to stem some of it, constantly get complements about how polite and nice they are.....hope it sticks :D

D78695C4-A73B-4266-9379-6BEC9BDAE5DB.jpeg

Humans always disappoint humans
God is faithful, never changes, does not lie, and does not reject us.

I have learned never put my "faith" in any human being.... they will NEVER fail to disappoint your expectations.

God only rejects those who reject him, and only for as long as He is rejected.... respecting free will and all.

(Actually, it says "for God CANNOT lie & in Him there is no darkness at all".)

Last Edited:
I've experienced the full range of amazing and horrible personal relations, and seen the best and worst of people. I've been betrayed by very close friends I thought I could trust. And I've been blessed by some incredible friends too.

I tend to live by the motto "Trust but verify" these days.

That said, yes the world seems to be going insane with narcissism and evil. Perhaps it's been this way generally, now it's just more evident. I think it has, and others have viewed it. Read "1984," and "Animal Farm," and "Atlas Shrugged" for perspective.

Make and keep great friends. Stay loyal. Be the friend others want you to be.

@Oregonhunter5 You only need a few good friends. The rest of them are usually working an angle. The want to leverage you, or tread on you, or sleep with your wife, or it makes political sense for them to be close to you. That doesn't mean I won't be polite, but I've learned not to expect much.

Every year around this time I go to a handful charity balls due to my wife's work. I can't get over the arrogance of some people at those things. And these are the ones who are ostensibly there to do "good" in the community. More like do good for themselves!

I'm lucky I have a great marriage, and my family is sometimes jerks, but all in all they're okay. I am down to 4-5 old friends I love dearly. The rest come and go.

I've experienced the full range of amazing and horrible personal relations, and seen the best and worst of people. I've been betrayed by very close friends I thought I could trust. And I've been blessed by some incredible friends too.

I tend to live by the motto "Trust but verify" these days.

That said, yes the world seems to be going insane with narcissism and evil. Perhaps it's been this way generally, now it's just more evident. I think it has, and others have viewed it. Read "1984," and "Animal Farm," and "Atlas Shrugged" for perspective.

Make and keep great friends. Stay loyal. Be the friend others want you to be.

I met some solid people in Idaho. Priceless authentic conversations

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads