Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Friendly OR sheriff for non resident license?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rutilate, Sep 26, 2014.

1. rutilate

rutilate Vancouver and Surrounds Active Member

A couple of months ago I stumbled on a recommendation of a pro2a Oregon sheriff that supported and encouraged nonresident (ie Washington) concealed carry licenses.

Now that I'm looking for it I can't find it!

Can someone point me in the right direction to get the OR non-res license? I'm coming from Vancouver.

2. K-22

K-22 Vancouver WA Active Member

You are thinking of the Sheriff in Grant County. Based on my experience, you should have no problem getting your permit in Multnomah County, which is a lot more convenient.

Best,
    Gary

3. rutilate

rutilate Vancouver and Surrounds Active Member

Thanks for that-far more convenient. Will be mailing in the app and hoping for a rapid turnaround for the appt.

4. bunnybunny

bunnybunny Washington Member

I recently got mine from Lake County and I am in CA, but that's probably a 5 hour drive from Vancouver.

I would suggest getting it with Granty County because the person who does all the applications is in Hillsboro about 4-6 days a month and does applications in the back of a CHL/CPL class. When I called Multnomah they said they wouldn't issue to out of state people. Also, last time I checked the wait time in Multnomah was several months.

5. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The Sheriff in Grant County IS a great guy, but he's quite a ways away. I've heard Columbia County (St Helens) is accommodating, too.
    However, Sheriff Palmer (Grant County) used to travel to Vancouver once in a while to process CHL Applications. It would be worth a call to find out if he still did.

County Sheriff
    Glenn Palmer
    205 South Humbolt Street
    Canyon City, Oregon 97820
    Phone: 541-575-1131
    Email: info@grantcountysherifforegon.com

BoonDocks36 likes this.
  6. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm in Vancouver and called around and Was told all Clark county permits had to go thru Multonoma county.

I sent mine in and had no problems getting it - this was earlier this year, so not long ago.

7. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

Try Columbia County. The Sheriff there is a great guy. If you do not know where Columbia County is it is where Saint Helens and Scappoose and other nice cities are located. The address for the Sheriff's Office is 901 Port Avenue St. Helens, Or. 97051 503-366-4611

CHL Office

Monday & Tuesday 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
    Wednesday & Thursday 8:30 A.M. to 2:00 P.M.
    ** BY APPOINTMENT ONLY **

8. S3v3n

S3v3n Beaverton, Or Active Member

When you say Hillsboro do you mean Washington County? Crap I sent mine in a week ago I didnt think it would be like that. Would be nice if they would tell you these things. Has anyone else gotten theirs from Washington County recently? What was the turn around time?

9. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Mine was less then 3 weeks for the fingerprinting appointment and then about 3 weeks to have it in hand.

10. S3v3n

S3v3n Beaverton, Or Active Member

How funny just checked the mail and my letter for my appointment was there. Im happy with those results.

Joe13 likes this.
  11. orygun

I was able to renew online in Clackamas County this year.
    Was surprised about that!

S3v3n likes this.
  12. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

interesting, when I took the class, instructor told me Multonma country love to accept applications from WA now, because they were loosing money from WA people not going in there.

and from what I heard, WA people can apply anywhere, only OR people have to apply in their county.

orygun likes this.
  13. orygun

A while back we were inquiring about Washington (state) CHLs and called Clark County. They said nothing to us about what county we were from or where we have to go. It probably only applies to your own state.

14. bunnybunny

bunnybunny Washington Member

The Grant County Sheriff spends 4-6 days a week in Hillsboro instructing/being part of a CCW class. He will process applications at those classes in the back of the room. You do not have to sign up for the class.

15. Thumper

Thumper Vancouver, WA Life Member Lifetime Supporter

Columbia County is where I got mine. Very friendly and accommodating to Washington folks.

16. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
    Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

He's going to be at the WAC show in October at the Puyallup Fair Grounds. Bring proof that you come to or pass through Columbia County with you.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    NRA Golden Eagle member
    Defender of Freedom Award

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

17. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

Okay, Joe13 is right.

Clackcamas
    I tried to apply in Clackamas and they told me they are not accepting out of state people.

told me to apply at Multonoma country. :p