JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

Reno, Nev. — On the eve
of Independence day, two friends
planned meet up led to one
friend's surprising arrival and
shooting death.

On July 3, Reno police responded
to reports of battery with adeadly
weapon involving a firearm, they
say. But, afterititial investigations
they say that the men involved in
the incident were friends who were
suppose to meet-up --and
upon planned arrival one friend
startled the other friend, who
then fired one round from an
undescribed weapon causing the
friend to die, police report.

RPD could provide no further
details at this time.

The case is still underinvestigation
and the names of those involved
are being withheld atthis time.

Anyone with moreinformation is
asked to call the RPD Detective
Division at 334-2115or Secret
Witness at 322-4900.

About 3 weeks before this incident I met the shooter. We worked and camped in the mountains for 6 days and my impression is that he was a mild mannered, polite young man. We also went shooting together {my guns}. As with any 'unknown' shooter, I watched him closely and quickly determined he did know and observed safe gun handling.

The story I head from our boss is that he {the shooter} went to a bar to pick up his friends who had phoned saying they were too drunk to drive. While waiting and watching the front entrance to the bar, his friends supposedly used a different exit then jumped into the back door of his truck.

Did one of them grab him from behind to scare him? I don't know. If I was in front of a bar and thought I was being attacked from behind, would I shoot? Probably.

FYI - The shooter recently returned from a year of duty in Iraq.

If this was indeed an accident, clearly a couple of rules were violated.

Rule #2. Never allow the muzzle to cross anything that you are not willing to destroy.
Rule #4. Be sure of your target and what beyond it, beside it and in front of it.

Obviously these rules were not broken.He was surprised and did in fact intend on shooting his attacker (so he thought)
Doesn't sound as though he hit any innocent by-standers. He knew what he was shooting at and didn't need a back stop.

Many years a go my buddy thought it would be funny to get a ladder onto a houseboat I lived in, and come through a window with a Machete to scare me in the dark. He almost was on the receiving end of a 7mm deer rifle I had all ready to go laying prone in the living room - I heard someone on the roof; 3am. Luckily, he had a distinct snicker that I heard in the dark. That snicker saved his life.

I love pranks and jokes as much as the next guy but something like that is just not smart.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top