JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been interested in joining the freemasons for over 7 years now. The farthest I ever got was a tour around the lodge in vancouver, washington by a very nice member. I didn't know what to do so I simply went to their building and walked in. He spent over an hour with me and was very helpful. It has been years since then, and I now live in a different area (hillsboro Oregon). I know there is a lodge not far from my house, but I would feel more comfortable talking to members on the forum that are also freemasons. If you value your privacy, please feel free to PM me instead of posting on the thread. The primary questions I have for masons out there are,
"Why are you a mason?"
"Is freemasonry what you thought it would be?"
"Are you disappointed, or pleasantly surprised with your membership experiences?"
"Is it worth joining in your opinion"
"Does freemasonry attract a higher caliber of people to its lodges, or do you find it attracts the "weird" or "disenfranchised." members of society.
Is joining a lodge any more intellectually stimulating than joining a great online forum?

thank you for your help. I hope none of my questions would be considered offensive or off putting. I'm simply curious.

Ive been interested myself, in my opinion atleast the few that ive met i dont think they admit freaks and geeks seems they have a pretty good screening process, i drive by the lodge on 92nd everyday i should stop in sometime

Silly thread. The members of this forum that ARE would/will never answer these types of questions on an open forum. No, I am not a member, but I know just enough to know that I am correct.

I will go as far as suggesting that the Mods close this thread up because its going to go nowhere.

Silly thread. The members of this forum that ARE would/will never answer these types of questions on an open forum. No, I am not a member, but I know just enough to know that I am correct.

Except that you are not.

I am a Mason and I'm happy to answer his questions.

99.9% of Freemasonry is completely non-secret. In fact, the only "secret" things are the passwords and handshakes. And if you wanted to know those, it's not hard to find out in this day and age.

I was actively involved in Masonry for about four years when I lived in Michigan. I moved and have not been active since, so I'm perhaps 15 years out of date. But at least in the US, the experience is pretty universal.

To answer the OP:

"Why are you a mason?"

I joined because I have old, traditional things. My initial exposure to Freemasonry was Kipling's The Man Who Would Be King and then a lot of reading after that. A fraternal organization with ancient traditions sounded interesting to me.

"Is freemasonry what you thought it would be?"

Yes, pretty much. We did a lot of charity work. I enjoyed my time in the Lodge. Most of it was doing the initiation rituals for new members, doing charity work (ringing bells at Christmas, visiting veterans/sick members, volunteering in local community activities, etc.), and having social events in the Lodge like various meals, games, etc.

There are some big differences between the Masons and other fraternal orders. There's no drinking and discussion of religion or politics is forbidden because they cause fights.

"Are you disappointed, or pleasantly surprised with your membership experiences?"

Neither really because I'd researched a lot. I honestly don't think Freemasonry is a growing world though. Nor are the Elks, Moose, etc. People sit home and watch satellite TV or play video games these days. There is a definite bias towards older people.

"Is it worth joining in your opinion"

I can't answer that - depends on you.

"Does freemasonry attract a higher caliber of people to its lodges, or do you find it attracts the "weird" or
"disenfranchised." members of society.

The guys at my Lodge were surprisingly diverse. There were a lot of local attorneys and businesspeople, as well as blue-collar working folk. Definitely not a bunch of misfits.

"Is joining a lodge any more intellectually stimulating than joining a great online forum?"

Mmmm...not sure. I guess I never thought of Masonry as a great intellectual pursuit. More of a fraternal one. They do take the idea of fraternity very seriously - had I ever been in need, I had no doubt my brothers would have helped out.

Why haven't I been involved since? I had lots of free time when I was in college, now I have three kids and work full-time plus. I've considered getting involved again but haven't had time. I guess I'm symptomatic of what I said above.

I would talk to a local Lodge or two and get an idea of what they do on a weekly basis. Maybe get a copy of their calendar or newsletter. Definitely shop around. Where I grew up, there was one very active, big Lodge that had a lot going for it, as well as three or four smaller Lodges, some of which were on the edge of winking out. You want to join the most active one in your area.

You can find more info in this FAQ, which I wrote about 10 years ago (and has been extensively modified since then by others): Usenet Freemasonry FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

The above sums it up pretty well. It is a group of honorable men, who seek to do good, encourage each other in life, provide relief for those in distress, and keep tradition alive. We honor our elder members and those who have achieved rank in the group, but all are considered equal. A belief in God is required to join, you are investigated by a committee, voted on then go through the initiation process. You will need to learn by memory some important ritual work, and recite it upon questioning in Lodge.

The Masonic Lodge in Oregon supports the Masonic and Eastern Star Home at Jennings McCall in Forest Grove. Masons raise and give away millions of dollars a year in relief and charitable needs. There is a tendency for the majority of the members to be older, but there is also a new generation (s) of Masons who are keeping the fraternity alive and well. We have a Mason in our Lodge who is 98, and one who is 25.

I am a 3rd generation Master Mason, raised in 1983, observing 30 years of membership this last week. My father was Lodge Secretary, my Uncle was a 32nd degree Mason, and State Commander of the Knights Templar in CA many years ago. A great number of historical and political figures were Masons, Ben Franklin, George Washington, Harry Truman, Ernest Borgnine.

We do not drink in Lodge or building, but some groups gather for refreshment and cigars at establishments afterwards.

Masonic Grand Lodge of Oregon :: Home

homeImage.jpg

"Masonic labor is purely a labor of love. He who seeks to draw Masonic wages in gold and silver will be disappointed. The wages of a Mason are in the dealings with one another; sympathy begets sympathy, kindness begets kindness, helpfulness begets helpfulness, and these are the wages of a Mason."

- Brother Benjamin Franklin

homeImage.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews