JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a bunch of freedom munitions 5.56 reman that I have finally started to shoot. Its maybe 5 or 6 years old, kept in a climate control area. I was shooting it out of a quality AR .223 Wylde upper, and noticed split necks in the casings after shooting. This would happen every 10 rounds or so, I would find one. All the brass is LC. Doesn't appear to be annealed either. I now its not the best quality ammo. Freedom munitions has not gotten back to be either. Is this stuff ok to still shoot? or should I hold out? Thanks

Normally, split necks are a sign for caution, but the neck only splitting should not post much of a problem. Case body or neck splits are pull the bullets and toss the rest. The brass seems to be brittle and may have been range pickups that had ??? firings before. Annealing would have prevented this, but volume loaders do not worry about that.

yeah its just the neck splitting, have not see any case bodies split. Guess my main concern is doing any damage to the rifle/chamber. I do reload, but am not in the mood to pull over 400 rounds apart for the bullets haha. Im sure they just used range brass from the military, probably why it is splitting.

That's weird. I've bought and shot thousands of rounds from them, mostly mid range and economy, and never had an issue. And I've been through many cases of 9mm, standard velocity and Hush, also 38 wadcutter and hollowpoint. They were one of my go-tos when I was stacking it deep. Not one misfire or cracked case. I'm sure I've reloaded some of their brass, especially LC but I don't recall any issues there either.

Yeah same here, gone through a ton of their 9mm. It's kinda of a bummer, it has done this with a couple different ARs as well. Kind of frustrating is that I haven't heard back from them in a few days now.

If it was me, I'd shoot them but certainly not reload them. And for God's sake, do everyone a favor and smash them with a hammer if you scrap them. Me, I'd toss the empties into the household trash so they'd get the burial they so richly deserve.

That's weird. I've bought and shot thousands of rounds from them, mostly mid range and economy, and never had an issue. And I've been through many cases of 9mm, standard velocity and Hush, also 38 wadcutter and hollowpoint. They were one of my go-tos when I was stacking it deep. Not one misfire or cracked case. I'm sure I've reloaded some of their brass, especially LC but I don't recall any issues there either.
You were luckier than I was. 5-10 years ago, I bought 500 rounds of Freedom 9mm and there was a dozen or more with effed up primers, as in inverted or non-existent. Got crickets when I called them. They get a hard pass from me regardless of the price.

You were luckier than I was. 5-10 years ago, I bought 500 rounds of Freedom 9mm and there was a dozen or more with effed up primers, as in inverted or non-existent. Got crickets when I called them. They get a hard pass from me regardless of the price.

Yup if I don't get a resolve from FM then certainly will be the last time I buy.

Yeah I get that, I knew these weren't precision ammo, but feel it's ridiculous they would sell the stuff with a potential safety issue. Then customer service not even respond. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've been processing some mixed .223/.556 reman that came from Curt's Discount Shooters Supply. Probably 2013-14? "Rogue Defense" is on the label. I've noticed some sign of fatigue on the case mouths. No actual cracks but some look like they might with another firing.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads