JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been looking for a stainless Blackhawk in 45 colt.Pretty hard to find.I just don't want another caliber,so don't want to go to 44mag. Either way they are in the $800-900 range.
Now I have looked into a Freedom Arms 454,so I could shoot 45c and have the option of 454,but those are freeken expensive.$1500+ past $2500.

So the real question is,are the Magnum Research single actions every bit as good a gun as the Rugers? These are in the $800-900 range like the Rugers. Much more my price range.
Anybody have one of these they love,like,wish they wouldn't have bought?

Thanks for lookin'
Mike

Magnum Research single actions are every bit as good a gun as the Rugers...They are way more stout and can handle the 454 in a single action. Rugers are cute but IMR's are built to hunt! That link is a crock you do not know the hole story. I have had very good customer service from them. I had a 44 desert eagle that I hunted with for years. One day I fell with it and messed up the sights. I sent it back with a letter telling them what happend. They put on a set of fully adjustable sights for free! I did have to pay for shipping...LOL

Freedom Arms is twice the gun of the others, hence twice the price. If you need one now, I would go with the Ruger. If you can wait and save up the cash, FA is about as good as it gets

Forgot about this thread.
First,I like single actions and don't find Mag Research uglier than any other singe action revolver
Second I always take what happens on one link with a grain of salt.The guy may have ordered the gun or was rude when he called,who knows?

Now I have thought of saving up for a FA,as that's what I usually do.Save and buy top quality.
Unless it won't be used to it's potential. I'll hardly ever run 454's though it,it will mostly be 45c. So the extra $1000 may be wasted. But the idea was to have it in case I need that heavy round for some reason.
I mean what if like 10 zombies lined up perfectly? 45c won't cut it

I have been contemplating the Ruger and the S&W's too.
Right now I have an upper to pay for though!

Thanks guys:s0155:
Mike

I have a freedom arms 454 casull 7.5"barrel very low round count im looking to sell, if interested.
I had 3 different configuration's of this pistol. I think it by far the best single action wheel gun on the market. They are just so well made and shoot phenomenal... i sold my 5"barrel and am keeping my 4 3/4".. its my favorite ..

Aren't BFRs built on a Ruger Blackhawk frame?
..or am I confusing them with another brand?
Straight from Magnums website

Precision Center BFR single action 5 shot revolvers start life with our own super strong magnum frames, grip frames and cylinders. They 100% made in the United States with American steel and components.

Aren't BFRs built on a Ruger Blackhawk frame?
..or am I confusing them with another brand?

Straight from Magnums website

Precision Center BFR single action 5 shot revolvers start life with our own super strong magnum frames, grip frames and cylinders. They 100% made in the United States with American steel and components.

I know one of the 2 started life with Ruger frames.Just put their own guts in to make the 5 shot instead of 6

Hi,

I can't speak to the Magnum Research, however I can speak to the other two. I included the price not to brag, but to give you an idea what you can find used.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC, stainless with the 5.5" barrel. I picked it up at the gunshow from a local dealer. It was in good shape with what appeared to be a low round count for $450. I have been very pleased with the revolver, it is very accurate specifcally with 255 gr lead flat nose. If you read a bit, many will send the cylinder to have the throats opened up a bit as they are tight from the factory. I have planned on doing this, however it is more accurate than I am so I haven't worried about it. Not sure if you reload, but if you do this cartridge in the blackhawk has a lot of options. You can load cowboy velocity loads for plinking or load up hot loads (most reloading manuals have a TC/Ruger only section) that are just a bit behind .44 mag velocities due to the strength of the revolver.

Earlier this year my wife bought me a FA 454! It is the field grade that had been ported and came with the 45LC cylinder as well for $850. The 454 cylinder was very clean and 45lc cylinder looked like it had a few rounds, but not much. What you hear about FA machining is true. It is extremely well built with tight tolerances and the action is crisp and smooth. One thing to note is that FA does not recomend shooting 45lc through the 454 cylinder. In order to have the extra cylinder, the gun must be sent to FA as they drill the cylinder in the pistol to ensure the best possible cylinder to barrel alignment. Also, the 45lc cylinder will not chamber a 454 round. Only thing that I have not liked about the FA is the field grade comes with pachmayr grips which I am not all that fond of and the only option to change the grips it so send to FA or a custom grip maker.

Not sure if this helps. Honestly you can't go wrong with the FA or Ruger in my opinion.

Good luck!

Matt

Not a lot of Ruger 45c stainless out there that I have seen.Maybe a few 4 5/8bbl but not the 5 or 7" models.Actually not a lot of and 45c Blackhawks,but plenty of Vaqueros. Kind of want the sites though.

And doing some reading on the reloads shows that you can pump up the 45c but the brass isn't as thick as the 44mag brass.

I love my 454 BFR 7 1/2" Milk jugs @ 100 yards are a peice of cake! @ 25 yards all five are near one hole! If you get a BFR make sure it is a JT perfix SS#
DSC013012.JPG
Shot this pork @ 25 yards with a 300 gr Castperformance WFN :s0155:
002397.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads