JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm curious, why rechamber it? Isn't 8mm a pretty powerful and still plentiful round?
I want a new barrel anyway, for a variety of reasons, and I already load for .308 and have a bunch of ammo.

Like someone else said if I rechamber I'd want a caliber with a good variety of bullet weights and designs, since I plan to shoot high velocity and also heavy subsonic loads through a suppressor.

I'm curious, why rechamber it? Isn't 8mm a pretty powerful and still plentiful round?

I want a new barrel anyway, for a variety of reasons, and I already load for .308 and have a bunch of ammo.

Like someone else said if I rechamber I'd want a caliber with a good variety of bullet weights and designs, since I plan to shoot high velocity and also heavy subsonic loads through a suppressor.
.300 PRC

I got an essentially free Mauser 98 recently. It's already heavily sporterized unfortunately, but it presents a good opportunity for a project.

I was thinking a scout rifle, having it rebarreled for .308, put it in an ultralight stock and put a LPV scout scope on it so I could still use stripper clips.

Thoughts? Other ideas? Anyone had something like this done and know a ballpark cost so I can plan for it?
Is it a k98 or some sort of Czech variant?

I got an essentially free Mauser 98 recently. It's already heavily sporterized unfortunately, but it presents a good opportunity for a project.

I was thinking a scout rifle, having it rebarreled for .308, put it in an ultralight stock and put a LPV scout scope on it so I could still use stripper clips.

Thoughts? Other ideas? Anyone had something like this done and know a ballpark cost so I can plan for it?
You have a long action, .308 is a short action cartridge.
I'd do a standard length cartridge like .280 Rem, .280 Ackley, 6.5x55 Swede, 270 Win

You have a long action, .308 is a short action cartridge.
I'd do a standard length cartridge like .280 Rem, .280 Ackley, 6.5x55 Swede, 270 Win
My thinking with .308 is that I could seat bullets really long that way, particularly with heavy bullets for subsonic, suppressed use. Thinking like 260 grain lead bullets.

If you like .308, I say go for it. After a decent amout of sporterization, I feel you can treat the rifle as a barreled action and create what you want, how you want it (on an excellent quality Mauser reciever!)

Why not return it to its original (ish) condition? Hunt up the surplus parts and fill the screw holes?

It will never be perfect but, likely more enjoyable and a cheaper project.

I took a bastardized No. 4 Enfield and turned it into a No. 5 Jungle Carbine in .45 acp that came out cool.

Same company has a 98 Mauser to 45 acp conversion kit.

85F67AD6-DE34-4E36-BDCD-EA37BA8EF57A.jpeg 1D8E994A-1572-45E3-8DD8-DB4986784113.jpeg

Why not return it to its original (ish) condition? Hunt up the surplus parts and fill the screw holes?

It will never be perfect but, likely more enjoyable and a cheaper project.

I took a bastardized No. 4 Enfield and turned it into a No. 5 Jungle Carbine in .45 acp that came out cool.

Same company has a 98 Mauser to 45 acp conversion kit.

View attachment 1039679 View attachment 1039680
I did think about that for sure, and I haven't ruled it out.

It would be especially cool if I could get it in like .44 or .357 magnum.

Two of my sporterized Mauser 98s are in 30-06. They were purchased that way. So don't blame me.

Wile_E_Coyote_Cerificate.jpg

Yes, modifications to the magazine were needed to reliably house 5 cartridges and have them feeding from the magazine. BUT......that being said, the mods were easy enough.

NO, I don't use the stripper clips with these. Though I guess with a little more modification it could be "fixed".

Mauser-98.jpg

Aloha, Mark

PS......

Just know that you could buy a complete rifle for less than building a custom off your action! But that has not stopped me before. One of my first was a K 98 rebarreled to 30-06, with a wild Red White and Blue laminated stock! It was just the thing in 1976! The stock was from a Herter Catalog, it had a low swing safety installed, and D&Ted for a scope mount. With a barrel, safety, stock, and scope mount you will be in it around $1000. Just know that before you start. DR
Sorry I meant to say "Scope Mount". A scope would easily take the project over 1000! DR

Last Edited:
It is a 'Vette. Not to my taste, but if he likes it, more power to him.

World would be a better place if people would keep to their own devices and quit telling everyone else what to do with their own bubblegum.
But what about when we're being asked, like this thread? :D (I agree on the Corvette and it's owner)

On the rifle in question, I'd do an 8mm-06 rechamber, retaining the original barrel. The Schnabel forend and white line spacers on @ma96782 's sporter are vintage cool, but I'd want to be sure it had a good amount of checkering. @Ura-Ki should show us some of his projects, too.
I don't have much love to give the scout scope placement. It's a balance thing to me, also. Barrel length on this project would play a good part in cartridge choice.
Given @jordanka16 's stated parameters, I'd use an 18" sporter weight barrel for the 308 in a light, trim stock, pretty much duplicating several companies compact versions. Put a scope on using previously machined holes, employing quick release rings with a ghost ring sight for backup use.

I usually decide what I want to do, do it and then cry later at the price. :oops:
Ruger rifle, new in box $369 (Bi-Mart, on sale 10ish years ago)
Boyd's stock $330
Timney trigger $125
Rechamber (30-06 AI) $150
Rings (Ruger Ebay) $60
----------------------------------------------
Total $1031

Take away the price of the rifle and I'm in it less than $700, not counting glass. However, this is a stainless rifle and refinishing is just a trip through the blasting cabinet, unlike a blued gun.

So then, thinking about this project. NOT. Anyway, I took my Mauser (Yugo, M24/47 in 8mm) out shooting today.
1636329020533.jpeg

1636329126168.jpeg

NOPE.....I'm keeping this one, just the way it is.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top