J&B Firearm Sales
Simply Triggers
HighLine Firearms
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Gun Deals
Low Price Guns

jordanka16

Reactions
I'm curious, why rechamber it? Isn't 8mm a pretty powerful and still plentiful round?
I want a new barrel anyway, for a variety of reasons, and I already load for .308 and have a bunch of ammo.

Like someone else said if I rechamber I'd want a caliber with a good variety of bullet weights and designs, since I plan to shoot high velocity and also heavy subsonic loads through a suppressor.

I'm curious, why rechamber it? Isn't 8mm a pretty powerful and still plentiful round?

I want a new barrel anyway, for a variety of reasons, and I already load for .308 and have a bunch of ammo.

Like someone else said if I rechamber I'd want a caliber with a good variety of bullet weights and designs, since I plan to shoot high velocity and also heavy subsonic loads through a suppressor.
.300 PRC

Reactions
I got an essentially free Mauser 98 recently. It's already heavily sporterized unfortunately, but it presents a good opportunity for a project.

I was thinking a scout rifle, having it rebarreled for .308, put it in an ultralight stock and put a LPV scout scope on it so I could still use stripper clips.

Thoughts? Other ideas? Anyone had something like this done and know a ballpark cost so I can plan for it?
Is it a k98 or some sort of Czech variant?

I got an essentially free Mauser 98 recently. It's already heavily sporterized unfortunately, but it presents a good opportunity for a project.

I was thinking a scout rifle, having it rebarreled for .308, put it in an ultralight stock and put a LPV scout scope on it so I could still use stripper clips.

Thoughts? Other ideas? Anyone had something like this done and know a ballpark cost so I can plan for it?
You have a long action, .308 is a short action cartridge.
I'd do a standard length cartridge like .280 Rem, .280 Ackley, 6.5x55 Swede, 270 Win

Gotyoursix

Reactions
If you like .308, I say go for it. After a decent amout of sporterization, I feel you can treat the rifle as a barreled action and create what you want, how you want it (on an excellent quality Mauser reciever!)

Deavis

Reactions
Why not return it to its original (ish) condition? Hunt up the surplus parts and fill the screw holes?

It will never be perfect but, likely more enjoyable and a cheaper project.

I took a bastardized No. 4 Enfield and turned it into a No. 5 Jungle Carbine in .45 acp that came out cool.

Same company has a 98 Mauser to 45 acp conversion kit.

85F67AD6-DE34-4E36-BDCD-EA37BA8EF57A.jpeg 1D8E994A-1572-45E3-8DD8-DB4986784113.jpeg

jordanka16

Reactions
Why not return it to its original (ish) condition? Hunt up the surplus parts and fill the screw holes?

It will never be perfect but, likely more enjoyable and a cheaper project.

I took a bastardized No. 4 Enfield and turned it into a No. 5 Jungle Carbine in .45 acp that came out cool.

Same company has a 98 Mauser to 45 acp conversion kit.

View attachment 1039679 View attachment 1039680
I did think about that for sure, and I haven't ruled it out.

It would be especially cool if I could get it in like .44 or .357 magnum.

ma96782

Reactions
Two of my sporterized Mauser 98s are in 30-06. They were purchased that way. So don't blame me.

Wile_E_Coyote_Cerificate.jpg

Yes, modifications to the magazine were needed to reliably house 5 cartridges and have them feeding from the magazine. BUT......that being said, the mods were easy enough.

NO, I don't use the stripper clips with these. Though I guess with a little more modification it could be "fixed".

Mauser-98.jpg

Aloha, Mark

PS......

Reactions
Just know that you could buy a complete rifle for less than building a custom off your action! But that has not stopped me before. One of my first was a K 98 rebarreled to 30-06, with a wild Red White and Blue laminated stock! It was just the thing in 1976! The stock was from a Herter Catalog, it had a low swing safety installed, and D&Ted for a scope mount. With a barrel, safety, stock, and scope mount you will be in it around $1000. Just know that before you start. DR
Sorry I meant to say "Scope Mount". A scope would easily take the project over 1000! DR

Last Edited:
Cerberus Training Group
Sporting Systems
Copeland Custom Gunworks
Southwest Firearms
Let Freedom Ring
Advertise on Northwest Firearms

Latest Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads