JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates

Upcoming Dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Los_Angeles

This event has passed and there are no upcoming dates
Reactions
Created by Safer Homes, Suicide Aware & Forefront Suicide Prevention, a center of excellence at the University of Washington

Since the outbreak of COVID-19, historic numbers of people have purchased firearms, with unprecedented numbers of first-time buyers and inexperienced firearms owners.

In response, Safer Homes, Suicide Aware is launching a firearms safety webinar to address the training needs of first time buyers and others who are new to firearms ownership. This curriculum, developed in partnership with the Safer Homes Task Force and the Second Amendment Foundation, provides a modern, compelling overview of firearms safety inclusive of firearms suicide – the leading type of firearm fatality. The presenters hold a variety of professional certifications as firearms instructors and have extensive backgrounds in both the armed forces of the United States and private-sector marksmanship training.

This course is open to all, but is particularly relevant for new or inexperienced firearms owners, those who are returning to firearms ownership after a long absence, or anyone else who wishes to attend a refresher course

INITATIVE 1639

This course meets all requirements set forth for compliance with Initiative 1639 and a certificate of completion can be provided upon request.

RESTIGER HERE

http://bit.ly/FirearmSafetyApril26th

If the SAF endorses the curriculum that's a very positive sign. Just an FYI for the OP, often times anything connected with a government university is politically-driven anti-gun content. That's why you might see some skepticism.

If the SAF endorses the curriculum that's a very positive sign. Just an FYI for the OP, often times anything connected with a government university is politically-driven anti-gun content. That's why you might see some skepticism.
It is very gun positive! Both the program manager and myself are avid 2A enthusiasts, civilian firearms instructors and USMC veterans. Firearms-related suicide ravages our community putting us in a bad light.

Here are the base facts:
76% percent of gun deaths in WA are suicides (CDC WISQARS 2007-2017). Nationally, 60% suicide. Here is the Pew Research Study utilizing CDC fatality statistics based on information contained in death certificates.

By reducing the number firearms suicides, the number would decrease, hopefully decreasing the call for gun control policy.

You should check out the course!

If the SAF endorses the curriculum that's a very positive sign. Just an FYI for the OP, often times anything connected with a government university is politically-driven anti-gun content. That's why you might see some skepticism.D
Ding ding ding!!! Both of my children have graduated the UW and seem to have lost any interest in truth. It's the unseen epidemic.

If this course is ultimately valuable, then fine. I have too many decades experience from within government to trust government, and I did not trust it before that.

Ding ding ding!!! Both of my children have graduated the UW and seem to have lost any interest in truth. It's the unseen epidemic.

If this course is ultimately valuable, then fine. I have too many decades experience from within government to trust government, and I did not trust it before that.
Fair enough!

We most likely will be moving from UW over to 2AF within the next legislative session as we are taxpayer funded.

You won't be able to change their mind, but other people might. Being their father you're too close to the situation for them to react with any objectivity, only emotion.

I did an undergrad in 2012 and a graduate in 2019. That campus is filled with devout marxists, utopia seeking leftists, a whole lot of people who know things that just aren't so, and sheeple willing to be used as useful idiots.

How did I survive? Well, sticking to the facts and not straying from them helps a lot. Not caring about the majority of the classroom hating me and arguing with me (and losing) didn't hurt either. Peer pressure is a major thing, most people aren't willing to go that hard against the grain.

It is very gun positive! Both the program manager and myself are avid 2A enthusiasts, civilian firearms instructors and USMC veterans. Firearms-related suicide ravages our community putting us in a bad light.

Here are the base facts:
76% percent of gun deaths in WA are suicides (CDC WISQARS 2007-2017). Nationally, 60% suicide. Here is the Pew Research Study utilizing CDC fatality statistics based on information contained in death certificates.

By reducing the number firearms suicides, the number would decrease, hopefully decreasing the call for gun control policy.

You should check out the course!
Might just do that. Thank you for your service! What is the I-1639 compliant jazz?

Might just do that. Thank you for your service! What is the I-1639 compliant jazz?
I-1639 states that training is a requirement for purchasing a semiautomatic rifle.

Only applies to purchases of semiautomatic assault rifles after July 1, 2019.
Owners of semiautomatic assault rifles who obtained their firearm before July 1, 2019 are not required to have training.

The training must address six different topics, you can find them here:

https://www.atg.wa.gov/initiative-1639#6 secure storage

Only the best of intentions. Why do I feel like I am being placed in a handbasket?
My son and I attended a firearms "care and maintenance" course, at a local community college, several years ago. I, too, had numerous reservations, especially when our instructor insisted we refer to our guns as "firearms", at all times, when were were on campus. However, we had no issues with anyone.

I agree with your hesitation about the UW hosting such a course...I know a former employee of that college who argues that NOBODY should own as much wealth as Bill gates. I've seen reports about things like Global Warming, radio frequencies causing cancer and statistics about the high rate of accidental deaths, related to firearms (which wholly disregarded the greater numbers of deaths due to falls and poisonings), come from that campus.

The sad thing is that many great and wonderful things also come from UW...advances in medicine and nuclear technology, but thanks to politics, we are placed in a position of mistrust. Hopefully, this course will be a blessing to the attendees, who seriously need such assistance, and not just a backdoor manner of registering guns and owners for the person who currently resides in the Governor's mansion.

As a final note...I'm relying upon my aging memory about the UW reports I referenced, above. I may be incorrect on one or more of them, so if someone wishes to double-check, and respond to my comment, do so with that caveat in mind, and please don't launch a personal tirade against this old guy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top