JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was surprised last night when I discovered that north medford Fred Myers store has a dedicated area for gun sale. Not only rifles, but also pistols are displayed. Not sure if Walmart is gun owner friendly, but Fred Myers definitely wants a piece of cake from gun sale business.

Kinda a rehash of previous threads, but:

Fred Meyer began about a year ago experimenting with selling guns and ammo in thier stores again. (before bought by kroger they did.) They started with semi-rural FM's up north, and the Alaska ones sold them still anyway so they took data from there as well. IF the pilot program succeeded they would expand to more stores and eventually the entire chain.

So, my guess is the program's succeeding, and they're expanding. I haven't been in the North FM in a while, mostly just to grab lunch, hadn't really explored after the remodel (which should of been a hint honestly. :s0129:). But I guess i'll be making a stop today. Previous observers have said the initial stock was a little meager, with comparable prices to say, Sportsman's, maybe cheaper. obviously the start will be meager because they gotta dust off those old supplier books and get stock again. We'll see what happens but honestly i'd buy from FM if it meant not buying from other places. (which is a 10-50 post thread in itself, so i'll leave it at that.)

Let's see what they're sellin'. :s0155:

My local Freddy's has been selling guns, ammo, etc. for several months. I can get better gun prices elsewhere, but I have made ammo purchases there.

The down side is, I have heard the sales clerk give out bad advice to potential gun buyers. The guy who runs the gun counter, is the same guy who sells paint and hardware. Apparently no one in my local store really knows much about firearms, so if you are not sure about what you want, I'd go elsewhere. The store manager has the FFL, but there is no requirement to know anything about guns in order to sell them.

The down side is, I have heard the sales clerk give out bad advice to potential gun buyers. The guy who runs the gun counter, is the same guy who sells paint and hardware.

Yeah I can agree with that. Having worked for the company before, unless they have personal knowledge, take anything said with a grain of salt. All they want is a sale, or to go back to thier department lol, sale optional. Highly doubtful they'd hire a dedicated person for guns/ammo/background calls, so you'll be getting either a 'sporting goods', auto, or hardware attendant, who most likely has alot to do (we usually did :(). If you go in, know what you want.

I haven't seen any of the WA stores even selling ammo, let alone guns. They have the locked cases, but all they contain is paintball, pellet and BB guns.

And the Wal*Marts have any ammo left well hidden under the counter and locked up.

Most Safeways don't even sell gun magazines anymore here.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
ACSWW member

Here's the list of FM stores I have been able to compile so far...... North Medford. Newberg, Scapoose and Warrenton by Astoria. I think someone also mentioned Coos Bay, but I'm not sure on that one. I don't know if any WA stores are selling firearms yet. I would recommend that you send an email or letter to Fred Meyer headquarters in Portland and show your support!

I think this is really good news - - they made the move away from selling guns, then ammo, here in Albany about 15 years ago, before Kroger bought them. I'm planning on letting Freddy management hear that about this - that it is a GOOD move, and I would encourage everyone on the board to do so as well. I'd also suggest that members here do the same - this change is good news for gun owners.

Now, I wonder what would happen if some of us slightly more knowledgable folks decided to moonlight at Fred's behind the gun counter....

It must have been my lucky day not long ago. A walmart in Puyallup was remodeling and I could just pick the amo off the shelf myself. I paid for it and then realized I forgot some paint for my BBQ. So I bought that, and I HAD to give them my zip code to make that purchase. :huh:

Last Edited:
They gotta have that zip code marketing data! Just transpose numbers or give one from another area nearby. My favorite zip to use is 90210. My phone number is often 867-5309.

Fred Meyers and Wallmart both have sold firearms in smaller / more rural settings. Where there are not a lot of sources.
They do not advertise which stores have them so you may have to call.

I figured WEood burn would have one - Nope But found Freddies in Newberg has them.
I think they are keeping it low key.
Some stores are doing a pretty good business.
Wallmart - if they do not have it will order it - at least the place I was at
Saves driving in

I do not know if they cover sales int he local papers or if yo need to go it.

Here is a crappy cell phone photo of the Newberg Fred Meyers gun counter.

FMguns.jpg

It looked to me that they had a larger selection than my local Bi-Mart. The prices were about what you'd expect, but it did look like they do have some guns on sale from time to time. There were the orange sale tags on a few and the orange stubs left behind from previous sale tags. I guess you'd just have to go into the store weekly and check to see what's on sale that week.

And they have those short guns there in the case. Bi-Mart USED to sell handguns, but it's been a L-O-N-G time. Bought my LCP from Freddies in Newberg last year. Decent price, good service. Asked them about a couple of others that I might be interested in, they were more than willing to order in anything they didn't stock.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top