JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You got to do what you've got to do man! I'm mainly about the prices. Really glad I've got Winco. But then I drive past an Albertson's, Safeway and Fred Meyer to get to Winco. I've really come to prefer the Wallmart-esque ambiance of Winco. Here in the city the people that shop Winco are there to save money. Not the kind of people that seem sucked in by stoopid commercials.
Here in oh-so-cosmopolitan south Eugene we have a choice between Market of Choice (where people pay double to pretend they are shopping in Europe), SafewAlbertson's (giant 7-11s), and real 7-11s. To get to a Costco or Winco you have to drive at least 7 miles and 30 minutes. But here's why I make the drive:

Reser's potato salad - $5.95 Winco, $9.95 Safeway
Breyer's ice cream - $2.97 Winco, $6.95 Safeway
Gala apples - $.88/lb Winco, $1.99 Safeway
Chicken thighs - $1.48/lb Winco, $2.99/lb Safeway
Milk - $3.49 Winco, $5.99 Safeway

Total: $20.31 Winco, $41.79 Safeway

And the city council can't figure out why there's so much cross town traffic and congestion all the time.

Here in oh-so-cosmopolitan south Eugene we have a choice between Market of Choice (where people pay double to pretend they are shopping in Europe), SafewAlbertson's (giant 7-11s), and real 7-11s. To get to a Costco or Winco you have to drive at least 7 miles and 30 minutes. But here's why I make the drive:

Reser's potato salad - $5.95 Winco, $9.95 Safeway
Breyer's ice cream - $2.97 Winco, $6.95 Safeway
Gala apples - $.88/lb Winco, $1.99 Safeway
Chicken thighs - $1.48/lb Winco, $2.99/lb Safeway
Milk - $3.49 Winco, $5.99 Safeway

Total: $20.31 Winco, $41.79 Safeway

And the city council can't figure out why there's so much cross town traffic and congestion all the time.
Oh I know the savings are at Winco. That's where I shop 99% of the time. I was just telling how I think the formerly great, Portland original, Fred Meyers' sucks. If I didn't have Winco in my town, but had Fred's and Safebertsons, I'd shop Safebertson's. "Albertway's"? I'd do Thriftway and Sentry before both of them. HA!

Oh I know the savings are at Winco. That's where I shop 99% of the time. I was just telling how I think the formerly great, Portland original, Fred Meyers' sucks. If I didn't have Winco in my town, but had Fred's and Safebertsons, I'd shop Safebertson's. "Albertway's"? I'd do Thriftway and Sentry before both of them. HA!
Winco, Costco, Grocery Outlet and Foodservice Warehouse (was Cash n Carry) for a lot of bulk items. Safeway mostly if I need something from their bakery.

Yeah - I used to write pre-press software back until about 2004 (it was the page layout software for magazines/newspapers/books). Even then the writing was on the wall (pun intended). I imagine the printing industry is printing a lot less than it was back then as most content is now consumed electronically. Most books I read are Kindle or PDF/EPub, almost all articles/etc. are HTML.

In the last week I have downloaded about 300 GB of various free ZIM, PDF and ePub books/magazines/etc. as part of my preps. I downloaded a bi-monthly cache of Wikipedia and other Wikimedia caches (WikiMed, Wikitionary, etc.). Now that I have Starlink that is much easier to accomplish.

As for gun mags, most (all?) of them are available online and there is some pretty good stuff online that you can't find in magazines or books.
You can always tell who the OG's in that industry are by mentioning Quark and seeing if they stare blankly or flinch in rediscovered PTSD ;)
Still have eye pain from cutting rubylith :s0141:

Apparently Fred Meyer in Redmond has taken out all their gun magazines. Not a single one left. Maybe I dont need to shop there anymore? Anyone else notice this at their Fred Meyers?
Fred Meyer used to be a good gun store. They were bought out by a big anti-gun, WOKE, left wing radical conglomerate company called KROGER. I first went to their stores in North Carolina when I found out who they were and the good conservatives in the south informed me of them. Sad, but true. Expensive and not gun or conservative friendly.

Blast from the past...

How many of you native Portlanders remember Kienow's grocery stores? Where I grew up we went to the one in Raleigh Hills. Much better than the nearby Fred Meyer, even back then.

If you're a real Portland native you may even remember Piggly Wiggly. Used to love the Piggly Wiggly in Hillsdale as a kid because during summertime they would freeze the Milk Shake candy bars. Delicious...

Ironic, my local Fred Myer has armed guards.
The Fred's I shop most of the time now has gone to that too which really shocked me the first time I saw it. Don't know when they stared doing that. It's so far the only one I have seen them in too. I first saw one around the holidays and thought maybe just for the rush but they are still there even in the early morning when I stop in after work. Seems strange that so far it's only at the one store. :confused:

_nc_ohc=BynGAlSFY8cAX8J0o5b&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=-6IDSiIn1-cAX8dyDM4&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Blast from the past...

How many of you native Portlanders remember Kienow's grocery stores? Where I grew up we went to the one in Raleigh Hills. Much better than the nearby Fred Meyer, even back then.

If you're a real Portland native you may even remember Piggly Wiggly. Used to love the Piggly Wiggly in Hillsdale as a kid because during summertime they would freeze the Milk Shake candy bars. Delicious...
I remember them both :)

Blast from the past...

Wifey was a front end manager at the Menlo Park store for the last four years they were open. The last month or so before they closed their doors, and were selling everything, she was at the Raleigh Hills store.

Grandma Clara's Potato salad was wonderful compared to any other I've ever tasted. Except for mine, of course. Everything now is total crap. The horseradish coated roasts were a Kienow's special too.

Blast from the past...

We had a Piggly Wiggly just down the street. It was killed when they built a Tradewell across the street.

Definitely remembered Keinow's - I worked in the grocery industry through High School and through my 20's. Everybody wanted to work there because they had a reputation for treating their employees very well. The closest one was further than I wanted to commute.

Apparently Fred Meyer in Redmond has taken out all their gun magazines. Not a single one left. Maybe I dont need to shop there anymore? Anyone else notice this at their Fred Meyers?
Will check the next time there, get mine via mail. Our Freddy's eliminated their guns over a couple of years ago (Brookings).

Mine took out everything except "Guns of the Old West" and "Prepper." They used to carry the full portfolio of Recoil/American Survival Guide/Combat Handguns type stuff as recently as Saturday...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top