JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
US Army eyes new automatic rifle that fires with pressure equivalent to tank: report

Note their headline:

US Army eyes new automatic rifle that fires with pressure equivalent to tank: report

What does that mean?
How much pressure is in the breach when a modern tank fires? Different for SABOT vs HE ?

Now their subheadline is either outstanding, outlandish or misleading
New US Army assault rifle with power of a tank

I'm no tanker, my uncle rode with Patton in the desert, but those are powerful machines. How on earth could that be on a soldiers shoulder?

Military Times has a slightly different headline to this story.
More than a rifle: How a new 6.8mm round, advanced optics will make soldiers, Marines a lot deadlier

Military Firearms Fox News Report | National Review

TL;dr folks, not the .458 HAM'R, but rather the 6.8mm Remington SPC.

LOL. I saw that headline too...

From wikipedia on the Rheinmetall 120mm L55 cannon as used on Leopard 2A6 tanks; peak pressure is 84,122 PSI, propelling saboted rounds to velocities of 5,900+FPS :eek: says higher pressure than the L44 cannons used on US M1A1/A2 tanks.

So... they're wanting a 6.8 caliber doing muzzle energy 2-5× what 5.56 M855 are doing from 20" barrels... so theyre wanting it to do between 2,782 ft-lbs to 6,965 ft-lbs...

6.5 Creedmore does 2,430 ft-lbs with 120gr;
6.8 Rem Spc only does 1,780 ft-lbs with 85 gr from 16" barrel; however 6.5 Rem Magnum does 2,745 ft lbs with 120gr, probably from 24" barrel....

So basically theyre shooting for a major leap in ballistics while maintaining weight and recoil :rolleyes:
Ballistics, their goal seems to be similar performance to that found in the huge magnum cartridges (8mm rem magnum is doing 4,394 ft lbs out of 26 inch barrel with 180gr bullets)...

The technology that is being bantered around is telescoping polymer cased rounds. It is somehow able to produce higher velocities and does not exert the corresponding pressures traditional brass cased ammo would in the chamber. Pretty wild stuff.

The powder primer and projectile are all housed in some kind of polymer holder or case. It does not have a traditional brass casing.

Hm. Cased telescoped rounds. I guess reliable caseless ammo was really too much to ask for.... :rolleyes: I do seem to recall a while back that the US Mil was wanting to go caseless because of potential advantages of the concept.....such as not having brass to clean up, and being theoretically lighter than cased rounds.

They are supposedly lighter but bulkier. Also The polymer does not conduct heat like brass so weapon would tend to absorb the heat the brass casings would take normally away which is one of the hurdles.

I'm just waiting for the miscreants heads to blow from all the misinformation they have spewed. Sooner or later you'd think they would reach the saturation point.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top