JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Four men face charges related to poaching of bull elk

Appeared in print: Friday, Oct 23, 2009

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/cityregion/21953677-41/story.csp

Four Lane County area men are facing wildlife crime charges following the unlawful killing of four branch-antlered bull elk Tuesday south of Cottage Grove, Oregon State Police Fish & Wildlife Division troopers said.

During the late morning hours Tuesday, four bull elk described as a 3-point, 5-point, 6-point and 6-by-7 point were unlawfully killed on private property south of London Road about three miles south of Cottage Grove, police said.

Two troopers contacted area landowners who reported that hunters had trespassed on private lands to retrieve the poached bull elks.

The animals were part of a year-round herd that reached up to 70 elk.

Troopers praised landowners’ help in the ongoing investigation.

John Atwater, 50, of Cottage Grove, was cited on four counts of unlawful taking of bull elk and two counts of borrowing an elk tag.

David Pruitt, 78, of Cres*well, was cited for loaning an elk tag and aiding in a game offense.

Homer Rhodes, 74, of Cottage Grove, was cited for hunting on the enclosed land of another, loaning an elk tag and aiding in a game offense.

Christopher Stevens, 35, of Cottage Grove, was cited for aiding in a game offense.

The charges are class A misdemeanors, and additional charges may be pending, police said.

All four men were cited to appear in Lane County Circuit Court on Nov. 19.

The four bull elk were salvaged by troopers and the meat was taken to the Eugene Mission.

What is "aiding in a game offense", really mean. One guy could have just showed up with his truck, and not known anything about poaching...??? I'm not trying to defend him, it just sounds like trumped up charges. Besides, how much is an elk tag. I bet it's heck of a lot cheaper than a lawyer.

What is "aiding in a game offense", really mean. One guy could have just showed up with his truck, and not known anything about poaching...??? I'm not trying to defend him, it just sounds like trumped up charges. Besides, how much is an elk tag. I bet it's heck of a lot cheaper than a lawyer.

He very well could have been driving for the guys. The charges probably are trumped up, but it would be great if these guys were made into examples of why you should have absolutely nothing to do with poachers.

Also, did they really not think that they would get busted hunting on enclosed property that close to town? Lucky day for the mission though.

if i read the story right they where on private property .... tough luck for them ..Don

He very well could have been driving for the guys. The charges probably are trumped up, but it would be great if these guys were made into examples of why you should have absolutely nothing to do with poachers.

I agree that what they did was wrong, 100%, but I think this is a poor attitude about how to handle any situation.
IF the guy was just driving and didn't know any better (Yeah right, but just follow me, here, as an example ;)) Then why would anyone want the DA or whoever to say "Oh well, looks like this guy might have been innocent... BUT! Lets trump up the charges to all heck and make an example out of 'em! Teach this innocent guy a lesson!" That just doesn't quite add up to me.. :huh:

Last Edited:
I agree that what they did was wrong, 100%, but I think this is a poor attitude about how to handle any situation.
IF the guy was just driving and didn't know any better (Yeah right, but just follow me, here, as an example ;)) Then why would anyone want the DA or whoever to say "Oh well, looks like this guy might have been innocent... BUT! Lets trump up the charges to all heck and make an example out of 'em! Teach this innocent guy a lesson!" That just doesn't quite add up to me.. :huh:

While I understand that there is a chance that he had no idea that they were hunting illegally, he still got involved with them. If nothing else, I'm guessing he knew about the tag "borrowing". If he actually was unaware of any illegal activity then the charges probably won't stick. It'll be interesting to follow up on this and see what their excuses are for their actions.

While I understand that there is a chance that he had no idea that they were hunting illegally, he still got involved with them. If nothing else, I'm guessing he knew about the tag "borrowing". If he actually was unaware of any illegal activity then the charges probably won't stick. It'll be interesting to follow up on this and see what their excuses are for their actions.

Oregon prosecutors generally aren't full of bubblegum.... we'll see how this plays out.

If any of these men is innocent or this truely was a genuine mistake. I'll take these harsh words back.

But I see alot of good here. Four scumbags out of the woods. Four rifles taken away from law breaking scum bags! And a big pile of delicious juicy meat for the needy. It's win win in my eyes. To bad the elk are gone. But they went to a good cause so that's not so bad.
The only downside is how bad this looks on gun owners and hunters. That's why this website is so great. Alot of honest upstanding people here doing there best to make us look good.

Anyone with half a brain knows it's not Elk season yet. The arresting officers did the right thing in charging all these guys!

If a buddy called me and needed help bringing home game he had shot, being the kind of guy I am I would go help. If I got there and saw that it was an Elk I would have given him the finger and some harsh words and left. If it was a deer I would have checked for a tag no tag or incorrect tag and again I would admonished him and leave.

Trismn, wouldn't you be obligated to turn them in should you find they pouched? Hard to squeal on family or friends though. I'd be reluctant due to the old tome - 'don't tattle.'

I don't think it's "tattling" to report people who are committing crimes. Especially when those POS are making the rest of us look bad.

Trismn, wouldn't you be obligated to turn them in should you find they pouched? Hard to squeal on family or friends though. I'd be reluctant due to the old tome - 'don't tattle.'

I wouldn't feel obligated to turn them in. I know people that smoke marijuana I don't feel obligated to turn them in even though I chose to say no. :s0155:

**** I have a friend that is a Portland police officer that knows the same people he doesn't chose to turn them in either.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top