JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I decided awhile back that a shorter 12ga pump was what I wanted as my trip/truck gun as well as a better option for HD them my 28" shotgun (it's an amazing clay and bird gun though :D).

The one I got today could be a decent west side hunting gun in a pinch as well because it has proper sights instead of a bead.

It is a police turn in so while it's in great condition it is not mint and I like that (I can have it Coted if I want to make it all pretty someday).

It's a Remington 870 wing master w/20" barrel, a drilled side saddle and wood furniture on blued steel. Has sling studs and a 7+1 mag tube. Trigger has zero creep and a nice crisp pull. 2 3/4" shells.

I haven't taken it apart yet to see more of the insides but I want to say the thing hasn't even been broken in yet as it's still tight - smooth but tight (some polish and love this weekend should help).

I paid a little more then I wanted but got exactly what I hoped for and don't have to do anything to it to make it my 'ideal' gun.

Now I just need to get out and double check she runs and I'll have a great little basic shotty that I won't be so bummed about getting a scratch on it. It will also give me something very versatile to take on trips to complement my cc's.

Opinions on things to do to it for improvements are welcome..:rolleyes:

IMG_1930.JPG IMG_1933.JPG

Sick bro.

"Opinions on things to do to it for improvements are welcome..:rolleyes:"
Just put some damn shells in it;)

Last Edited:
Not a D**n thing it's already perfect!
Gabby

Just clean it and shoot it. :cool:

It's a natural beauty just as it is.

Sick bro.

"Opinions on things to do to it for improvements are welcome..:rolleyes:"
Just put some damn shells in it;)

Thanks y'all, I like it just as is and am not mounting lights or other junk on it but figured since it's an 870 that there might be something I might want to upgrade in the internals.

After looking thru the 870 related threads, the police model is what people drive for so I guess it's already got the upgrades I'd do too it.

So a bit of polish and a good cleaning and I'm hoping to put a couple boxes of low brass thru it and also some 00 buck n some slugs to see how those sights are;).

Now I can not talk about what good deals are out there for the next month lol - I guess my wife is getting tired of it :rolleyes:. (She did kick in the extra cash I needed though so it's not like I am getting a raw deal:cool:)

Nice :cool: Can't go wrong with a nice 870! And as for mods/upgrades, I'm with everyone else - no need! Looks like you're ready to rock and roll as is! Glad to hear you found a good deal on a great gun :)

Nice score!! :s0155:

I was contemplating that R870 in that classified ad myself! I'm not the biggest fan of "blonde" furniture so I'd lightly sand it down and put a reddish/brown stain on it, but that's just me.

I was also looking at the M500 in that classified ad (again, not a huge fan of the blonde furniture on that one either) you got the R870 from, but I already have three decked out with "HD/tactical perfection"... so I passed.

IMG_0839.JPG

I would look at putting a light on it. I understand that doesn't fit with the classic look but it is definitely worth having.

I'm not really a light mounted on anything guy.

I have a head lamp and multiple flashlights available. I'm in the I don't want to muzzle sweep everything I'm looking at camp;).

Nice score!! :s0155:

I was contemplating that R870 in that classified ad myself! I'm not the biggest fan of "blonde" furniture so I'd lightly sand it down and put a reddish/brown stain on it, but that's just me.

I was also looking at the M500 in that classified ad (again, not a huge fan of the blonde furniture on that one either) you got the R870 from, but I already have three decked out with "HD/tactical perfection"... so I passed.

View attachment 388377

I know;), your pic of those three has always made me slightly envious:D.

I like blondes though:p

I'm not really a light mounted on anything guy.

I have a head lamp and multiple flashlights available. I'm in the I don't want to muzzle sweep everything I'm looking at camp;).

Different, purposes your weapon light should never be used as a 'utility' light. When I carry a pistol with a light I still carry a handheld light. The weapon light is only there for use when you are using the long gun primarily for identifying a target.

Perfect gun.....clean, simple and trustworthy. I have bought ex police guns for all my kids just like it. Have never had a hiccup from any of them. The Mosburg fan group has fermented a lot of anti 870 sentiment but in the long run, 870's rule. My first shotgun was a 1200 Winchester, I shot it so much, the receiver wore out and was not repairable.....so much for alloy receivers.......a M12 is a great gun as well. The alloy guns are very slick from new.....that is what drew me to the 1200 55 years ago, but if used a lot, wear. The Marines learned that after they were sold Mosburgs, the training guns that were shot a lot, just wore out. A Remington just gets better with age.

Different, purposes your weapon light should never be used as a 'utility' light. When I carry a pistol with a light I still carry a handheld light. The weapon light is only there for use when you are using the long gun primarily for identifying a target.
When I was young.....with young eyes......and training in the military, lights screwed with your night vision so much they were a net negative. After using one, your eyes were bad for an hour. They also make a great target for the bad guys. Off course, that all changed when we were issued night vision equipment after the debacle at Desert 1. Today, my guys would rather fight at night than in the day because of there technological advantage. The old story about pirates wearing an eye patch was so they had an eye available for vision in dark areas of a ship.

When I was young.....with young eyes......and training in the military, lights screwed with your night vision so much they were a net negative. After using one, your eyes were bad for an hour. They also make a great target for the bad guys. Off course, that all changed when we were issued night vision equipment after the debacle at Desert 1. Today, my guys would rather fight at night than in the day because of there technological advantage. The old story about pirates wearing an eye patch was so they had an eye available for vision in dark areas of a ship.

I love my PVS-14 and it is definitely a huge advantage.

In the end it really comes down to application. The OP discussed using this shotgun as a home defense tool. In that application a light makes a lot of sense. Destroying your night vision has less effect in that situation then on a solider on a night patrol who will likely have to continue on for a significant period after an engagement. I don't expect to have prolonged drawn out full night gun battles in my home making the ability to properly identify the target a higher priority to me than the ability to retain night vision after the encounter is over. Just my .02 obviously but also keep in mind You don't have to use the light that is mounted to your shotgun but you can never use the light that isn't mounted to it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top