JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah that cz is nice and so is the Henry but i wanted to keep the price under 175 ish since he will outgrow it eventually. I really wish i could find a chipmunk but cricket bought them out a while so they are hard to find now. I really liked how the chipmunk was made in Oregon :).

you could give Bob's sporting goods in longview a call 360-425-3870

Thompson Center recently introduced a miniature version of the Contender carbine for kids. Beautiful little guns (they even make pink stocks for the girls). I think they're at or below the $200 mark. It cannot be stated enough (so I'll state it again) that you should NOT start a kid with a semi-auto. When you are considering price, consider the fact that a youth gun will only be applicable to the kid until they are around 12 or so. Then you will be faced with another purchase. Seriously consider looking for a trim adult model that you can find replacement stocks for. Shorten the replacement at the buttstock (perhaps a used stock for this purpose), then when the kid is able, put the adult stock on the gun: he'll use it the rest of his life.

Although I mentioned the Thompson (break-open), I would favor a .22 that has the same type action that you may acquire for the kid when he wants a centerfire rifle (bolt, lever, pump?). He will become familiar with its operation before getting the "big gun", and have one less thing to learn

Bolt guns with removable magazines are probably the best option. Dad keeps the magazine, and the gun is a single shot until marksmanship and safety are mastered by little Nimrod. Then granted the magazine, once again he has a gun that will serve him through adulthood.

I love my little Rossi .22/410 it has fiber optic sights and is just plain fun! When I take it to the range I can shoot a couple hundred rounds for free ouy of the dud cans. Just a 53 year old kid I guess!

T.O.R brings up a valid concern (cartridges down the magazine window) , but not one that cannot be overcome by a Dad of moderate imagination. Dummy deactivated clip, blind plug for the magazine window (out of wood, plastic, aluminum, etc.) are all good options, and of little effort to construct. My suggestion of the magazine-fed bolt was toward longevity of usuage, avoiding a true "kids gun" that will be left by the wayside.

And, as always, I will once again state that a fine quality used gun might indeed be the very best choice. Something in the Remington 580 series, Winchester 69 or similar. A very young man will not care about "brand new", as long as his first gun came in nice wrapping paper. When he's in his 20's, and given that the shooting sports still interest him, he'll know his Dad really knew his stuff when he chose to give a quality .22 of some vintage, lasting durability and accuracy, rather than the "new cheapie for kids".

With nearly $200 to spend, a VERY nice quality used .22 can be easily purchased, upgraded through the years with good optics, etc. and serve for a lifetime.

+1

I started my kids out and a Henry Mini Bolt the fiber optic sights made teaching proper sight picture a snap.

This^

Henry is better quality than the Cricket. I picked up one from my buddy, and 2 of my kids have learned on it so far. The 3rd will be learning soon.

The fiber optic sites work great for beginning shooters. Definitely worth the extra $$$.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

Just my opinion, but the shot charge for a .410 is so small, and therefore the pattern is so thin, it can only lead to frustration on the part of a new wingshooter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top