Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

found it thanks all.

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by jp1985, Nov 17, 2011.

1. jp1985

jp1985 Linn County, Oregon Active Member

found it thanks all.

2. cotillion

cotillion medford Active Member

You can get a decent 10/22 for 125-200 just depending on brand. Mossberg, marlin and ruger all make good rifles, might want to consider going with that rather than a single shot .22. As far as the .410 a single shot is good for that, I know that Fred Meyer carries an h&r single 410, 20 and 12 gauge for around 140 and are pretty quality for the price.

3. jp1985

delete.

4. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There is a lot to be said in favor of teaching a youngster to shoot with a single shot. I have a grandson that will be learning in a few years and I have seriously considered the Cricket or one of the Savage/Stevens Favorites.
    The single shot, switch barrel 22/410 has a lot going for it if you think you will be taking him bird hunting. Keep in mind, however, that the .410 is not nearly as inexpensive to feed as a 20 gauge.

5. jp1985

removed.

6. jp1985

removed.

7. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

If your son is really young i would say go with the Cricket .22

8. jp1985

Yeah hes younger I am leaning towards the cricket since i think it would be a better fit for him however i really like the though of the 2 for 1 gun with the rossi youth matched pair. I would really liek to get a chipmonk rifle if i could find one the ones that where made in Oregon before going outta business as my cousin had one of them when we were younger and we both liked it.

9. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

I'd buy him .22LR bolt action. That way he can focus on sighting and control, instead of spray and pray. :bluelaugh:

10. NWGunner

NWGunner Salem Active Member

I agree!

11. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

In the state of Oregon, the Mentor Youth hunting Program applies for 9-13 year olds. In that program, the mentor (you) is the one with the tag and there is only one gun between the two of you. You "allow" the youngster to shoot and fill your tag. In that program there are many specific rules, but basically you two stick together, so the young one is under your constant supervision, and when the time comes for shootin, the youngster can fill the tag.The person being mentored does not have to have passed the Hunter Safety class.
    At 12 years old the young one can have his own tag, but has to have passed the Hunter Safety class.
    This year at elk camp there was 3 generations of one family. The 11 year old was the first person to fill "his" tag. (the tag was his dad's) It was cool.
    If I was in your shoes, I'd probably be leaning towards the 22/410 also.
    This sounds like it's going to be fun!

Find info here.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/youth_hunting_opportunities.asp

12. Izzy

Izzy Oakridge Active Member

I vote for the Rossi!

13. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Crickets are nice but are out grown fast. They are still a great choice.

For more money though I believe it is CZ that sells a youth style .22 bolt gun that when he grows they sell an adult style stock for it. Might be worth looking into.

14. jp1985

delete.

15. Nosrac

Nosrac Lakewood, WA Member

My son started with a Henry Mini bolt at 6 years and now he is 10 almost 11 and he still wants to shoot his single shot Henry over my Marlin Mounties. Great size and weight and better built than a few of the others that I contemplated at the time.

It's a perfect first .22. When he is done with it I'm passing it along as an easy to handle rifle to my wife. They are both about the same size at the moment. I bought it for $100 and it was money well spent.

16. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

jp 1985 you are answering your own question. Just buy the Rossi and if you need another later then get one.
    Heck i wouldn't mind a 22/410 for me
    I would not get a 10 22 to teach a kid shooting skills Bolt or single if you don't buy the one you want (the rossi)

17. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

Keep an eye on the used racks. Kids out grow the little rifles fast and can often be found pretty cheap. I started on a sears single shot bolt very similar to the Henry.
    Everyone loves their first gun whatever you get.
    Best of luck,

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  18. mosleyds

mosleyds coast New Member

I bought my son , Brian, a chipmonk .22 for Christmas one year. I think he was five years old. He's now thirtyfive and still has that rifle. He'll pass it on to my grandson.
    A few years ago he was in Afgahinstan. He wrote and said "Dad, do you remember teaching me to shoot that little .22 rifle?" " I feel those shooting outings we took
    really has had me better prepared for this little adventure I'm on now." "Thanks Dad". True story...

19. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

I faced this issue recently, and after doing a lot of research I bought this.

20. jp1985

delete.