JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can get a decent 10/22 for 125-200 just depending on brand. Mossberg, marlin and ruger all make good rifles, might want to consider going with that rather than a single shot .22. As far as the .410 a single shot is good for that, I know that Fred Meyer carries an h&r single 410, 20 and 12 gauge for around 140 and are pretty quality for the price.

There is a lot to be said in favor of teaching a youngster to shoot with a single shot. I have a grandson that will be learning in a few years and I have seriously considered the Cricket or one of the Savage/Stevens Favorites.
The single shot, switch barrel 22/410 has a lot going for it if you think you will be taking him bird hunting. Keep in mind, however, that the .410 is not nearly as inexpensive to feed as a 20 gauge.

Yeah hes younger I am leaning towards the cricket since i think it would be a better fit for him however i really like the though of the 2 for 1 gun with the rossi youth matched pair. I would really liek to get a chipmonk rifle if i could find one the ones that where made in Oregon before going outta business as my cousin had one of them when we were younger and we both liked it.

Yeah I bird hunt i have trained labs so that's one reason why the .22/410 looked like a good option however he cannot hunt with me at this time since he is to young is int the youth supervised hunting age 12?

In the state of Oregon, the Mentor Youth hunting Program applies for 9-13 year olds. In that program, the mentor (you) is the one with the tag and there is only one gun between the two of you. You "allow" the youngster to shoot and fill your tag. In that program there are many specific rules, but basically you two stick together, so the young one is under your constant supervision, and when the time comes for shootin, the youngster can fill the tag.The person being mentored does not have to have passed the Hunter Safety class.
At 12 years old the young one can have his own tag, but has to have passed the Hunter Safety class.
This year at elk camp there was 3 generations of one family. The 11 year old was the first person to fill "his" tag. (the tag was his dad's) It was cool.
If I was in your shoes, I'd probably be leaning towards the 22/410 also.
This sounds like it's going to be fun!

Find info here.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/youth_hunting_opportunities.asp

Crickets are nice but are out grown fast. They are still a great choice.

For more money though I believe it is CZ that sells a youth style .22 bolt gun that when he grows they sell an adult style stock for it. Might be worth looking into.

+1

I started my kids out and a Henry Mini Bolt the fiber optic sights made teaching proper sight picture a snap.

My son started with a Henry Mini bolt at 6 years and now he is 10 almost 11 and he still wants to shoot his single shot Henry over my Marlin Mounties. Great size and weight and better built than a few of the others that I contemplated at the time.

It's a perfect first .22. When he is done with it I'm passing it along as an easy to handle rifle to my wife. They are both about the same size at the moment. I bought it for $100 and it was money well spent.

jp 1985 you are answering your own question. Just buy the Rossi and if you need another later then get one.
Heck i wouldn't mind a 22/410 for me
I would not get a 10 22 to teach a kid shooting skills Bolt or single if you don't buy the one you want (the rossi)

Keep an eye on the used racks. Kids out grow the little rifles fast and can often be found pretty cheap. I started on a sears single shot bolt very similar to the Henry.
Everyone loves their first gun whatever you get.
Best of luck,

I bought my son , Brian, a chipmonk .22 for Christmas one year. I think he was five years old. He's now thirtyfive and still has that rifle. He'll pass it on to my grandson.
A few years ago he was in Afgahinstan. He wrote and said "Dad, do you remember teaching me to shoot that little .22 rifle?" " I feel those shooting outings we took
really has had me better prepared for this little adventure I'm on now." "Thanks Dad". True story...

Yeah that cz is nice and so is the Henry but i wanted to keep the price under 175 ish since he will outgrow it eventually. I really wish i could find a chipmunk but cricket bought them out a while so they are hard to find now. I really liked how the chipmunk was made in Oregon :).
Fisherman's in Oregon city had a handful when I was in there a couple of nights ago.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top