JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So this rifle was found Wednesday by a couple fellow employees out in Sherwood. Apparently it was stolen out of Grants Pass. I bet the owner is gonna be very happy to say the least.

2014-09-11 12.35.53.jpg

Wow!

Where, in general (not specifically), was it found?

Out in a field? Laying on the sidewalk? In a baby buggy? In the sewer?

Interesting that someone would steal it and then leave it somewhere it could be found, but in my experience this is typical - probably a theft of opportunity, someone stole it, maybe didn't even know what was in the case, and then got cold feet and hid it somewhere they thought it couldn't be found, waiting for the heat to die down.

When it comes down to it, guns are probably one of the worst things a thief could steal if they don't have a good fence to sell it to - guns have serial numbers, thefts usually get reported along with the serial number, FFLs (any store that would buy it) have to track that serial number and will probably check to see if it is stolen, there is a system to check if it is stolen, and they can't sell it to legitimate buyers for fire sale prices as that will make the buyer suspicious. Also, LEOs tend to take these thefts seriously.

In short, hard to sell unless you have connections in the criminal world who will take it off your hands.

It was found in the bushes near Chehalem Station rd. The case was spotted and grabbed first. They initially didn't even see the weapon. One dude put the case up on some guardrail and continued working. Another employee was fumbling around and found the cleaning kit. He said he just happened to look down and there it was. It had grass and weeds and such growing up through it. It obviously had been there a while. They said by the looks of it, it was thrown out of a moving vehicle. No damage to anything just open case and things strewn about. Washington County sheriff was contacted and took possession.

It was found in the bushes near Chehalem Station rd. The case was spotted and grabbed first. They initially didn't even see the weapon. One dude put the case up on some guardrail and continued working. Another employee was fumbling around and found the cleaning kit. He said he just happened to look down and there it was. It had grass and weeds and such growing up through it. It obviously had been there a while. They said by the looks of it, it was thrown out of a moving vehicle. No damage to anything just open case and things strewn about. Washington County sheriff was contacted and took possession.
Was it found by the road crew that was repaving Chehalem Station rd?

Huh.

Not too far from where I live.

Thrown out of a vehicle - interesting.

Someone was either feeling like they were being followed by the law (kind of doubtful), or they didn't want anybody to see them dump it? Kind of dumb as someone would more likely notice a car doing that and take down license plate info than if they went somewhere and dumped it more discreetly.

But then, most criminals are criminals because they are dumb - if they were smart they wouldn't be stealing stuff, especially high dollar items like this, transporting it halfway across the state and then dumping it in relatively plain sight where someone would find it - oh, and they wouldn't be criminals.

Good thing it was in a good case - good thing the crew was honest.

Police actually do attempt to contact the last registered owner when a firearm is found. But they also give you the run-around when you go to pick it up in person, Appointment with Police Evidence room, Background check normally done before you even go in to pick up firearm. They last registered owner should have no trouble getting the rifle back. Also a firearm has to be reported stolen and reported every year for it to stay on the "Hot" list, as it was explained to me by OSP at the background check call center.
Glad to know some honest people left out there.
I have never heard of a "hot list" but stolen firearm records are never expunged. I have seen guns returned that were stolen before digital records.

If I had just "found" it out in the woods.. Odds are it wouldn't be seen again..:rolleyes:
(Aside from myself of course)

Id return lost cash.. any amount, gold, jewels, wallets.. Nearly anything under the sun..

But Id sure have a mighty hard time reporting a awesome find like that.

If I had just "found" it out in the woods.. Odds are it wouldn't be seen again..:rolleyes:
(Aside from myself of course)

Id return lost cash.. any amount, gold, jewels, wallets.. Nearly anything under the sun..

But Id sure have a mighty hard time reporting a awesome find like that.
If for no other reason - besides the fact that it would be the right thing to do - if you got caught with something stolen that is so easily checked that it was stolen, that is so likely to be checked, that if you were transporting it and were stopped would likely be found in a search and then the serial number checked - you would be screwed rude dude and rightfully so.

Put it another way - would you want such an item stolen from you and found to be reported and returned? I sure would.

All of that would certainly overcome any temptation to keep it.

Besides, it would be wrong to keep it.

Now if I found a stash of cash (as in thousands of dollars) - I would consult a lawyer about making claim to it if no one claimed it after turning it in - then I would turn it in.

In some locales, the government likes to make their own claim to found loot - which is why I would consult a lawyer first to make sure I would be making my own claim properly and got a receipt, etc.

I have found and returned a rather huge wad of cash one time in the past. Good karma just cannot be purchased.
Karma or not - returning it is the right thing to do.

While I understand and agree with the principle that good deeds should be rewarded one way or another, whether it is just "karma" or something else - and I agree even more so with the idea that doing good things for others makes the world a better place not just for everybody else, but for myself also (which is a kind of reward) - and I disagree with the idea of it being a duty (meaning some kind of obligation - how did this obligation come about?) - underneath it all, I subscribe to the principle that there are actions that are just basically the right thing to do, regardless of reward, even if we get punished for them.

The underlying principle being that our actions should reflect our morality, not our expectation of reward (physical, acclaim, self-esteem, etc), but because we believe this is how the world should be, how we should act - even if the rest of the world disagrees and punishes us for our actions.

If we only ever do things because of reward, or acclaim, or approval, and not because of morality - then what are we? Not moral - we aren't doing an action because it is moral, but for approval. A lot of people have done a lot of really bad things in history because it was easier to go with the approval of the mob rather than go against them.

The really moral people do the right thing not expecting reward, and sometimes in the face of disapproval or even punishment.

As for duty/obligation - there is very slight morality in that - if I owe you something, then do I deserve approval/reward simply because I pay my debt? Hardly - I only deserve the acknowledgement of the cancellation of that debt.

Sorry for the rant - but this is a pet peeve of mine. :oops:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads