JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No way would I ever be tempted to keep a gun I found lying in the woods, no matter how nice or valuable it was. I would never be able to relax with it in my safe, wondering if it was stolen or evidence of a crime. My gun safe is a sanctuary of legality, where all I's get dotted and all T's get crossed and every item within can be used and handled with a clear conscience.

They might have had the cops tailing them and decided to get rid of it, maybe even got arrested and couldn't go back for it.
Either way really nice of them to turn it in. Hopefully the owner gets it back

It's not like you "give" it to the police.. if memory serves regarding found goods, a public announcement regarding same is conducted.. with usually a 30 day waiting period. If it's then not claimed, it's yours.

Why would you think that? - The Police will return it as there is no legal basis to hold the weapon !

Every gun I've known of being in police custody has been a royal pain to get back for the legal and rightful owner. A couple never made it back. "Lost" or still part of a forever investigation. It's cute though to think police are honest just because they are police. There just people with jobs too. Some great, some scum and everything in between.

Every gun I've known of being in police custody has been a royal pain to get back for the legal and rightful owner. A couple never made it back. "Lost" or still part of a forever investigation. It's cute though to think police are honest just because they are police. There just people with jobs too. Some great, some scum and everything in between.
So was this a found property/gun issue or some convoluted red herring? We're talking about a found gun here.

Nope. None of the cases I'm referring to were "found" guns. A couple were theft recoveries though so not exactly on topic here so I'll just butt out.

I stand by my thoughts though. I doubt the coppers will just hand it right over.
Exactly.. and a proper thing to do. If it's "found" and then "found" that there are no issues, it goes to the finder. pretty dang simple

If I remember back to a class on property ages ago and am applying it here correctly:

A rightly found gun would need to have been abandoned by the lawful owner.

The gun in this story was reported as stolen thus not abandoned as the serial number and theft were reported.

If I remember back to a class on property ages ago and am applying it here correctly:

A rightly found gun would need to have been abandoned by the lawful owner.

The gun in this story was reported as stolen thus not abandoned as the serial number and theft were reported.
For true. I hadn't really gathered that it was found to be stolen. so anyway, yawn

My experience on police returning stolen guns:

I had a pistol stolen from me some years ago. The cops found it a few days later, arrested some punk who was burglarizing houses and found it in his car.

They called me to come ID it, then said I would get it back when they were done with the investigation of the guy they arrested. Months went by.

Finally I ran into the officer who took the initial theft report; he recognized me and asked if I ever got my gun back. I told him what they said and that I was patiently waiting. "Oh no, you have to bug them or you'll never get it back" he told me.

I went down the next day and bugged them about it. They gave me some mild run-around but eventually found it, and I got it back that same day!

Few months ago there was an ad on arm list.org about stolen 2 of these. 1 isblak the other one is FDE. Will look up to see that ad is still there so I can contact the rightful owner.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top