JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Of course, I took it to the local Maplewood MN police department just to be sure it wasn't stolen.
Here is my letter to the chief and his response below:

Hello Dave,

First off, are you the same Thomalla's that went to St. Jeromes? If so, my father worked with your dad. Did you grow up in the area as well?

Not too far from where they live, on a walk with my mother, we found an antique H&R revolver on the boulevard. We picked it up off the street so no kids would find it and once home, I inspected the revolver before taking it down to the station (case #) to have the serial number ran to see if I could find the rightful owner. At the station, I expressed my interest in keeping the H&R should no records be found. The officer then went in the back room and returned with a card and case number written on it. He stated that a "good faith" effort would be made to find the owner and that a tri-county notification would be put out before turning the property over to me.

After waiting more than a fair amount of time, I called Sgt. Dugas (my contact at the station) and was referred to Buddy Martin, the one handling the investigation. I left a message for Buddy and in turn he left a message on my phone. It states that at this time there have still been no records found on this revolver, stolen or otherwise, but goes on to say that it doesn't mean that it was never used in a crime or stolen. I was then referred to you.

Dave, from the message I received on my phone, I feel as though Buddy would like to hold the antique, non-functioning revolver indefinitely. As a responsible firearms owner, I would like to claim the property and keep it securely in a safe. In my opinion, this is a piece of history that deserves better than to become a manhole cover. I am writing to ask for your help in this matter. I know if anyone could uphold the letter of the law, it would be you. Thank you so much for your time. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Ben

Benjamin,

I am from the St. Jerome's family and grew up on McMenemy.

As far as the handgun goes, it is my policy not to release handguns back onto the street once they are in our possession. One problem, in addition to simply putting another gun on the street, is we don't know if a few years from now evidence could come to light that this gun was previously used in a crime. If we release the gun, we no longer would know where to find the gun for sure.

After we attempt to find the owner, we send the gun to the BCA where they attempt a test fire for comparison and ultimately destroy.

Personally, I would rather see any gun turned into a manhole cover than released back onto the streets.

Sincerely,

Dave Thomalla

Not exactly the response I expected but I have learned a valuable lesson. I will never make that mistake again. How can I find out if this is just his policy or if the law backs him up on this?

Just to clarify, I was back home visiting family when this occurred.

It's either department policy, or perhaps state law (I'm not familiar with MN). It is not federal law for sure.

What is truly unfortunate is that this type of policy will further deter honest citizens from trying to do the right thing.

If this gentleman is an elected official, vote your conscience the next time you are able.

Wow, Officer Thomalla has some serious issues to deal with. First, I'd object as a law abiding citizen clearly doing the right thing to be called 'the street.' That's really offensive and I'd complain to his boss. Second, it's clear that his actions reduce the faith and trust the law abiding citizens on this board have in our police departments.

What a douche. He openly stated that it was "HIS" policy, which means its probably not a State, or even city law.....but rather simply, a personal opinion being enforced by a public official as if it is actual law. A perfect conceptual example of how there are so many police officers, and appointed officials who blatantly mistrust, and prejudge the very public who elect them into office, and pay their wages. I know that it's a ridiculously difficult job being a cop, but if you reach that point of jaundiced attitude and no longer have a trust for the public in general, than it means its time for you to find a different career. If you mistrust the public in general, than it ultimately means you believe you know better then them, and that your personal judgment is superior to the rest of the people which you are sworn to defend, and serve. This is that VERY slippery slope which leads to corruption. When an officer no longer only enforces the laws, but also supports his own agenda as if it were law, I personally believe that there is a better then even chance that he is no longer actually doing his job and enforcing the REAL laws which are already in place. I'll go so far as to promote an actionable consequence. Any elected, or promoted official of a United States department....Federal or State, who admits to, or is found out to have actively enforced (via official channels) a "personal" agenda or policy which does not coincide with a publicly voted law, should be immediately removed from office by his superiors, whether through impeachment or "termination" (see note below). Of course I'm not referring to "promoting" a personal opinion or agenda....but rather actual enforcement.

For anyone who read that before I had time to make this edit...."termination" refers to employment, and not any action which would be against the law. I had to read it after posting to realize that the statement could be misconstrued. My bad!!

And now to offset my paranoid rant.......the cutest thing that's ever been seen. Be sure to watch it through!!

Purina Animal All Stars

What garbage! He would rather his glock be turned into a manhole cover so they could beat each other with sharp knives or blunt rocks? How about enforcing the law with swords and spears?

That really, really pisses me off. He completely blew off your other questions, too. To blow off the public so arrogantly is cause for many, many phone calls.

I hate to say it, but no wonder these guys in Washington keep getting shot at.

...?

Actually he did answer the question with a sentence but I decided to leave out the street he grew up on. I thought it was a privacy violation but I realize I was mistaken. Fixed.

I hope most people realize that an extremely small amount of Police confiscated guns get destroyed and that getting guns off the street is the biggest lie in gun control.

The fact is that police departments auction off the confiscated guns to dealers and then they go back into circulation, I know this as I have 6 guns that have gone through the police and been auctioned off and bought by an Oregon dealer and I then purchased them from that dealer.

I hope most people realize that an extremely small amount of Police confiscated guns get destroyed and that getting guns off the street is the biggest lie in gun control.

The fact is that police departments auction off the confiscated guns to dealers and then they go back into circulation, I know this as I have 6 guns that have gone through the police and been auctioned off and bought by an Oregon dealer and I then purchased them from that dealer.

Yes sir. Our department has some options for the guns.
1: Destroy the gun if the court orders it.
2: Give the gun back to the owner if allowed.
3: Put the gun into their inventory for department use.
4: Sell the gun through us. We auction it off on Gun Broker.
5: They will also destroy the gun if we think that it is not worth selling.

It seems that every Department is different.

Wow, Officer Thomalla has some serious issues to deal with. First, I'd object as a law abiding citizen clearly doing the right thing to be called 'the street.' That's really offensive and I'd complain to his boss. Second, it's clear that his actions reduce the faith and trust the law abiding citizens on this board have in our police departments.

Well, it was found in "the street"...
:s0114::s0112:

Just kidding, that's a bunch of BS....

Greg

"Personally, I would rather see any gun turned into a manhole cover than released back onto the streets."

That one line really rubs me the wrong way. Such a distrust of the general public that as far as I know still pay his salary.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top