JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Noticed what looked like a piece of cloth dangling down from a rafter in one of the barns a couple days ago. Broke out a ladder to pull it down and much to my surprise found it was wrapped around a Remington Model 8. I wiped it down and other than a touch of water damage on the stock and some rust on the buttplate, it appears to be in pretty good shape.

I hit the internet to see what I could learn, and only succeeded in learning that it was made in February of 1929 and that 30 Remington ammunition isn't made any more.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out with the significance of three stamps that look like a 3 leaf clover and with a guesstimate of what to value it at for my insurance... 20210306_090649.jpg 20210306_090622.jpg 20210306_090516.jpg 20210306_090433.jpg 20210306_090535.jpg 20210306_090409.jpg

Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated.

I've seen similar specimens at a local gun shop for $600ish but didn't have any rust or dents. Hard to sell without available ammo. The barrel is sleeved and would commonly collect rust between the sleeve and barrel. Do get it apart or have Velzey do it and pull that dent. Inspect bore carefully. Keep it lightly oiled. Get the rust off buttplate.

Last Edited:
I've seen similar specimens at a local gun shop for $600ish but didn't have any rust or dents. Hard to sell without available ammo. The barrel is sleeved and would commonly collect rust between the sleeve and barrel. Do get it apart or have Velzey do it and pull that dent. Inspect bore carefully. Keep it lightly oiled. Get the rust off buttplate.

Thanks for the info...in the process of disassembly for a thorough inspection right now.

Bonnie and Clyde met their demise with a similar rifle.

Too funny, I was just going to mention that, also in the winter 2020 issue of "Guns of the Old West" there is a write up on "The Highwaymen" with this picture...
Remington Model 8 Archives » BAMF Style

Here a larger close up shot...
highwaymenhamer-gun2-rem8.jpg

The "Magnificent Seven turns 60" was in the same issue and on the cover, ask me how I know. ;)

Awesome find! I have a tendency to buy guns and forget about them only to later find it buried away :D

I'm pretty sure I remember my dad shooting this rifle when I was a kid...mostly just remember the little oval brass name plate on the right side. Not sure why he would have stashed it in the rafters of a barn.

Noticed what looked like a piece of cloth dangling down from a rafter in one of the barns a couple days ago. Broke out a ladder to pull it down and much to my surprise found it was wrapped around a Remington Model 8. I wiped it down and other than a touch of water damage on the stock and some rust on the buttplate, it appears to be in pretty good shape.

I hit the internet to see what I could learn, and only succeeded in learning that it was made in February of 1929 and that 30 Remington ammunition isn't made any more.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me out with the significance of three stamps that look like a 3 leaf clover and with a guesstimate of what to value it at for my insurance...View attachment 838602View attachment 838603View attachment 838604View attachment 838605View attachment 838606View attachment 838607

Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Almost 100 years old and in great shape. They don't make them like the used to.

The chambering is 30 Remington?

Almost 100 years old and in great shape. They don't make them like the used to.

The chambering is 30 Remington?

Yes. I did some more searching and found a place in Idaho called Buffalo Arms that has it listed on their website, but I suppose it's just a sign of the times that it's out of stock. Not sure if they're sourcing these from somewhere or rolling their own...

I hope you properly transferred it from yourself to yourself:rolleyes:

Yes, since it's fully semiautomatic I made double extra special sure that my Washington State training was done, all of the appropriate assault weapon paperwork was completed and a thorough background check including mental fitness and the photographic results of my last colonoscopy were done before I laid a finger on it. :confused:

Very cool well made rifles. Made when pride was taken in fit and finish. Here's a thought, instead of removing the rust and winding up with bare metal on the buttplate try boiling it and converting the rust .

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top