JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well of course.......
"Collectibles" are not the same thing and worth more, to the right people.

Speaking of Dragoons (and even ex-Dragoons). My first MN 91/30 was a hex receiver, 1930* marked barrel, Izhevsk. It was thrown in with the rest of the 91/30s. BTW, all of the 91/30s in that lot were selling for the same price. I picked that one because of the hex receiver. It was only later that I found out about the ex-Dragoon.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....Yes, a certain web sight says prior to 1930. Though mine does have the gap between the barrel and rear sight block. Maybe, I have to look closer at the date under the receiver tang?

For those wondering.....
Q. What is meant by "ex-Dragoon" or "updated Dragoon"?

A. A Dragoon is a version of the M91 that is the same length as an M91/30, but has the M91 type sights and a unique handguard. This model was phased out in the early 1930s and replaced by the M91/30. An updated Dragoon has the sights and handguard replaced with the M91/30 types. It is basically an M91/30 in that configuration, but because it is dated pre-1930 it is often referred to as an ex-Dragoon or updated Dragoon by US collectors. While certainly not as rare as a Dragoon in original configuration they are less common than post 1930 M91/30s and sought after by many collectors.

Last Edited:
PS.....Yes, a certain web sight says prior to 1930. Though mine does have the gap between the barrel and rear sight block. Maybe, I have to look closer at the date under the receiver tang?

we also have a '30 with the sight gap and brass handguard tips - Izhevsk produced both in 30

glad to meet another Mosin enthusiust

I have a '36 Hex ex-sniper I paid premium price for - has the PE scope mount screws fill in

and check out this rare "Russian splice" on a pre-War stock - I actually talked the guy down 'cause I said the stock was repaired

rjmt

Russian Splice.JPG

Surpuls Ammo and Arms in Tacoma has an actual Mosin crate
when ever they get Mosins in, they display them there.
I'm up to my armpits in Mosins now, haven't looked in the last 6 months

I still travel for a living - if I ever see Mosins for sale, anywhere, I'll post here

RJMT

Please do.

M38 are cool but I'm not paying more then $150 for a Mosin.. got lucky years back and bought Ten M91/30's at $89 each :D

Prices of Mosins are stupid.. $300+ for counter bored , mixed serial numbers :rolleyes:

AA6256BB-153F-4D38-B3C7-AA8BB5EF9A7C.jpeg

Last Edited:
M38 are cool but I'm not paying more then $150 for a Mosin.. got lucky years back and bought Ten M91/30's at $89 each :D

Prices of Mosins are stupid.. $300+ for counter bored , mixed serial numbers :rolleyes:

It's crazy.. your Mosins are probably doing better than your 401K. I bought my first M44 for $50. Bought several 91/30's for $89-$100 over the years. Never thought they'd run out. There was so many it was almost obnoxious. Now they are approaching Yugo Mauser prices.

$250 for a matching M38 I would do. For a 91/30 $200 is my max - maybe $240 for a pre-war Tula. I always check those mil-surp racks at Cabela's (that the OP mentioned) but never have any luck. I've found Swiss K-31 and Arisaka, sometimes a Chi-Com SKS.

It's crazy.. your Mosins are probably doing better than your 401K. I bought my first M44 for $50. Bought several 91/30's for $89-$100 over the years. Never thought they'd run out. There was so many it was almost obnoxious. Now they are approaching Yugo Mauser prices.

$250 for a matching M38 I would do. For a 91/30 $200 is my max - maybe $240 for a pre-war Tula. I always check those mil-surp racks at Cabela's (that the OP mentioned) but never have any luck. I've found Swiss K-31 and Arisaka, sometimes a Chi-Com SKS.

I've got a 1930 hex Mosin... people have offered stupid prices at the gun range...

I wouldn't mind getting a Good yugo collector grade $300-400, K31 are over priced in my area.. $700+ I remember them going for $325 all day long

I just joined, but I see that a lot of powderheads like these ugly but lovable Russkies. For some really odd reason, I wanted one since I was about 10 years old. I think it was the forbidden fruit effect - anything Russian back then was like sneaking contraband into the country - or something.
I hate how popular they have become. The price has skyrocketed. And what I really want, an SVT40, is now far out of reach.

Anyway, I ended up with a Finnish M28/30 (.308 bore) and one Romanian and one Russian M44. I could still be tempted by a Finnish M39 with the pistol grip stock. Most I have paid is something like 79.95 for the M28/30, but that was about 1990 when the floodgates were just opening. The M44s I got at Big5 when they were $55-$69.

Speaking of the M28/30, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that super-sniper Simo "White death" Häyhä used an M28/30 to eliminate 505 Russian troops in the Winter war. Also wanted to check my serial number against his. But, I'll have to dig the safe out to do that.

Another member here, offered me his M38 at a great price. It had a M44 stock and a barrel that was counter bored. But, I figured that I should buy it anyway. Afterall, who knows when I'll have another opportunity? So YES, I bought it. And, I'm glad that I did.

IMG_20180518_134053.jpg

IMG_20180518_135015.jpg

Aloha, Mark

@ma96782 very nice group. The smaller Mosin Nagants are a lot of fun. Try shooting it at dusk - the fireballs are aweseome. M38's were rare even when 91/30's were plentiful. You won't lose money on that investment.

I'm going to look for a Mosin Nagant in September at the ARPC show. This is the kind of gun that I want to examine in person before buying. I just don't have time to check in at every gun shop on a regular basis. They never sit on the rack long.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top