JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Original Poster... you sound like an honest guy. You know where your heart is, but I'll tell you from more than one experience, you don't know another man's intentions. You should have kept it and just given them the description and your phone number.

I have more than one example but here's the gun related one:

I found a pistol once and took it to the police. I told them I'd like to hang onto it unless it was reported stolen and they said that'd be fine. As I waited in the lobby, they took it back behind closed doors to run a check on it. A few minutes later, the guy comes back out and tells me that it's clean. Not stolen or used in a crime.

Ok... so, where's the pistol? Bald faced liar goes on to tell me that though it wasnt reported stolen, it could have been stolen and just not reported or used in a crime that has not yet been reported and that they were keeping it, no ifs ands or buts. I was pretty much floored. I replayed the conversation aloud but it didnt matter a bit. I was told I could talk to the chief if I had a problem with it. I did, but that pretty much went worse than the previous encounter.

It was pretty much the last straw for me. Who knows what ever became of it. Most likely a drop gun judging the integrity of the officer handling the situation.

I found out many month later I could have filed a "Writ of Recompense" and the state would have had to legally prove they had the right to literally steal what was effectively my property until found to be stolen or lost. I'm not angered that I could not keep the pistol. Sure, it would have been cool (even if it was a broken piece of shtuff), but I wanted to find the owner.

From here on out, I find something, I hold onto it until claimed. I check lost and found on Craigslist and the local paper. If its worth some money, I'll post an ad. I know where my heart is...

No law I know of states you have to give LE found property sitting on public land.

Oregon has a little goodie called;
§ 164.065¹ Theft of lost, mislaid property

A person who comes into control of property of another that the person knows or has good reason to know to have been lost, mislaid or delivered under a mistake as to the nature or amount of the property or the identity of the recipient, commits theft if, with intent to deprive the owner thereof, the person fails to take reasonable measures to restore the property to the owner. [1971 c.743 §126]

In this case, turning it over to LE seems to be a "reasonable measure to restore the property to the owner." In my 50+ years of shooting, I'm happy to say the only gun I've left behind was a staple gun, which by-the-way, was still there months later when I again visited that shoot'n spot. Rusted a bit, but still useable. :cool:

Oregon has a little goodie called;
§ 164.065¹ Theft of lost, mislaid property

A person who comes into control of property of another that the person knows or has good reason to know to have been lost, mislaid or delivered under a mistake as to the nature or amount of the property or the identity of the recipient, commits theft if, with intent to deprive the owner thereof, the person fails to take reasonable measures to restore the property to the owner. [1971 c.743 §126]

In this case, turning it over to LE seems to be a "reasonable measure to restore the property to the owner." In my 50+ years of shooting, I'm happy to say the only gun I've left behind was a staple gun, which by-the-way, was still there months later when I again visited that shoot'n spot. Rusted a bit, but still useable. :cool:

And I still know of no law which states you have to give LE lost property found sitting on public land.

BTW, the OP would have satisfied the law you cite just by creating this post. Getting LE involved makes things far more complicated than they need to be and with a very finite amount of time to deal with it before the private property is destroyed.

And I still know of no law which states you have to give LE lost property found sitting on public land.

BTW, the OP would have satisfied the law you cite just by creating this post. Getting LE involved makes things far more complicated than they need to be and with a very finite amount of time to deal with it before the private property is destroyed.
Back in the old days one had to file a report (over the phone) with the police and run a notice in the paper.. if memory serves. No handing over of the item to the police.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top