Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

foster 1911 build

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by coop44, Mar 3, 2014.

1. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Well here's the start
    IMAG0075.jpg
    IMAG0074.jpg

picked up the frame on waguns, a gentleman bought it thinking " heck I can build an AR..." :laugh:

The Colt 70 Series Govt Model slide came from a friend, with extractor and firing pin installed, fixed sights.

Have a parts kit coming from SARCO.

I'll update this thread as I build it.

IMAG0075.jpg

IMAG0074.jpg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. wabbithunter

wabbithunter PDX Member

Sweet COOP, yes let us know how it goes... wife wanted "ME" to build one too... I though about and thought and thought.... :) :) :) :)

3. coop44

I'll walk you through it wabbit, I building a reliable carry pistol. nothing fit as tight as a bullseye or match gun.

4. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've got a couple of parts I'd donate if you pay for shipping. Hogue grip, a hammer, springs, maybe even a standard grip safety... I'll have to check. PM me if you're interested.

5. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Inbox full. Clear it out! :D

6. coop44

well I thought I would lay out the first steps for you, there are a lot of things to do that can be a little overwhelming for many. So in an attempt to make things easier to understand I'll lay out the first stages of assembly.

1) Slide to frame fit, tricky, this can be anywhere from "military sloppy" to national match. The colt slide I acquired is in between, leaning toward "pretty good". I'll describe tightening the slide and use pics. This will be for side to side movement and vertical.
    2) Barrel to slide fit. Probably not required as the barrel I'm getting is drop in mil spec, we'll see when it gets here.
    3) barrel lugs to frame fit, also probably not required, but we'll see on this also.
    4) fitting the slide stop, barrel link, and lugs.

standing by the mailbox, arms folded, tapping my foot, every day, isn't helping the parts get here any faster. Dang Sarco.

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  7. coop44

IMAG00772.JPG

here it is, required a bit of fitting but not much more than anticipated.

used the slide that came with the kit, vertical fit was good at about .002 clearance, tightened up the horizontal fit to about .004 clearance.

the barrel and slide fit was good with the supplied lug "lifting" the barrel to within specs.

the lugs did require a bit of fitting to bring the slide forward slightly to meet the rear of the frame.

of course had to fit the hammer by shortening the "legs" on the hammer and adjusting the engagement angle, now it has a clean 4 pound pull.

a few bits like the slide stoc mag catch had to have parting lines cleaned up removed and sharp edges removed.

edit: oh yes I parkerized the frame at home