JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have taken several courses at Renton Fish and Game with Tristan Foster of https://www.fossprotection.com/ as of this posting. Most recently was a course with my wife, an intro to handguns for her. Tristan was able to read her quickly, know where she was at and how hard to push her while keeping things fun and relaxed, Outstanding instruction as she came away feeling good, excited and better educated. I myself was just along to shoot, have fun and support but as always, shooting with Tristan is awesome, creative and guarnteed that you walk away with something new to work on. Hes a gifted, educated and EXPERIENCED instructor that works with you, side by side, while building your skills all the while. I have enough experience in the shooting and instructing world to recognize a talented and passionatie instructor when I come across one and Tristan kills it. While many instructors stand by and TELL you what to do, Tristan SHOWS you, including pushing himself off the rails from time to time (along side you) so that you can see, even top tier shooters miss their targets sometimes. This goes a LONG ways in creating an instructor/student relationship quickly. I can not reccomend Foss Protection enough and with Tristan's background, you are getting absoloute top tier instruction for the time and money you invest.

How did it work with two different skill levels? I got a buddy I want to convince to take a class. I would also be doing it with him and wondered how two different skills would work out? Im no expert, but have a serious head start on my buddy. Like everyone, I could really benefit from some formal training myself. I'm a member at RF&G and shoot there regularly.

I can not speak for how Tristan (owner of Foss) might handle each private lesson, as every one is different but he is very good at creating a challenging shoot for all levels. I have trained under him a number of times before (and have other training/course completion as well) My wife is familiar with firearms but not nearly as "into" it as myself, this was her first time running from a holster. The course I ran with my wife, I shot seperate from her and a long side her. The class was definately fundamental focused but thats what I told him I wanted for her, fundamentals for her and efficieny and speed work for myself, which afterall... are simply refining the fundamentals. What this looks like in practice... is setting up various drills and movement scenarios, intro to barrier work and holster work, with her running SLOW and deliberate, while Im attemtping to push myself off the rails and "John Wick" it up a bit lol. He will have her shoot under his close watch while instructing and explaining, showing and helping her out. My turn would come, and its all timers and pushing to failure. Same drills, just different approaches. Keep in mind this was all set up ahead of time and I explained I wanted the course to be more about her. If its just myself the scenarios, times and layouts are different.

Hope that helps.

Yes, after thinking about it I think I want to just do my own. I do agree, I need training in the fundamentals area and thats why I thought booking with a friend would be fun. I got the safety and how my firearm works part. I want to learn speed and accuracy, and that I feel starts with the basic mechanics and I have no formal training.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top