JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Actually, my next property will be a lot more flat - gently sloping to the south. Preferably with a clear field of fire.
Smaller scale of this if possible? Vauban styled fort, apparently is American... Ft McHenry:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: main-qimg-835d0741c3eff1188c5bd4badc6771f5.jpeg

For some reason this thread makes me think of that house on the coast that has a huge chain link security fence around it. Can't quite remember where it is. Garibaldi-ish maybe?

And houses are built with siding, drywall and framing. It would take more than 15 minutes to make a hole big enough to get through, and it's not like no one is going to notice. :rolleyes:

My Stihl gas cut off saw with a Diablo diamond blade says I can be in your house in less than 3 minutes. Noisy granted, but that window frame is going to go real fast guaranteed.

Ya because everyone has a hot saw in the trunk of their car:rolleyes:

I've thought about this before, heard some stories of it happening. We live in an area where most lots are about an acre. Neighbors aren't too close. Lots of trees, it isn't unusual to hear chainsaws running from time to time. I wonder if a neighbor of mine would ever think engine noise from my place was anything but my own. I think it's a viable concern under some conditions. Most residential break-ins are kind of a version of smash and grab. Breaking a window is a lot faster than tearing a hole in the wall. So doing the latter is just a lot more trouble for a quick burglary by tweakers.

Along the same line, I think wall interior wall demolition might be of more concern. Meaning, with a safe placed against it on one side with access on the other. When crooks break in for long burglaries, it has been known that they make off with an entire safe. If the safe is bolted to the floor but against a shared interior wall, the rear wall can be torn out or at least broken through to get more leverage against it.

Ive been happy with a cheap laser from harbor freight that when the beam is broken it rings a bell in my room and lets me know when somebody is where they have no business being. I have one on the only 2 ways into my yard.

I've liked this idea before but never have done anything about it. Beam placed about three and a half feet off the ground. There are deer in the area but I've never seen them on my property.

I'm older and live in a fairly secure area. Not that stuff doesn't occasionally happen. I've got the cameras up, security lighting, etc. But I've been retired for years, my schedule is very irregular and unpredictable. People around here never know when I may be here or not. My vehicles don't necessarily reflect presence or absence.

I have to say that at my stage in life, I don't cleave to the bunker mentality. It doesn't make for a comfortable life. You just have to take the prudent steps and call it good or else move somewhere else. And I would if I thought I had to put up burglar bars.

Story in my family. My sister is very well-to-do, since we were kids she always wanted to live in a certain neighborhood in our home town. The part where the professionals and other wealthy people lived. She got to live her dream and live in this fancy neighborhood. It still exists. A lot changes in 60 or 70 years. The difference is, there is a ghetto to the south, and a much bigger ghetto to the north with a major arterial road running right through that connects both. Last time I was there, over half the fancy homes in my sister's neighborhood had burglar bars on the windows. The crooks driving between the ghettos turn off the arterial and detour through the fancy neighborhood looking for places to boost. Living in a fancy home under siege isn't my idea of homeowner enjoyment.

I have a picture I took of it somewhere, wish I could find it to share. House in the desert of southern California, near an off-road vehicle area. Five acres surrounded by chain link fence, ground completely clear of any vegetation. House COMPLETELY covered with steel bars, even over the roof. Tented you might say. I've wondered if the cleared ground contained land mines. Many structures in the area have been broken into, worse, stripped of siding for off-roaders to use for camp fires.

Along the same line, I think wall interior wall demolition might be of more concern. Meaning, with a safe placed against it on one side with access on the other. When crooks break in for long burglaries, it has been known that they make off with an entire safe. If the safe is bolted to the floor but against a shared interior wall, the rear wall can be torn out or at least broken through to get more leverage against it.

Burglary in my former home town in the valley about 4 or 5 years ago, where the perps just cut the back wall out of a house and took a large gun safe with guns and money out of it. Had a contractor type looking truck with a box trailer. Took them less than 20 minutes to do it, with cut off saws, cut the floor up and all. The owner was less than forthcoming and helpful with the police.

Turns out he was quite the party animal, like to drink at one of the local bars and was known to supplement his regular job by selling blow to his good time buddies. He also was full of bullsh*t and talked a lot. You add all those things up and the fact the crime was never solved and over $ 15,000 in guns and $ 18,000 in cash was in the safe. Go figure. Right in town in broad day light too.

For some reason this thread makes me think of that house on the coast that has a huge chain link security fence around it. Can't quite remember where it is. Garibaldi-ish maybe?

Just south of Netarts heading towards the fish hatchery right on the bay. Probably 10 foot tall with 3 strand barb wire out sloping on it. Always wondered why they had that there.

Just south of Netarts heading towards the fish hatchery right on the bay. Probably 10 foot tall with 3 strand barb wire out sloping on it. Always wondered why they had that there.

That's the one. I heard he's some dude that made/makes a bunch of money in the gambling industry or something like that. The story has gotta be something mildly interesting, or annoying. One of the two :)

Here's what I do for home security, I keep the garage door shut unless I'm working in it. I lock my doors when I leave. I've made friends with some of my neighbors and become part of the neighborhood watch. I patrol the 'hood at random hours and they watch my house for me. Works out well for all of us and it fosters a sense of community. Lastly I keep my homeowners insurance paid up with an additional rider for the guns.

20 acres with a gully down the middle?

Are you going to pay for the fence? We are not talking about a puny barbed wire fence - this would have to be a fence that keeps out raccoons, deer, coyotes and such.

Nope. I don't mind them visiting.

You know what would be really kewl?

Perimeter lazerz with cameras that turn on when the beam is tripped - and your own AI system to look at the cameras for you and only alert you when it recognizes a human in the video!

But then we'd have tweaker burglars dressing up as barney the dinosaur! :s0140:

Last Edited:
As someone who is not a tweaker but has 6 cameras facing outward from my house, I laughed really hard reading through this thread.

I like that if I hear an odd noise in the night I can look at my phone and see live feed rather than have to get out of bed and wander around looking out windows.

Home security depends on location, rural vs urban can have different security needs. First step seems to be not looking like a place someone wants to break into, most burglaries / break ins seem to have some kind of affiliation with the house, having friends with big mouths who like to talk about what you have at your house is a quick way to get robbed.

Seems to me the point isn't to make your house impregnable, because that's impossible, but to make it significantly inconvenient compared to other houses.

A few cameras, a good dog, some perimeter lighting and doors that can't be kicked in in 2 seconds. Seems like a good start. I always liked the idea of a solid concrete first floor, but probably the best security feature of my house is that it was built in 1912 and doesn't look nearly as fancy as just about every house on the block. Fancy = expensive things inside.

I live in a Sec 8 subsidized apartment complex, which has had a recent spate of thefts from cars and common areas:mad::mad: (didn't used to have that problem until fairly recently)

Sooo the managing company installed poles with bubble cameras... guess what, their lines got cut for the copper :rolleyes: One has had its bubble destroyed and likely ruined camera... :rolleyes:

What we do now is basically keep apt locked 24-7 and vehicle locked at all times, with nothing "worth taking" left in the vehicle nor outside. Most of the ground floor residents have gone so far as to keep their bicycles indoor; while the upper floor residents have the fortunate advantage of wrought iron guardrails/fencing on the walkways to lock their bicycles to. I've asked the company if they would be willing to invest in quality ground floor bicycle racks set in concrete for residents to secure their bicycles to; but I don't think it'll happen right away :rolleyes: Ah the joy of bureaucracy... invest in cameras that gets damaged but not in providing secure means to lock bicycles up :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (but the parking lots got repaved so thats cool :rolleyes: )

Anyways I've thought of installing doorstops/bolt on jamb reinforcements but part of the lease agreements is to pay for damages from door kicking activities regardless of why :rolleyes::mad:

So... so far we haven't had any case of police serving no knock warrants. I think the management company actually lobbied to prevent these happening to their complexes due to costs of repairs :rolleyes:

You know what would be really kewl?

Perimeter lazerz with cameras that turn on when the beam is tripped - and your own AI system to look at the cameras for you and only alert you when it recognizes a human in the video!

But then we'd have tweaker burglars dressing up as barney the dinosaur! :s0140:

My understanding is that very high end systems already do this.

Being in the boonies, so far I don't have problems with human trespassers and the critters don't bother me - I am glad to share my outdoors with them (the mice that come inside I hate though).

The only trespassing problem I have had is Jehovah Witnesses coming by about every 4 years. I was polite but tempted to tell them that they were trespassing since they came a quarter mile down a private road to interrupt my weekend relaxation and that they weren't welcome (even though they were two very pretty young ladies).

I keep my homeowners insurance paid up with an additional rider for the guns.

This. At least if a break-in does occur, you won't be out the money that your firearms represent. I was "self insured" for decades. In later years, I've carried a separate policy for firearms and related stuff. The policy I have now includes coverage for ammo and reloading equipment and supplies. The value of ammo isn't to be ignored. The annual cost of the policy is minimal.

Seems to me the point isn't to make your house impregnable, because that's impossible, but to make it significantly inconvenient compared to other houses.

This. And less obvious as a target of value. Hey, get some of those brightly colored, large plastic children's toys and scatter them around the front yard. Like Big Wheels and a climbing structure. Crooks may know that most people with little kids around don't have any money or valuables! Park the Lexus in the garage and leave the rusty F-150 in the driveway for all to see.

Hard and soft fortification is important.
I have the normal and actually the entry into my house is normal and soft when compared to some options.

I do have soft measures such as 24/7 video recording with a computer that is hidden and unlikely to be found that is hardwired into my network.
Cameras can be a good deterrent but not always effective.

Get anywhere within 50' of the property and you are recorded; audio and video.
I have the ability to store probably a year + with current storage of high definition video and audio. Even at night, you will see a red ring after you've been caught.

Cameras today are no joke.

I have a single camera that catches pretty much all of the living area and the entrance doors. That and my EDC. I feel more than safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top