JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If your serious about fortifying bandit barrier can sometimes be found for a pretty good price on craigslist or Ebay. Few years ago I acquired 6 4x8 sheets of 3/4" for $1000 off craigslist. Dude tossed in a heavy duty door frame and steel door. He said he got it out of a remodel bank.

Lighting?

I take a contrary view of that compared to most people.

My house is about 100 yards off a private road, about a quarter mile down that private road from a public back road that goes nowhere (it is a loop) on a mountain. During the summer you pretty much can't see it from the private road. At night, winter or summer, you still can't see it because I don't light up the outside to advertise that it is there. Neighbors are not going to see somebody breaking into it whether I light it up or not - they can't see it from their house so what use is it to light it up?

All that is accomplished by lighting it up at night is letting anybody that is driving by know that there is a house hidden back in there and that makes it a target.

Now most of my neighbors (save one or two) on the private road, leave enough lights on outside their house that I can see them miles away.

Does that mean that if someone comes to my house I am not going to notice them? No. I have motion sensor lights on the driveway and on the outside of the house and shop. They work well - but only come on when someone or something trips them. I need to put more out there and some surveillance cams and such, but it is my neighbors who will be the targets as coming down the road you don't even know there is a house there.

The neighbors leave their lights on whether they are there or not, and for some it is fairly easy to know whether they are home or not. Me? Not so much. First, I am home almost every night (maybe gone for a few hours). Being a hermit means I spend almost every night at home. When I go to bed, all lights go off - if someone breaks in, they will get a magnum load of buckshot. During the day, they won't know whether I am home or not unless they have cased my house and know my comings and goings (there are multiple vehicles here) - which would be apparent as only 8 families live on my road and everybody knows whose car belongs to who so a car hanging around would look suspicious.

Just saying - maybe lights make more sense for others, but not to me.

1581737937715.png

The idea of fortifying a home built of 2 x 6 framing, doors and windows, cement siding is ludicrous. A few .308 rounds, couple of .00 buckshot rounds or door blaster rounds are going right through the entire house. And those . 308 rounds can still penetrate from 300 plus meters away, well out of your line of sight. A house is only as good as what it is built out of. You would need reinforced bunkers or redoubts of some kind well away from the primary structure in order to stop any threats.

Perimeter alarms to warn you of and allow you to deal with intruders well before they get close enough to breach any doors or other entry points is going to be required. If you allow them to approach unchallenged, they are going to be at your door, with a 12 gauge door round to breach the lock, then followed by a door pounder and the first one through the door is going to be spraying 556 or buck shot rounds around the room. Entry accomplished. I have seen it done. They may even toss a flash bang or two through the window to slow you down a bit too.

Our property here in Central Oregon is on top of a hill, 450 feet off the road with 68 foot of elevation gain on three sides. The back would be a bit more tricky to defend, but the terrain is some rim rock that would have to be dealt with and not allow a full on charge. But again, a SAW pointed up my hill makes it all useless really.

Always remember cover and concealment are two very different things.
Don't forget, a consumer drone carrying a Mason jar full of jelly gas and a lit road flare will burn some stuff. :p

Neighbors are sometimes the best. At the end of our driveway, with three other houses before ours, is three large Great Pyrenees that act as an early warning system whenever someone drives up the road. All of my neighbors watch out for each other.

Statewide.

Relevant sections.
9. Barbed and/or razor wire fences. No person or persons being the owner of or agent for or in possession and control of any property within the city limits shall construct or permit to exist any fence around or in front of such premises, consisting wholly or partially of barbed and/or razor wire, except to provide security at a government-owned property or privately owned utility where security for the property is mandated by law; provided that the provisions of this section shall only extend to fences that are within ten (10) feet of a street or alley or other public place within the City.

10. Electric fences. It is unlawful to erect or install or maintain any electric fence within the city limits except for low-voltage, solar fences installed atop a 6-foot non-electric fence for the purposes of protecting farms or agricultural animals. "Electric fence" means any fence with above-ground electric conductors carrying electric current supplied by batteries, commercial power or any other source of electricity, erected for the purpose of retaining or excluding any animals, livestock, or persons.
May be just jurisdiction, contact your County or City council.

Put cameras all over and everyone will think you're a tweeker. Back in my uniform days, we went to a tweeker's house to arrest him. No answer, but there was a camera by the front door. So, staying off camera, I stuck my P226 into the lens. Let him reflect on that...

Posted signage I would image would help to let someone know they've been warned much like how for compliance its best in Oregon law to have posted signage for no weapons allowed. Believe this allows law enforcement to say you was warned now we open the book.

Security is obviously desirable. A combination of significant lighting, motion lights, IR video cameras, natural barriers like thorn bushes, gravel around the exterior to make it loud so folks cannot sneak around. Eliminate all hiding spots and shadows with lighting. Harden doors and windows. That glass film is a good idea. Signs warning trespassers about cameras, alarms, and dogs and no-trespassing are useful. Window alarms. A professional alarm company. Ability to monitor house from afar is good. Ring doorbell or similar might be useful. Taller fences, or pushing the fencing out farther. Layered fences perhaps. Interior lighting on timers.
There are drone camera systems that release and hover from a "nest" when someone trespasses and breaks a zone. You can also get alarms when people breach a zone. Extra car, even an old car, in the driveway. Move it around once in awhile.

Beyond that, you're starting to get into FORTRESS territory. And then maybe counter-productive to the point of starting to advertise that you need a lot of security because you have valuables worthy of stealing.

Ive been happy with a cheap laser from harbor freight that when the beam is broken it rings a bell in my room and lets me know when somebody is where they have no business being. I have one on the only 2 ways into my yard.

I will admit ive had a few false alarms from big loose dogs and i learned to put it away from bushes that sway in the wind.
I have a driveway alarm my kids gave me - I think it is a photobeam or laser. I have not installed it. The deer and other critters use the driveway all the time. Used to have dogs visiting me and that was welcome, but a couple of them got in fights so now all dogs are usually on a leash, with a few exceptions so visitations are now rare. Neighbor put in an invisible fence for his new puppies and they are well trained to not go beyond it - now they have LED lights on their collars; several times I see the glowing collars but not the dogs themselves when I drive by their house - eery.

Since we're just spitballin' here and not actually paying for anything, high fence around peremiter of entire property and a big gate. :s0078: No mo falsies

20 acres with a gully down the middle?

Are you going to pay for the fence? We are not talking about a puny barbed wire fence - this would have to be a fence that keeps out raccoons, deer, coyotes and such.

Nope. I don't mind them visiting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads