JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

New member, James here. My wife and I came across some bad vandalism last Thursday while scouting out shooting areas. Five or six large (18"-24" dia.) evergreens had been shot down in a shooting area off Hwy 26. Clean up would require a number of chain saws. Which member should I report the specifics too. Want to follow the proper chain of command for this group. Thanks. James

Five or six large (18"-24" dia.) evergreens had been shot down in a shooting area off Hwy 26.
Just for clarification do you actually mean they were literally separated by gunfire and dropped to the ground? It would take an incredible amount of ammo to accomplish this and over a long period of time given the size and number you mentioned. Regardless unless this is in a legal woodcutting area there is no real 'clean up' necessary - they are downed trees, not unnatural trash, and unless they are blocking a road or in such a position to be dangerous to the public they will most likely stay where they are - as do the millions of trees already down in the forest. Shooting at trees however (alive or dead) is illegal and the FS LEOs will cite if they observe someone doing it.

The trees have fallen across the actual shooting lane and yes they were shot down. No evidence of any cutting. I was so shocked by it I took photos. Will post them if I can figure out how to do it. Thanks, James

image.jpg

image.jpg

Have you dug around the stump to find bullets? If this is the case however it took a LOT of ammo to drop the trees. Again though they are just trees on the ground and if they are in your way then you might have to consider moving them yourself. I doubt the Forest Circus will concern themselves much about them.

The stumps are full of bullets. I pulled many out easily by hand. All large caliber(30 and up). It's too bad. This is a great pistol area. It has a nice turn off but the actual shooting lane is narrow enough so no one can come in and try to shoot beside you. It appears to be an old abandoned road. A row of large boulders line the opening.

And TV's and computers, and couches, and refrigerators. People are pigs, we need to self police this behavior and shame anyone you see doing this.

I do know however you can request a woodcutting permit OUT of an established cutting area for specific trees that are a nuisance, in the way etc. such as this so if someone happens to need firewood and these are close this might be an option. AND typically it only applies to already downed trees such as this.

I was just thinking how hard it'd be on a chainsaw's chain cutting through all those slugs..... The occasional nail or embedded wire fencing was bad enough during my one year as a lumberjack. o_O
Just borrow the neighbors and make the lowest cut the last. lol. Lead and copper are pretty soft anyway.
Interesting story.. (?lol) years ago I chopped directly through a swarm (around 3000) of sintered iron 9mm slugs embedded in a length of bull pine with a Cold Steel Trail Master, carbon V.. it still shaved hair after doing that.

I'll keep that in mind if I ever want to shave off my face! :D
Well, just telling. I'm surprised that you didn't say "but there could be tungsten penetrators!".. and that could be true and would certainly be a problem. lol
Most guys actually use a chainsaw (usually electric) to whittle bricks out of large "pigs" of lead. You "can" use an axe but I wouldn't recommend it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top