JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, it really doesn't! It's a rather anemic cartridge, even when compared to things like the ol' .30-30 Winchester. Sure, it shoots flatter, but it has LOTS less energy. The average deer or (God forbid!) elk rifle is far more powerful than the 5.56/.223 cartridge.
I've always been amazed at the stupidity of that line ever since I heard it for the first time. Having grown up around hunting and guns where the standard deer rifle was a 30-06, the .223 round has always looked puny to me.

Wanna see carnage? How about 12 gauge #4 buckshot in a crowded room?
I agree that 'the officer' is full of crap, however.
In the Christchurch NZ shooting, the perpetrator started with a 12 gauge and switched to the AR-15 when he ran out of ammo. No one survived from the 12 guage, but some did survive being shot by the AR15. The .223 was selected as the smallest round that might kill so a soldier could carry more. Hit the center of mass and it will kill, but anywhere else and it may not.

This idiots mind would be really blown if he knew about the DPMS long action AR where you can get .308 / 7.62x51 and 6.5mm Creedmore in an AR. An officers vest may stop a .223, but forget about a .308 or 6.5 unless they're level 4 plates.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top