1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Former Kirkland man headed to prison for Cold War weapons cache

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Joe Link, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Original story here: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...aded_to_prison_for_belle.html?syndication=rss

2. Abe Froman

Abe Froman West of Salem Active Member

I had read this story on another forum when he was first arrested. After reading this I can't decide whether to side with him or with the courts. He did break the law and without laws there would be chaos. I guess he should have bought legal weapons, and payed for his storage fee.
  3. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

But I do find it very funny that in the picture of the EVIL EVIL guns, there is a box of ice cream cones. Were they confiscated too?

What does the BATF have against ice cream? :laugh:
  4. Creeper

Creeper Ravensdale, WA. Member

With a bit of luck, after the story dies down a bit... say 12 to 16 months, they'll probably cut him loose on probation. One would hope, for his families sake.

5. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member

I for one would have been more than happy to sit on the jury and find him not guilty. Funny how they dont tell you about jury nullification anymore isnt it...
  6. BG191

BG191 Onalaska,WA Member

Aren't these things illegal because of an infringing Tax?
    I guess freedom ISN'T free.
    Victimless, save for the system's new victim; Ronald Struve,Grandfather?,67
    I'm sure he is a REAL threat, he can probably remember what it was like to be free.
    Keep your bills current!
    Pay the government taxes and fees so they can grant you privileges the constitution guaranteed us as a rights!
    Say nothing "inflamatory", Don't fight for what's right, Think of only yourself and the here and now, follow the other sheep, Stay asleep.
    Just my opinion.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  7. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

If I have to pay the $200 tax for every silencer I want and anything else fun then he does also. You can't break the law, I think he got what he deserved. I
  8. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

4 counts of having unregistered weapons? I did not realize that was a crime at all... In WA do all your weapons have to be registered?

If so every time I cross the border I'm breaking the law and could be arrested!?!?
  9. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Yes, but also the report said some of them were stolen government property.
  10. wayoutwest

wayoutwest Polk County, Oregon Active Member

Legal? Illegal? I think illegal but it's too bad he got caught for failing to pay rent of the unit...I am sure there are other cache like this around the states
  11. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

No, there's no registration in Washington, me thinks they may be referring to the Full-Auto types he had...among other other things.

I find it sad as well. Here's a guy that sat quietly thru life, collected weapons and left them as is.
  12. CharlesAFerg

CharlesAFerg Beaverton Active Member

Oh no! What if there was an earthquake, ...or a fire! :paranoid:

13. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

I don't know which weapon you are talking about, but if it is the rifle on the bi-pod towards the back, it is an Australian L2A1 (Heavy barrel, Inch Pattern FAL) a select fire or maybe semi auto only .308, BAR style rifle. Those things are serious bank.

I want that for my collection.

14. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

This guy was harmless. Seems the BATF were on about making an example of him, and patting their own backs for "dealing with a dangerous situation". Biggest danger was when he failed to pay the rent, some "arms length" citizen came into possession of quite a collection of, uhm, 'interesting' stuff. Had I been the lucky chap to land that cache, I;m not sure what I'd have done with it, but I KNOW I'd not have turned it over to the Feds. If it was impossible to "liquidate" and keep MY skin intact, I'd rather cut it and scrap it. I'd not have turned it over to the Feds.

Too bad the Feds aren't as serious about eliminating weapons from the hands of the gangs, druggies, etc..... there have been several drive-by shootings, apparently at random, in Seattle recently. Weapons almost certainly in the hands of those prohibited from owning them. This chaps stash could have sat quietly and harmlessly by for another fifty years. But people are being shot regularly by those with illegal weapons. Oh well, seems the feds have to make a good showing somehow. Cowards.... I'd have been happy with giving the guy probation, suspending the real sentence, and barring him from owning any firearms in the future. At worst. Forty years, they just sat there, harming no one.

and WHY are these particular types illegal? Those "stolen" from the military.... did they try and find out WHO snagged them, brought them into the civilian sphere, and sold them "on the black market"? THEY are more guilty than this guy, who mightn 't have known they were "re-allocated" illegally.

Just watch, someone will try and make this another point on the side of an "assault weapons ban". But, WHY did the man go to jail, if not for possessing already-banned weapons? The ban works real well.......
  15. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Damn how would you feel if you bought that stash?

I wouldn't have told anyone.

But, after so long? I realize he should have to pay the price for putting people in danger. But in the cold war that guy would be your best friend.

I would have done the same thing if possible.

I was reading this article about stuff found inside storage lockers. and one in the east coast some cocaine dealer got busted and obviously couldn't pay his bill, they went to open it and auction it away and found a 10x10 storage of cash money. Over 4 million dollars in cash. Stacked like 2 feet high from front to back. I would have crapped.
  16. slythorne

slythorne Western Washington Member

If i had found that stash I probably would have taken the guns away before calling the ATF to dispose of the explosives. :cool:
  17. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

He was charged for having "unregistered NFA full auto weapons". Registration is volluntary in WA. You don't have to register normal semi auto guns, or handguns.
    He had to have known it was illegal stuff. You wanna play with the feds, be ready to get caught. Should have paid his rent. Or burried it in the desert.
  18. Redrum

Redrum Portlandia Member

that BAR alone is probably worth easy 15 grand...the 2 grease guns and the swedish K aren't cheap either...its pretty obvious its all vietnam era stuff.

Funny thing is..I dont see any magazines or ammo in the picture and nothing is mentioned about any in the article..hard to have a "Arsenal" capable of mass destruction without amunition and magazines for the guns
  19. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

And they were stolen from the military. But good point. Wouldn't having full auto be tax evasion and not anything else?
  20. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Huh, why would you keep all that stuff in a storage locker? Can't he think of somewhere safer maybe on his own property? It's a shame owning this stuff is illegal, I wonder where you find these black market weapons dealers. I wish I had some C4... D: