JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Original story here: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...aded_to_prison_for_belle.html?syndication=rss

Former Kirkland man headed to prison for Cold War weapons cache

Posted by John de Leon
-- From Times staff reporter Ian Ith:

To everyone who knew him, Ronald Struve was not the kind of man who would one day be arrested by federal agents and, at age 67, be sent off to prison for four years on weapons charges.

He was the jovial bachelor uncle, the eccentric, introverted pack-rat who loved his pet birds and fed the wild critters who came to his back porch. For four decades, he went to work every day as a court stenographer, and even shared a rental house with a King County sheriff's deputy for awhile.

But during the decades of the Cold War, Struve also sincerely believed that it was only a matter of time before the Soviets or the Red Chinese came storming onto American soil to conquer our way of life. So quietly, Struve collected an arsenal and stuck it away in rented storage lockers in Bellevue and Spokane: grenade launchers, dozens of grenades and machine guns, plastic explosives, silencers, blasting caps and detonator cord.

The Cold War ended, of course, and Struve quit worrying so much. But he just couldn't bear to part with his collection.

Then one day he failed to pay the bill on the Bellevue locker. Someone bought the contents at auction. Struve's secret was out.

This morning in Seattle, U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman sentenced Struve to 48 months in prison, three years of probation and mental health counseling, saying, "The bottom line is people simply should not have these things and that's why we have laws against them."

"Your collections have put other people at risk for decades," she said.

Struve <broken link removed> in March to one count of possessing plastic explosives and four counts of possessing unregistered firearms. In return, the government dropped more than 100 other counts against him.

When agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms first searched the Bellevue locker in November, 2008, one veteran agent said, "In all my years, I've never seen this sort of firepower in one place."

They tallied two grenade launchers, fifty-four grenades, six big blocks of C4 plastic explosive, 37 machine guns from the Vietnam-War era, among other weapons. One of the grenades had been "dud-fired," meaning someone had pulled the pin and it could potentially still go off with a mere jiggle. Many of the items turned out to be stolen from the military long ago.

The agents also found more weapons in a locker Struve rented in Spokane. When they arrested Struve at his Spokane home, they said he told them he might use the weapons "some day," against "the enemy."

2008660445.jpg

Prosecutors asked for a 63-month sentence this morning. Assistant U.S. Attorney Thomas Woods said in court papers that Struve's arsenal "to say the least, was capable of inflicting deadly force on a devastating scale."

What if there had been an earthquake or a fire, Woods wondered. What if the person who bought the locker's contents at auction had been a little rougher when moving all the boxes home? What if a criminal had broken in and stolen the stuff?

"The scope of the arsenal in this case was simply breathtaking," Woods said. "Quite simply, this was one of the largest arsenals for one person in this region's history."

But Struve said he never meant to hurt anyone.

In a letter to the judge, Struve said he started collecting weapons on the black market in the 1960s, while the Vietnam War raged. "As a young man, I became an anticommunist and that influenced my thoughts and beliefs," he wrote. "I thought there was a strong possibility we (the U.S.) would be attacked by the Russians/Red Chinese."

But as the years went by, Struve said, he has been "modifying and tempering my beliefs and thoughts about world events and politics in general."

Even so, he was devoted to his collection, and figured it might be worth something, he wrote. He tried to keep the weapons safe, he said. And he emphasized that he never fired any of them.

"I am not a violent person and have never knowingly hurt another person," he wrote.

And his family and friends eagerly backed that up.

His nieces and nephews recalled "Uncle Ronnie," the guy who showed up for every family get-together, the guy whose habit of collecting everything from old magazines to war paraphernalia to pet birds was endearing, not worrying.

"He is a bit eccentric, but harmless," his niece, Tanya Fresquez of Las Vegas, wrote to the judge. "I beg of you to see that he is harmless."

And his former roommate, retired sheriff's captain James O'Brien, recounted that when the two shared a house in Kirkland many years ago, the raccoons and squirrels made a nightly pilgrimage to their backdoor for Struve's handouts.

"Ron has always been a quiet, friendly and caring person, close to his family in California," O'Brien wrote. "Ron is a good person who had made some bad choices."

Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company

I had read this story on another forum when he was first arrested. After reading this I can't decide whether to side with him or with the courts. He did break the law and without laws there would be chaos. I guess he should have bought legal weapons, and payed for his storage fee.

Not a wise manuever.

But I do find it very funny that in the picture of the EVIL EVIL guns, there is a box of ice cream cones. Were they confiscated too?

What does the BATF have against ice cream? :s0114:

With a bit of luck, after the story dies down a bit... say 12 to 16 months, they'll probably cut him loose on probation. One would hope, for his families sake.

C

Aren't these things illegal because of an infringing Tax?
I guess freedom ISN'T free.
Victimless, save for the system's new victim; Ronald Struve,Grandfather?,67
I'm sure he is a REAL threat, he can probably remember what it was like to be free.
Keep your bills current!
Pay the government taxes and fees so they can grant you privileges the constitution guaranteed us as a rights!
Say nothing "inflamatory", Don't fight for what's right, Think of only yourself and the here and now, follow the other sheep, Stay asleep.
Just my opinion.

Last Edited:
4 counts of having unregistered weapons? I did not realize that was a crime at all... In WA do all your weapons have to be registered?

If so every time I cross the border I'm breaking the law and could be arrested!?!?

Is that a BAR, I really want a BAR....

Legal? Illegal? I think illegal but it's too bad he got caught for failing to pay rent of the unit...I am sure there are other cache like this around the states

4 counts of having unregistered weapons? I did not realize that was a crime at all... In WA do all your weapons have to be registered?

If so every time I cross the border I'm breaking the law and could be arrested!?!?

No, there's no registration in Washington, me thinks they may be referring to the Full-Auto types he had...among other other things.

I find it sad as well. Here's a guy that sat quietly thru life, collected weapons and left them as is.

Is that a BAR, I really want a BAR....

Legal? Illegal? I think illegal but it's too bad he got caught for failing to pay rent of the unit...I am sure there are other cache like this around the states

I don't know which weapon you are talking about, but if it is the rifle on the bi-pod towards the back, it is an Australian L2A1 (Heavy barrel, Inch Pattern FAL) a select fire or maybe semi auto only .308, BAR style rifle. Those things are serious bank.

I want that for my collection.

SF-

This guy was harmless. Seems the BATF were on about making an example of him, and patting their own backs for "dealing with a dangerous situation". Biggest danger was when he failed to pay the rent, some "arms length" citizen came into possession of quite a collection of, uhm, 'interesting' stuff. Had I been the lucky chap to land that cache, I;m not sure what I'd have done with it, but I KNOW I'd not have turned it over to the Feds. If it was impossible to "liquidate" and keep MY skin intact, I'd rather cut it and scrap it. I'd not have turned it over to the Feds.

Too bad the Feds aren't as serious about eliminating weapons from the hands of the gangs, druggies, etc..... there have been several drive-by shootings, apparently at random, in Seattle recently. Weapons almost certainly in the hands of those prohibited from owning them. This chaps stash could have sat quietly and harmlessly by for another fifty years. But people are being shot regularly by those with illegal weapons. Oh well, seems the feds have to make a good showing somehow. Cowards.... I'd have been happy with giving the guy probation, suspending the real sentence, and barring him from owning any firearms in the future. At worst. Forty years, they just sat there, harming no one.

and WHY are these particular types illegal? Those "stolen" from the military.... did they try and find out WHO snagged them, brought them into the civilian sphere, and sold them "on the black market"? THEY are more guilty than this guy, who mightn 't have known they were "re-allocated" illegally.

Just watch, someone will try and make this another point on the side of an "assault weapons ban". But, WHY did the man go to jail, if not for possessing already-banned weapons? The ban works real well.......

Damn how would you feel if you bought that stash?

I wouldn't have told anyone.

But, after so long? I realize he should have to pay the price for putting people in danger. But in the cold war that guy would be your best friend.

I would have done the same thing if possible.

I was reading this article about stuff found inside storage lockers. and one in the east coast some cocaine dealer got busted and obviously couldn't pay his bill, they went to open it and auction it away and found a 10x10 storage of cash money. Over 4 million dollars in cash. Stacked like 2 feet high from front to back. I would have crapped.

He was charged for having "unregistered NFA full auto weapons". Registration is volluntary in WA. You don't have to register normal semi auto guns, or handguns.
He had to have known it was illegal stuff. You wanna play with the feds, be ready to get caught. Should have paid his rent. Or burried it in the desert.

that BAR alone is probably worth easy 15 grand...the 2 grease guns and the swedish K aren't cheap either...its pretty obvious its all vietnam era stuff.

Funny thing is..I dont see any magazines or ammo in the picture and nothing is mentioned about any in the article..hard to have a "Arsenal" capable of mass destruction without amunition and magazines for the guns

Huh, why would you keep all that stuff in a storage locker? Can't he think of somewhere safer maybe on his own property? It's a shame owning this stuff is illegal, I wonder where you find these black market weapons dealers. I wish I had some C4... D:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top