JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Working on doing a SBR, when it asks caliber shouldn't there be a multi option?
No you can not do that now. You have to declare a caliber. Either go with different uppers or in my case use something like the dolos. I have a 5.56 sbr that I can change the barrel to 300blk. form 1 has down the 5.56 barrel and length. The lower is the most important part.

No you can not do that now. You have to declare a caliber. Either go with different uppers or in my case use something like the dolos. I have a 5.56 sbr that I can change the barrel to 300blk. form 1 has down the 5.56 barrel and length. The lower is the most important part.
So it's a 300 blk but could swap uppers if I want?

So it's a 300 blk but could swap uppers if I want?
Yes but you have to keep the original upper basically. that is you can pull the barrel and change calibers. You have to be able to convert it back to original. better to do new upper in the new caliber and keep the other one in the case or safe. the key is being able to return easily to original length and caliber.

Yes but you have to keep the original upper basically. that is you can pull the barrel and change calibers. You have to be able to convert it back to original. better to do new upper in the new caliber and keep the other one in the case or safe. the key is being able to return easily to original length and caliber.
No you don't. Total NFA old wives tale. Why don't you point out in the Federal registry the GCA the NFA or anywhere else including maybe the ATF FAQ where it says to do any of that.The ATF likes you to inform them of PERMANENT changes so they can update the registry but there is no law to back that up nor is there even an actual ATF form to do it on.

You don't have to keep the original upper or barrel

Last Edited:
This is awesome. Appreciate the tutorial!

But I'm just now trying to learn about this stuff. What is the difference between Form 1 and Form 4?

If I walk into a shop or find a silencer online I want, does that fall under Form 1? Or is form 1 where you buy a kit of some sort (basically a disassembled commercial silencer) and actual put some effort into 'manufacturing' it?

This is awesome. Appreciate the tutorial!

But I'm just now trying to learn about this stuff. What is the difference between Form 1 and Form 4?

If I walk into a shop or find a silencer online I want, does that fall under Form 1? Or is form 1 where you buy a kit of some sort (basically a disassembled commercial silencer) and actual put some effort into 'manufacturing' it?
If you buy a silencer its on a form 4 . You cant buy a kit any more. That ship sailed.

its still ok to use raw materials and your own equipment to turn one down on a lathe and mill out parts isnt it? just no more "solvent trap kits?"
Supposedly. I'm still waiting on the last from 1 I filed. I had filed one before that and it got rejected for a completely fabricated lie by the ATF.

If a person already had all the parts on hand, tube, end caps, baffles, etc can you still get it approved via form 1 or will atf reject it by calling it a solvent trap kit, even though it isn't?

If a person already had all the parts on hand, tube, end caps, baffles, etc can you still get it approved via form 1 or will atf reject it by calling it a solvent trap kit, even though it isn't?
from all I have seen yes. They ask where you got the parts, what tools you will use and so on. Given what you list it is unlikely they would approve a Form 1 at this time

from all I have seen yes. They ask where you got the parts, what tools you will use and so on. Given what you list it is unlikely they would approve a Form 1 at this time
So the part where they ask u where parts are from, what tools you use etc is a second step and you don't list that stuff on the form 1?

So it sounds like the form 1 process for these is now a 2 part application in reality?

Part 1: You do a form 1 and wait for the questions.

Part 2: you answer the questions and wait for approval.?

So the part where they ask u where parts are from, what tools you use etc is a second step and you don't list that stuff on the form 1?

So it sounds like the form 1 process for these is now a 2 part application in reality?

Part 1: You do a form 1 and wait for the questions.

Part 2: you answer the questions and wait for approval.?
As I understand it, and and as of yesterday (because things change . . . ) that is correct. You submit the Form 1, you wait, they send an email asking for more info and photos of things you have on hand, you reply and than you wait again to see if your reply fit the largely arbitrary requirements.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top