JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm filling out my first form 1, for an sbr in 5.56 that I want to make. One of the questions on the first page of the form 4j says: type of destructive device (check one box): then you can either check firearm or explosives. I didn't think that an that sbr was a destructive device unless you bored out the barrel to greater then a half inch. But when it says "check one box" it makes me think that I need to check one or the other. I've googled like crazy and can't find an answer, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last Edited:
I am an idiot, lol I should have put form 1 as I did in the title. I edited it. I looked at an older form and it didnt have that question on it, maybe they changed it after 41p. In the bottom corner of the form I downloaded, it says" atf form 1 5320.1, revised may 2016"

I'd imagine on an SBR, instead of a DD, you just leave that blank. The instructions read "If a destructive device, complete 4j". At least one of the Trust lawyers out there advises such.

gkUTnNj.png

I believe you are correct that this is a new question, because I don't see it on my approved Form 1s.

I think you might be right. I'm just going to leave it blank. Thanks for the advice, it's so nerve wracking filling these forms out, 1 mistake and there goes 4-12 months down the bubblegumter.

In the box marked (F. Overall), make sure you measure the overall length of an adjustable stock fully extended, not compressed like I did.

Thanks quarter master, i'll take you up on that offer if I need it. I did the same thing the first time I filled out the form jbett98, Luckily i caught it when I proof read it. So many places to mess up, fingers crossed, but I think i got it. Thanks for all the help

Thanks quarter master, i'll take you up on that offer if I need it. I did the same thing the first time I filled out the form jbett98, Luckily i caught it when I proof read it. So many places to mess up, fingers crossed, but I think i got it. Thanks for all the help
Don't worry too much, I messed up my address number, and they still approved it. They also automatically populated the wrong county for me. No issues.

Can "multi caliber" be an option? I got a lower I wanna SBR but wondering about the caliber question....im doin my first form 1......

SCARed is correct. Putting "multi-caliber" will get it rejected. An actual caliber or gauge has to be entered.

In case it is of interest, from the NFA Handbook:

6.2.1 Description of firearm. If an existing firearm or firearm receiver is being used, the name and location of the original manufacturer of the weapon should be entered in Block 4(a). If the applicant is making a completely new firearm, the applicant's name and location should be entered in Block 4(a). The type of firearm being made, i.e., short barrel rifle, short barrel shotgun, any other weapon, silencer or destructive device, is to be entered in Block 4(b). The caliber or gauge of the firearm is to be entered in Block 4(c). If a model designation has been assigned to the firearm, that designation is to be placed in Block 4(d). If the weapon has no model designation, enter "none" in Block 4(d). The length of the barrel is to be entered, in inches, in Block 4(e) and the overall length of the firearm is to be entered, in inches, in Block 4(f).​

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top