JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ian shares his thoughts on firearms collecting in general:

Do you have a given theme as part of collecting? As mentioned, it could be a certain manufacturer, time period, conflict, caliber, nationality, et al. Cheers.

For Me?
Revolver, Auto loader, Lever action and Auto rifles.

Same rule.

-Of good quality. And sought after.

-No longer made or imported.

-In good to near perfect condition.

Shake the bushes and find guns like this.
For a fair price [I said fair, not what you may want to pay].

And buy them!
Pull out your cash and give it to the man for his gun!

Or go home and start a thread on ''The one you let get away''.

Do you have a given theme as part of collecting?
Um , Maybe , Perhaps . why do ya ask....? :D
Andy
DSC05463.jpg

DSC05467.jpg

DSC05469.jpg

DSC06041.jpg

I've curbed a lot of my collecting appetite and have tried to minimize what I own. But I like what @Medic! said. I've followed that same advice when I acquired guns that I had interest in as a collectible. It paid off. I never lost money and I had some fantastic specimens to fondle and shoot.

Preface this by saying there is a difference, at least in my mind, for defense weapons (and, similarly, hunting and "working" firearms), and that which is collecting.

With collection, in the past, I've cycled through various, often quite disparate, phases in which I've found a given niche or theme fascinating, rung it out, and then rinsed and repeated. The experience, rather than the actual items, was of chief import. The underlying makeup was always in flux, though I've noticed lever-guns and NFA items are the ones that have stuck. The latter is obvious due to legal status, the former is likely more nuanced.

Now? None at all. There is no niche that creates even a passing interesting. No idea why; refocusing, the craziness of this year, sense of "been done", something else ... who knows. Firearms isn't the only topic I used to find intellectually all consuming which no longer does so, but that is off-topic.

That said an item that is scheduled to arrive on Friday may prove interesting. And perchance fire more shenanigans. Or not. :s0155:

Now? None at all. There is no niche that creates even a passing interesting. No idea why; refocusing, the craziness of this year, sense of "been done", something else ... who knows. Firearms isn't the only topic I used to find intellectually all consuming which no longer does so, but that is off-topic.

That said an item that is scheduled to arrive on Friday may prove interesting. And perchance fire more shenanigans. Or not. :s0155:

There are seasons in life.

Maybe on to something else?

At one point in my cowboy action hobby, I was shocked to discover how my tastes had ambled around without (me) noticing right away.....
Starting SASS matches in early 90s, I was too poor to have a set of the 2 single action revolvers, pistol caliber lever gun, and proper Win 97 or SxS shot gun. Handiest when you pistols & carbine are the same caliber, my beginner set was different calibers.
It didn't really matter as soon enough you find a reason to buy more guns anyway, so before long I was sporting a set up in 3 different calibers with 3 different shot guns. Then I found a real 73 Colt SAA born in 1898, black powder only. Of course the pair was completed with one built in 1893. And a Colt rifle from the 1880s, with SxS coach gun 20g from 1920. Then there was a series of shop keeper/sheriff model 3" shoulder mount pistols, a couple of the Roooger cap & ball, & so forth. Had a lotta fun for nearly 20 years, loaded & shot a lotta originals, modern clones, modern classics similar but not really cowboy era gear. Saw a LOT of civil war era transition designs, saw various indivual adaptation to qualify for modern match requirements.
The era of firearms just between the Civil War & WW1 has an immense wealth of information & useful tools.
Learned a lot about such as ballistics, copyright laws, patents & fakes, real needs on the frontier, and a host of other firearm and historically related surprises.
Tried 200-1000 yd buffalo single shot rifles. It was a good ride. Most of that stuff is gone down the trail now.

Last Edited:
Nothing has really changed, my focus has remained the two brands, types, and era's they both represent! What can I say, I really do enjoy these two classics, and feel good about where i'm heading with the collection!

There are seasons in life.

Maybe on to something else?

Seasons, most assuredly, my friend. As to something else, maybe, but of this I am less certain. There have been many pursuits that I've rung out, then after learning all I felt necessary, the topic abandoned, never to return.

Others it ebbs and flows, but I've always, one way or another, returned to said to pursue again, even refreshed in spirit whilst doing so. Firearms are one of them that has always been a reoccurring interest, even from the earliest of days. There are others, some scientific, others cultural or spiritual, others quite earthy, that are perennial.

In times past, I have explained this mode of being to my beloved wife as "Ecclesiastes days". As she is familiar with the text, she gets the allusion. This time around, while the expression remains true, it is different. But I have already meandered wildly off topic enough. Well wishes to the friends here. :s0155:

Reasonably accurate .22LR semiauto pistols - Beretta Model 87 (2009), Beretta Model 89 (1990), Browning Buck Mark .22 Ultra Target (1995), Hammerli Trailside, Smith & Wesson 622 (1998ish), Smith & Wesson 41 (1980-81). They just float my boat.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top