JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So about 30 or so minutes ago I had a freak out....I got about an exit away from my house before I realized that I forgot my wallet, which contains my CHL. (Yes I turned around and grabbed it) I already know the legal consequences but Im curious about the reality. Out of all the years of carrying this is my first time. Im usually very meticulous about this but apparently I slipped...

What are the chances the officer is gonna hook me up? Both ways I mean....If Im NOT a dik and explain, will there be some compassion and a good old azz reaming(?), or will I simply end up in the clink??? Will they let me unload my gun and turn around to go get it? I know in Oregon (at least WashCo) they know about your CHL when they run your plates. If I cant produce my license Im illegally carrying, and I know that. But what if.....Im sure this has happened to someone here, I wanna know what happened....

What if I made copies of my DL and my CHL and kept em in my glove box? Better that nothing right? I could just keep em with copies of my form 4s.....

Anyway, Im just rambling cause it freaked me out and now I got all these scenarios running through my head, from everything being cool to meeting Bubba and losing my rights over a simple mistake.....which will never happen again....

In all seriousness, I have a mental checklist that I follow: wallet, gun, keys, phone. And I also kind of do a pat down of my pockets before I leave the house. I think depending on the LEO you deal with would depend on what would happen if you got popped without your card. Good thing you were only a block away!

I would be suspicious of anyone who said this never happened to them. I am sure there must be a few who are that careful but VERY few. I keep a copy of mine in the vehicles for just this reason. They are kept where I would have to get them if needed. So far it has not happened. Got lucky so far. As to what will happen? No one can tell you as it's going to be a case by case deal. It will be TOTALLY up to the LEO who stops you. It can be a mild warning to be careful, to a huge hassle. A LOT of course will depend on how you act. A lot is how the LEO feels. Even at worst it's not the end of the world as if it gets to a judge how far are they going to take it? I just try to make sure my gun or guns and wallet go in at the same time. I have a couple times missed. Like ordering something or paying some bill and wallet is at the one PC. I have a few times gotten to the store, reached for wallet, and nothing is there. That means I drove there, with gun, and no wallet. Every time I promise myself to be more careful.

What's more shocking to me is the fact that you admitted forgetting ANYTHING @BDA.45 :D

I generally DONT forget anything....but.....today was exceptional with multiple changes of clothing in a short period time...which turned out to be longer cause of the turnaround to get my wallet....

I generally DONT forget anything....but.....today was exceptional with multiple changes of clothing in a short period time...which turned out to be longer cause of the turnaround to get my wallet....

It happens to ALL of us at one point or another.

So about 30 or so minutes ago I had a freak out....I got about an exit away from my house before I realized that I forgot my wallet, which contains my CHL. (Yes I turned around and grabbed it) I already know the legal consequences but Im curious about the reality. Out of all the years of carrying this is my first time. Im usually very meticulous about this but apparently I slipped...

What are the chances the officer is gonna hook me up? Both ways I mean....If Im NOT a dik and explain, will there be some compassion and a good old azz reaming(?), or will I simply end up in the clink??? Will they let me unload my gun and turn around to go get it? I know in Oregon (at least WashCo) they know about your CHL when they run your plates. If I cant produce my license Im illegally carrying, and I know that. But what if.....Im sure this has happened to someone here, I wanna know what happened....

What if I made copies of my DL and my CHL and kept em in my glove box? Better that nothing right? I could just keep em with copies of my form 4s.....

Anyway, Im just rambling cause it freaked me out and now I got all these scenarios running through my head, from everything being cool to meeting Bubba and losing my rights over a simple mistake.....which will never happen again....

"Careful man, there's a beverage here", is how I'd expect you to start the interaction with LE, though it might go downhill from there. On the plus side he might not even ask for your CHL after that.

"Careful man, there's a beverage here", is how I'd expect you to start the interaction with LE, though it might go downhill from there. On the plus side he might not even ask for your CHL after that.

In that case Id still have to explain the lack of DL...... AND CHL, which was on my hip....thats what Im sayn. If Im cool are they gonna be cool or just simply go by the "law" and arrest my azz?.....

AFAIK in Oregon they know you have a CHL before they even hit the lights. Comes back
when they call in your plate. I have never had an officer--city,county or state--ask
for my CHL, and only one asked if I was carrying.

If your phone has a lock on it I would suggest taking pictures of both....front and back....can't hurt. I do it with a hunting and fishing licenses and prescriptions...but i've never left home without them or been hemmed up.

Always remember to carry them. Almost as important as ammo.

Last Edited:
In that case Id still have to explain the lack of DL...... AND CHL, which was on my hip....thats what Im sayn. If Im cool are they gonna be cool or just simply go by the "law" and arrest my azz?.....

With modern Tech it's normally pretty easy for the LEO's to make sure you are who you say you are without the card. After that they of course have access to the rest. As to what they are going to do after that? NO ONE can tell you. They don't "have to" do anything. It will all depend on what they want to do about it. If it happens of course stay polite. MUCH will depend on how you decide to treat the LEO.

I still think if you lead with the Caucasian everything will take care of itself. But in any event, I Iike your idea of copies in the car, though as you say they know when they pull you over. Probably a case by case depending on who pulls you over.

I think, from conversations and reading only, that anything is possible, DEPENDING ON THE LEOS attitude and how his little day is going!
I find that completely unacceptable, and, so like others I have trained myself to check carefully before leaving home. Have I done it? Oh heck yeah, but remembered with in a few blocks.
Don't leave home without it! :D

This is kind of a PS, I always treat LEO's with genuine courtesy and I have, with one exception, had that courtesy returned!

Last Edited:
Not proud of it and have yet to get a ticket in the last 15 years, but...

I've been pulled over, a LOT in my lifetime.

Regardless of the reason for seeing the flashing lights, I've never been asked about my hidden gun or if I have one in the car. Never.

If they don't ask, I'm not planning on making it an issue.

Being without my license or insurance cards for some reason is bad enough imo.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews