JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
This anecdote happened today, during "attitude adjustment" services provided by CBP (Customs and Border Protection).

I was flying earlier today from Munich, Germany to Portland with a layover in Atlanta. In Atlanta it was required to go through the passport control and get the checked-in luggage through the customs before proceeding to the next flight.
As usual, I've completed the customs form indicating some agricultural articles (allowed ones), and proceeded to the passport control. Unsurprisingly, the first question was about the country I was coming from. Technically it was already stated on the customs form, but I answered anyway. Second question was about my occupation, which was out of context, but I stated "Software Engineering" anyway... finally the officer asked about my current employer, and that's where it started :)

officer: What's your current employer ?
me: Why are you asking these questions ?
officer: Why am I asking these questions ?
me: Yes, I don't think it's any of the government's business. I am a US citizen returning home, that's all you need to know.
officer: Everything is government's business. People you are living with are government's business.
me: In that case I decline to state.
officer: you decline to state ?
me: I decline to state...

It was on his face when he said "you decline to state ?" that retaliation is coming. I didn't have to ask. Sure thing, instead of being directed to the agricultural check, I was sent to the "line 1", or the "terrorist line". Apparently they called in the supervisor, and a few other officers to assist. Supervisor quickly realized that he was simply dealing with a smartass jerk (me), and didn't hide his irritation with me "wasting his time". He inquired what was so inappropriate in the questions that I was asked by their "best agent", that it has set me off. After all, he said, I wasn't asked about my sexual orientation. I politely explained that none of those facts have anything to do with my travels. He objected, that anything has to do with everything. "As a software guy working at Google you may run into some people that government wants to know about". Not sure why they decided I work for Google, but he claimed that "it's written here, and there is even a picture" while looking at his screen but not showing it to me. He continued to state that my normal rights don't have any weight at that location, it not even being a US soil. When I asked him, where does he draw the line, "would it be actually okay for them to inquiry about my sexual orientation", he said "Yes, we can ask anything, we can search your body, your bags, your cellphone, your media". He was a bit softer at the end of this encounter, I inquired if I can get a copy of their written policy, but he did not answer.

But the most important thing that CBP agent told me, is that next time they will put me on the "no-fly" list if I refuse to cooperate in the same manner. This should be enough to make this gun related, right ? :)

Wow, I can't believe this exchange happened.

Moved to off topic, since it's not firearm related. As long as this stays non-partisan it'll stay open ;)

Wow, I can't believe this exchange happened.

Moved to off topic, since it's not firearm related. As long as this stays non-partisan it'll stay open ;)

It's related in two different ways. First, people on the "no-fly" list have difficulties buying firearms, and there are attempts to restrict their access to firearms even further. In fact my standoff ended early because I didn't do my homework on that topic, and didn't want to risk my 2A rights. Second, crossing border with firearms subjects them to CBP authority.

Enjoy the ability to talk back while it is still around; it won't be much longer. You will simply be thrown into a hole and forgotten. Que that silly song... where at least I know I'm free ....

Enjoy the ability to talk back while it is still around; it won't be much longer. You will simply be thrown into a hole and forgotten. Que that silly song... where at least I know I'm free ....

Which is kind of a question that I implied as well. What enforcement methods do they have to retaliate ? Sure they can delay me for X amount of time, and/or search my everything. Do they really have ability to put one on the "no-fly" list just for what I've described ? Anything else ?

Sensationalizing does not make the story better. It actually detracts. It probably would have been worth discussion otherwise.

Fd15k -

With great respect for those like you who stand up and do not kneel like the 98% sheeple, you really need to research what powers the government has been handed vs the individual. Most of the Bill of Rights and Constitution have been trashed.

Licking their boots and intentionally being singled out by being a 'smartass jerk' (your words) are two different things.

You do not have any real rights any longer (some liberties and permissions are not rights). I suggest some self preservation would be in order. You are a man who doesn't like to be violated, fine. It is unwise to cause a confrontation with people who one day will have unrestricted and unrestrained power over you. If you want to be the guy that spits in the face of the checkpoint goon when he asks for your papers be prepared to live with the consequences.

Fd15k -

With great respect for those like you who stand up and do not kneel like the 98% sheeple, you really need to research what powers the government has been handed vs the individual. Most of the Bill of Rights and Constitution have been trashed.

Licking their boots and intentionally being singled out by being a 'smartass jerk' (your words) are two different things.

You do not have any real rights any longer (some liberties and permissions are not rights). I suggest some self preservation would be in order. You are a man who doesn't like to be violated, fine. It is unwise to cause a confrontation with people who one day will have unrestricted and unrestrained power over you. If you want to be the guy that spits in the face of the checkpoint goon when he asks for your papers be prepared to live with the consequences.

Yeah, not to mention I've been groped 3 times today :D

Since no one else is going to ask I will; Was he cute, the guy who gropped you three times? :winkkiss:

3 different guys in 3 different countries. For some reason I set off metal detectors in Europe even with empty pockets. Opted out from the scanner in the US. Usually the ugliest TSA agent does the groping, so you can imagine :)

I had the body scanner go off in Europe last year. It detected my bunched up sock on my left foot. The guy gave my ankle a quick fondle and sent me on my way.

I had the body scanner go off in Europe last year. It detected my bunched up sock on my left foot. The guy gave my ankle a quick fondle and sent me on my way.

I was flying from Amsterdam last year, and the scanner was going off on 9 out of 10 people.

I find to stop them from gropping me I just make comment before they start "Ohh here it comes you guys always like feeling up us guys with big members dont you?" For some reason they dont groop me after that. Seams to be working. Also those bumms who come up to ask for money. Before they ask I ask them first and most of the time it stops them and they walk away flustered.

I find to stop them from gropping me I just make comment before they start "Ohh here it comes you guys always like feeling up us guys with big members dont you?" For some reason they dont groop me after that. Seams to be working. Also those bumms who come up to ask for money. Before they ask I ask them first and most of the time it stops them and they walk away flustered.

You're saying you found a way to get through TSA security without being checked for weapons ? :)

Maybe a year or two ago I was flying out of Oakland back here to PDX.

I had lost my wallet a day or two before, so I showed up extra early knowing they'd put me through extra security. (Many people don't know this but you can fly domestically without a picture ID, just have to jump through hoops)

Anyway, as part of the process of identifying me, a TSA manager type came up on a cell phone asking my questions. She would relay my answers to whoever was on the other end of the phone.

The questions were pretty standard, at first. Name, Birthdate, SSN, all pretty reasonable questions.

Then they wanted my phone number.

Then they wanted my address.

Then they wanted the names of my neighbors (I wish I was joking).

I lived in a big apartment building at the time and didn't really know any of my neighbors except this old lady across the hall who I would help with groceries or changing a lightbulb. I only knew her first name. It's a really unique first name and I guess this was good enough for TSA. She relayed the info through the phone and a bit later I was cleared.

Fairly non-eventful, but I think it's f'ed up they know who my neighbors are.

I lived in a big apartment building at the time and didn't really know any of my neighbors except this old lady across the hall who I would help with groceries or changing a lightbulb. I only knew her first name. It's a really unique first name and I guess this was good enough for TSA. She relayed the info through the phone and a bit later I was cleared.

Maybe they asked for a local LEA to go to your place and verify your identity with the neighbors ?

Maybe a year or two ago I was flying out of Oakland back here to PDX.

I had lost my wallet a day or two before, so I showed up extra early knowing they'd put me through extra security. (Many people don't know this but you can fly domestically without a picture ID, just have to jump through hoops)

Anyway, as part of the process of identifying me, a TSA manager type came up on a cell phone asking my questions. She would relay my answers to whoever was on the other end of the phone.

The questions were pretty standard, at first. Name, Birthdate, SSN, all pretty reasonable questions.

Then they wanted my phone number.

Then they wanted my address.

You put up with that bubblegum?!

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top