JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I suppose the host is just doing his job. He does come across as a bit of a douchnozzel

I have had a good number of friends compete on the show, one episode featuring a Washington knife maker showed one of my machines I build for knife makers (A forging press)

My good friend Arnon from Portland was on the first season.

Been at least 6-8 other folks who i am friends with and a dozen more who I recognize but don't really know.

I actually belong to a Facebook group called "Blacksmith who will never be on Forged in Fire" :D

I have talked to a few folks about what it was like. Sounds like the whole thing is kind of a cluster. Poor communication and mediocre equipment

I still watch from time to time.

One thing is the judges are real pillars in their field. Jason Knight is one of the most respected names in the custom knife world and of course Doug is the real deal.

Makes for good TV, or better than average TV anyway

I think the most interesting part of the show is seeing other people's shops.

I was on a Discovery channel show. The host on it was a real idiot. We worked 12 hours a day and he would show up once or twice for 15 minutes to record his parts and then vanish. At least this guy seems to actually participate

The only one that really bugs me is the host, Mr Manbun. Doug M is like said above, the real deal. Anyone can be a d-bag depending on what footage is used and the spin the shows going for. I forget his name but the 'historic weapons' guy in the middle wears a lot of mascera. My son bought his house in Vernonia from Murray Carter. In the shop there's probably almost 6" of slag built up on the wall behind where his grinder was. I've never seen all the different metallurgy processes they put the guys through and am not that familiar with the forging process in general other than simple smithing so am fascinated by it all. We DVR it and the whole family watches, the 8 yo's think it's pretty cool.

The thread title say 'Forged in Steel' which threw me a bit as I believe there is another show coming out similar to that name which isn't the same show as 'Fire'.

I'd love to spend a day in IronMonsters shop. I'm bettin' some pretty 'neato' stuff is going on there.

Forged in Fire is driven by host Wil Willis. An Army Ranger for four years and Air Force Pararescueman for roughly ten years, Wil has hands-on experience with a wide range of weapons in real battle situations. Wil understands that a well-designed weapon used properly can literally make the difference between life and death. This unique perspective makes Wil perfectly positioned to host the competition and offer invaluable insights into the bladesmith's weapons from a combat perspective.

He's a vet,I think he earned the right to have his hair how he wants it.he also does another showncant think of the name but it's all about guns.good show

I like the show a lot, and really like to see others shops and equipment, and their techniques.
I even E-mailed J. Neilson once and asked him why some contestants, when quenching their blades took them out of the oil while they were still hot enough that the oil on the blades burst into flames, because I was always taught/told to leave the steel in the quench oil until it was down to the same temperature as the oil, then temper after it was down to room temperature...
He was nice enough to E-mail me back, and basically said that sometimes people take a different path to try and achieve the same results....
Probably the only thing that bugs me about the show is when Wil pronounces anvil anVille and not anvull, like I have always heard it pronounced. Pretty nit-picky on my part, I know.
That, and NOBODY has ever used that nice Bridgeport type milling machine to do some machine work....

I suppose the host is just doing his job. He does come across as a bit of a douchnozzel

I have had a good number of friends compete on the show, one episode featuring a Washington knife maker showed one of my machines I build for knife makers (A forging press)

My good friend Arnon from Portland was on the first season.

Been at least 6-8 other folks who i am friends with and a dozen more who I recognize but don't really know.

I actually belong to a Facebook group called "Blacksmith who will never be on Forged in Fire" :D

I have talked to a few folks about what it was like. Sounds like the whole thing is kind of a cluster. Poor communication and mediocre equipment

I still watch from time to time.

One thing is the judges are real pillars in their field. Jason Knight is one of the most respected names in the custom knife world and of course Doug is the real deal.

Makes for good TV, or better than average TV anyway

I think the most interesting part of the show is seeing other people's shops.
Summer 2016 I sat down with a Master Bladesmith and he was discussing why he was not a judge on that show. I also learned a few things as to why some of the Bladesmiths think it's a joke and will not appear on it as well. Guy does phenomenal work and I hope one day I can have a piece of his functional art in my kitchen, or pocket.

Remember shows are designed for the people who don't know and it's made to entertain.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top