JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I did a quick search but didn't come up with any specifics to what's required to get a Oregon carry permit as a Washington resident. So, what do I need to do and any suggestions on where to go to apply. I'm in Bellingham which for those who don't know is just about in Canada:s0155:, so it's gonna be a drive regardless of where I apply. I take most of my vacations in Oregon and it would be nice to be able to carry when I'm there.

Thanks.

I'll get you onto the trail of application...or at least very close to it. We get quite a number of Washington residents coming down to train with us and most if not all end up with Oregon Concealed Handgun Licenses.

Some basic steps to follow to increase your odds...

1. In Oregon you apply through the county. We have 36 counties in Oregon and each county must follow the statues but they have some discretion on the application process and procedures. So there are in essence 36 different ways to apply. Next,

2. Familarize yourself with the Oregon Revisied Status - particularly 166.291 which can be found on this link - https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html

3. I'd start immedately Monday AM calling the Sheriff's Office (SO) Civil Division in the bordering counties next to WA (but staying away from PDX metro counties) and asking them, assuming you have met all the requirements, would they allow you as a WA resident to apply in their county.

4. Obtain the training and neccessary declairation required to submit to the Sheriff's Office (SO).

5. Apply in one of the bordering counties SO and generally avoid large metro counties....step number 1 will determine where to apply.

6. Apply per the county requirements and be prepared to wait no longer than 45 days by statue requirements to get a "yep or a nope."

Thanks for the responses, I think that will get me started in the right direction. Coctailer, if you don't mind me asking, what reason did you use and did you find the them to be friendly to the idea of giving an out of state permit?

You have to take a safety class for concealed carry you can take at some local gun shops or some gun shows, then submit application with letter of why you want/need a Oregon permit.
I got mine when I lived in Oregon then when I moved to WA I had to renew and all I did was submit another appl for renewal and pay them money.
With WA all I had to do was submit a appl and pay them money and I was sent a crappy paper permit.
At least mine permit through Mult Co. is an actual card and has my picture.

Having had my WA concealed permit for about 15 years, I finally got off my duff in regards to Oregon as it was a real hassle when working and seeing friends/family over there. Took the class at the end of May at the Johnson Creek Gun Club from retired MCSO Lt. Chuck Canham...who I cannot say enough good words about! Submitted my application and letter. Recieved a time and date to go to the Multnomah County Sheriffs Office to pay, get finger printed and have my photo taken, that was just a week and a half ago.....currently sitting in the waiting seat.....

*update* Received OR CHL in the mail today.

I got mine at Multnomah County. I work in Portland, but live in the Couve. I travel all over OR and some locations are very desolate. I also told them I already have a WA CPL. I also wished the WA CPL was an actual card, I ended up settling with laminating the card.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top