JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With the Shield also beware the rusting mag release button if you carry IWB and with the .40 beware the breaking recoil spring. Ask me how I know.

Not trying to troll but how can the plastic mag release rust? Also why would you not lube your pistol frame knowing you sweat like R. Kelly at a middle school dance?

-LazerBlazeR

Mag release isn't plastic. I've taken it out of the gun for cleaning/inspection/lubrication and it is metal and magnetic. Plastic button wouldn't last long with metal magazines. I understand it looks plastic but it's not.

I use Froglube on the pistol but didn't realize I would need to do it weekly even if I don't fire the gun.

Smith and Wesson have done right by me by replacing the parts, it's just frustrating to have these issues on a newer firearm.

As far as I am concerned every Shield in existence at this point in time is new and still in the "find the bug" phase regardless of production dates and yes I realize issues are not isolated to the first years (Glock Gen 4 comes to mind) but design flaws are typically discovered during that period. And hey guess what we are seeing something similar with the XDS, another new design. So yeah I stick by my original post and do not desire to play guinea pig.
So what is the point at which is it OK to buy? 3 years, 4 years, 25 years? What do you consider "safe to buy?" LOL

The Shield is just way too sexy to wait for "beta-testing" to complete. )

Mine passed my tests with flying colors. I expect to be looking for a recoil spring assembly soon, given that I have run a few thousand rounds through it. And yeah, I am desperately looking for extended (8-round) mags, since reloading at the range gets old quickly.

The Shield is just way too sexy to wait for "beta-testing" to complete. )

Mine passed my tests with flying colors. I expect to be looking for a recoil spring assembly soon, given that I have run a few thousand rounds through it. And yeah, I am desperately looking for extended (8-round) mags, since reloading at the range gets old quickly.

I'm with you about finding extra mags. All the local stores here in Western WA seem to be out, and the ones I've seen on eBay are going for about $60 a pop. Just can't bear to put down that much money for a Shield mag yet... =/

As for the safety issue, I checked my Shield and it had zero problems. I'm not sure, but I just bought it this last year and I've had zero problems... probably have put about 400-500 rounds through it already. FMJ, HP, new ammo, re-manufactured ammo... even some +P (which I normally don't use). The gun has run flawlessly.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top