JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This part is amusing to me:

"If you are uncomfortable conducting the inspection outlined above, or are unsure whether the condition described in this notice applies to your firearm, please take your firearm to your local M&P Certified Armorer or send your firearm to Smith & Wesson for inspection."

If you are uncomfortable making sure that your gun is unloaded and then pulling the trigger a few times, please sell all of your guns and lock yourself up in your home; because you sir/ma'am are an idiot!

That sucks I finally got to fondle one for some reason sub compacts never sit right in my big gorilla hands but the shield felt better than most and the price is pretty darn good too.

It's really no big deal . . . I just called the number at the end, give them the information they ask for, and they will email you a shipping label to send it to them. If they try to send you to MPShieldSafetyAlert.com, it doesn't appear to be up and running yet, so I called back. I'd much rather a responsible manufacturer, like S&W, learns about issues, addresses them, and then makes them right. I bought my Shield 9mm 6 days ago, the test fire round was 7/25/2013, and that little thingee never appeared during the 30-40 attempts I made. I send it back, I'll have it back within a week of them fixing it. Not the only handgun I own, not a big deal, and certainly not the first manufacturer to have an issue.

Checked mine. Seems to be perfect. And mine has a whole bunch of rounds down the tube.

As far we don't like the inconvenience, there are teething issues with new designs. All the gun companies are turning out their new little plastic guns as fast as they can to satisfy the new market of folks that are enamored with little plastic guns. Unfortunately, QC is spread a little bit thin. Not just S&W, but most of the other companies, too.

There were issues with the LCP, the LC9, and the SR9/40. I own them all, but mine continue to be flawless.

In addition to being critical, we should also be a little thankful that the companies are giving folks the heads-up over a potential problem, and standing behind their products and doing whatever it takes to make their guns right.

WAYNO.

This is precisely why I never by the new all-the-rage-thing when it come to firearms. Bugs need to get worked out and preproduction testing can only catch so many out.
From the recall it appears that it only started happening to RECENT production. They believe that the initial production up to an unspecified time in the recent past was fine. They only are saying they are including all just as a precaution. So, your statement doesn't seem to be applicable here. Production problems are not isolated to the first few years of production and can occur at any time.

I had never heard of such a problem until this notice yesterday. I have read and seen many reviews with people having thousands of rounds down range with their shields and no issue at all. I have dry fired mine hundreds of times as well as live fire with no hiccup.

-LazerBlazeR

I had never heard of such a problem until this notice yesterday. I have read and seen many reviews with people having thousands of rounds down range with their shields and no issue at all. I have dry fired mine hundreds of times as well as live fire with no hiccup.

The issue was in drop safety. Firing was OK - at S&W they fire millions of rounds through randomly-selected pistols to ensure things are fine; I guess they do not drop them as often. Apparently only the most recent production batch was affected, but S&W does not know the exact date when it started, so it had to ask every owner to check them to avoid getting into any legal troubles.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top