Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

For those who own a S&W Shield.......

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by mrblond, Aug 22, 2013.

1. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

2. Nutty4Guns

Nutty4Guns Portland ADHD Superstar

Great, now I have homework to do tonight.

3. lazerblazer

lazerblazer Portland Active Member

I have to admit that I was very bummed to see this and worried my gun would be out of commission for a while. It was simple, I checked mine in 30 seconds and its right as rain!

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

So I guess whoever owns those has to check them daily forever?

5. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

this thread made my decision much clear to buy xds. ;)

6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I heard that's a fine stone caster. heh

7. Nutty4Guns

You should research XDS problems. They are not immune either.

Riot and (deleted member) like this.
  8. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

Fairly easy and straightforward check. Thankfully.

9. Nutty4Guns

This part is amusing to me:

"If you are uncomfortable conducting the inspection outlined above, or are unsure whether the condition described in this notice applies to your firearm, please take your firearm to your local M&P Certified Armorer or send your firearm to Smith & Wesson for inspection."

If you are uncomfortable making sure that your gun is unloaded and then pulling the trigger a few times, please sell all of your guns and lock yourself up in your home; because you sir/ma'am are an idiot!

Riot, NWGlockgal, razormanxx and 3 others like this.
  10. Oklahomie

Oklahomie Marysville Active Member

That sucks I finally got to fondle one for some reason sub compacts never sit right in my big gorilla hands but the shield felt better than most and the price is pretty darn good too.

11. chase

chase Wilsonville, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

A lot of subcompacts get safety recalls. Specifically the Ruger LCP, Walther ppk, SW Shield. Its a mechanical device and sometimes things go bad. Just check it and move on.

12. sapper77

sapper77 Linn County Active Member

Just buy a glock people..............keep it simple!

13. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Snohomish County, WA Active Member

It's really no big deal . . . I just called the number at the end, give them the information they ask for, and they will email you a shipping label to send it to them. If they try to send you to MPShieldSafetyAlert.com, it doesn't appear to be up and running yet, so I called back. I'd much rather a responsible manufacturer, like S&W, learns about issues, addresses them, and then makes them right. I bought my Shield 9mm 6 days ago, the test fire round was 7/25/2013, and that little thingee never appeared during the 30-40 attempts I made. I send it back, I'll have it back within a week of them fixing it. Not the only handgun I own, not a big deal, and certainly not the first manufacturer to have an issue.

14. WAYNO

WAYNO Oregon City Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

Checked mine. Seems to be perfect. And mine has a whole bunch of rounds down the tube.

As far we don't like the inconvenience, there are teething issues with new designs. All the gun companies are turning out their new little plastic guns as fast as they can to satisfy the new market of folks that are enamored with little plastic guns. Unfortunately, QC is spread a little bit thin. Not just S&W, but most of the other companies, too.

There were issues with the LCP, the LC9, and the SR9/40. I own them all, but mine continue to be flawless.

In addition to being critical, we should also be a little thankful that the companies are giving folks the heads-up over a potential problem, and standing behind their products and doing whatever it takes to make their guns right.

WAYNO.

15. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

From the recall it appears that it only started happening to RECENT production. They believe that the initial production up to an unspecified time in the recent past was fine. They only are saying they are including all just as a precaution. So, your statement doesn't seem to be applicable here. Production problems are not isolated to the first few years of production and can occur at any time.

16. lazerblazer

lazerblazer Portland Active Member

I had never heard of such a problem until this notice yesterday. I have read and seen many reviews with people having thousands of rounds down range with their shields and no issue at all. I have dry fired mine hundreds of times as well as live fire with no hiccup.

-LazerBlazeR

17. Navman

Navman Canby Oregon Active Member

Mine is good. Isn't this "drop safety" feature a result of some libtard gun law?

18. Netspirit

Netspirit Bellevue, WA Active Member

The issue was in drop safety. Firing was OK - at S&W they fire millions of rounds through randomly-selected pistols to ensure things are fine; I guess they do not drop them as often. Apparently only the most recent production batch was affected, but S&W does not know the exact date when it started, so it had to ask every owner to check them to avoid getting into any legal troubles.

19. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Thanks to the OP for posting this. I just checked mine and it is fine.

20. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I know nobody cares I report that my Shield passed, except, perhaps, those Shield owners who may have found this thread thanks to my BTT.