JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most of the time I carry a Glock 19 but on occasion I will switch to my G23. In warmer weather I sometimes carry a Shield 9mm. Going to purchase Glock 30sf soon so I'll have the option of carrying a .45. Just bought a new holster that I like very much. Can post info if anyone is interested.

Kimber Ultra Carry 45 (1911) crimson trace.
And, or, a Rohrbaugh R9. and on rare occasion a S&W scandium/titanium .357 snub nose.
Depends on clothes and where I am going. Mostly the Kimber.

I was in a similar position as the OP late last summer. I had a XDs 45 that was a great shooter, easy to carry and conceal. I like to practice with my carry gun the most and every time I left the range I thought to myself, I would be a lot more comfortable with some more weight on my hip. I sold the XDs, bought a Ruger CMD, put some night sights on it and bobbed it. I realized that the two pistols I have ever sold were of the XD line... And I bought a 1911 instead. The plastic stuff is great for some people but just not for me. Now every time I leave the range and every morning when I put my holster on the thought of carrying something else does not cross my mind.

I can see where you guys are coming from saying that a carry pistol is a tool, and I agree. I also think the more you like your carry pistol the more you will want to shoot it and become more comfortable and confident in it.

Edit: I also had an actual gun belt and real holster made when I bought the Ruger, it made all the difference in the world as far as carrying the extra weight.

90% of the time I will have my S&W 640-1 .357 Magnum 5-shot J-frame in a DeSantis IWB holster. When I'm not using the Smith, I carry my Glock 23 in a Galco Miami Classic rig or an IWB holster. They are both beautiful carry guns, but for different reasons and applications. I feel a person should love what they carry, and carry often no matter what they are carrying.

I carry a reliable gun that I have practiced a lot with. It shoots when I pull the trigger and the bullets go where I want. Its boring, simple, and going to work if something bad goes down which is all I care about.

I've been carrying concealed for about 42 years. I have many handguns to choose from, but narrow things down by using these criteria.
1. Is the handgun ball-bat reliable and in an effective self defense caliber?
2. Am I experienced, accurate, and very confident with the handgun?
3. Will the handgun conceal well given the weather, where I am going, the holsters I have?
4. Am I practiced and confident in drawing the handgun from the chosen holster and get it in action smoothly and quickly?
Given the above criteria, I choose from among the following:
Ed Brown Kobra Carry 1911 in .45acp with 2-3 mags in IWB holster or Alessi shoulder rig.
Glock 23 in .40 S&W with 2 or 3 mags in DeSantis IWB or shoulder holster.
Sig 239 9mm with 3 mags and Blade Tech IWB and mag holders.
S&W 638-2 5 shot .38 snub with Crimson Trace laser grips in Kramer pocket or ankle holster with 2 speed loaders.

Good choice on the 1911; one of my top favorites. I too live in West Linn on Woodbine Rd. if you know where that is. Send me a PM if you'd like to have coffee some day.
Munsoni

I try not to, but I love mine.

Come to think of it,

I love my tig welder, and my plasma cutter, and my torch, and my saws, and my drills, and my hand tools, and my Peterbilt and my Lowboy and my forklifts and my port-a-power and my knives, and my hammers (I actually have names for some of them).

I have a 25 lbs. sledge hammer that I endearingly refer to as "The Big bubblegum". Everyone knows which hammer I'm talking about, and it's prettyeasy to pick out. It's handily toooooo big for any job, but just big enough for 'that' job.

You're carry hand gun should be familiar, and on the edge of boring. I only own two hand guns. Both are carry hand guns. Both are boring, but I refuse to sell either. FYI, they are a Springfield 4" .357 Sig, and a S&W M&P .357 compact. I open or concealed carry depending on how I feel in the morning.

Keep it.

Casual clothes and hot weather, S&W 638 with Crimson Trace grips, Speer 135 gr. +p Gold Dots, in a Galco Pocket Protector or Galco on-the-belt pancake.

For work, Glock 21sf in a Blackhawk SERPA or Galco Miami Classic, Federal Tactical HST 230 gr. .45's.

This thread has turned out to be a lot more interesting than it might've been; good for y'all.

It does make me feel a little downhearted to lock up the shiny guns and put the OD Glock 36 in its MTAC IWB yet again, like I've done a million times. But that small, thin .45 is "enough gun" without being ridiculous for city wear, and for sheer functionality, it's a no-brainer.

Maybe I fondle it more than I have to, but I still engage in holster practice, and yes it's loaded when I do.

Upshot: boredom can be a good thing, like on long highway drives.

I carry a 442 S@W it is easy to carry with a pocket holster is disappears into my pants pocket. With a holster it is not bad either. I don't think it is a "fun" gun to shoot. Most any compacts IMO aren't fun to shoot.

When I can, I carry my SR1911 CMD. Otherwise I carry my XDs45. I would be carrying my M&P45 but I had to sell it off to help the relatives. I still have my 2" Rhino and hope that it remains unsold. I like carrying that at times as well. I also have an LCP that I carry as a BUG but sometimes when the situation warrants I will carry it as primary with no other one on me. I don't like doing so but sometimes I just can't conceal my XDs. Although I can normally even wear a tucked in dress shirt with the XDs on me in an IWB Sticky Holster. But my favorite to carry is my 1911 CMD because I shoot the best with it. It just isn't as easy to conceal at times.

good read. I wish I could carry more but wearing a tool belt by day and in a fab shop by night doesnt warrant it...or at least to stay efficient at what im doing. ill carry for fun, to give a gun some air or when im igettingn the woods.

I guess the things that keep me from carrying are kind of weapons in there own right...

anyway when I do carry I rotate from a titan 25auto(great gun by the way) to a keltec p11 to a firstar .40sw

and back to the OPs remark about the way the gun feels...I think that its important. example...my firestar isnt a cool fancy gun but I think it looks the way a gun should look and feels right, I know thats just my opinion...and there is something to that. idk I look at all glocks and some sigs and i just dont get it.

I conceal carry all day, every day. My firearm of choice is an M&P 9c in a Theis IWB holster. The setup works pretty good but I kind of have a problem. I've been carrying it for about 6 months and have shot it a lot and I've just never really "fallen in love" with the gun. It's always worked flawlessly and shoots great but it seems like there's something missing I guess. I'm always looking for something to replace it.

So my question to you is:
What do you carry and why did you choose it?
Do you prefer single stack or a double stack for better capacity?

I have a somewhat active job so I can't carry anything much, if at all, bigger than my m&p.

Thanks for the input.
I carry a M&P40c and love it. I first had a shield and wanted the double stack. I would say try the shield, it is easier to conceal and a little more comfortable.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top