JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What companies are doing hiring right now?

I would guess it depends on what kind of position you are looking for. It would be easier to list the orgs that will NOT be hiring and assume the rest will. Even easier to list the sectors.

I have applied for a number of s/w engineer/developer jobs and the orgs seem to be hiring, but all of them have stated that they are working from home. All have said they would only do interviews remotely. My feeling is that at least some of them would interview but maybe not hire until they return to the office but they have not said that.

I know my previous client/employer (I was a consultant/contractor/permatemp at Daimler) definitely will not be hiring IT staff for quite a while - they did not layoff IT staff due to CV-19, all of us were working from home before the lockdown. They started their layoffs worldwide last year - especially in Germany - due to a predicted recession this year and next.

You may want to look into insurance companies, claims handling, or even restoration/water mitigation—anything having to do with homeowner insurance claims. There are a ton of companies involved in the industry directly and indirectly, like TPA's, equipment manufacturers, chemical supplies, software, computer networks, etc.
Point being, even in lockdown, dishwashers leak, water heaters explode, things still catch on fire.

Just my $0.02 trying to help.

Well I hold a B.Sci. in Business Admin. have work experience in planning, sales, and customer service.

I should have gone the comp sci route in college but I was honestly afraid of failing.

I think managers/planners/et. al. like that would maybe be in demand still - I can't speak to that profession though. I know none of those people that I worked with were laid off at DTNA, don't know about outside the two teams I worked on. I do know the CEO of Daimler in Germany did talk about thinning out the different levels of management there, but I personally saw none of that.

I have never wanted to elevate up into management/etc. - I am an Aspie, so I don't want to deal with people on that level. I am best at just heads down programming and tech stuff. The other side of that is that there are more devs churning out code than there are people managing/planning for them - and not every can or wants to do development/tech stuff, so there is more demand.

As for college - my degree is a EE and I haven't used it in decades - I can barely remember Ohm's Law. I am totally self-taught when it comes to s/w engineering. Not that an education in it wouldn't help me, there are gaps in my knowledge/experience that I have, but when it comes down to it, experience and skill counts for more than education, and the profession is constantly evolving.

I think managers/planners/et. al. like that would maybe be in demand still - I can't speak to that profession though. I know none of those people that I worked with were laid off at DTNA, don't know about outside the two teams I worked on. I do know the CEO of Daimler in Germany did talk about thinning out the different levels of management there, but I personally saw none of that.

I have never wanted to elevate up into management/etc. - I am an Aspie, so I don't want to deal with people on that level. I am best at just heads down programming and tech stuff. The other side of that is that there are more devs churning out code than there are people managing/planning for them - and not every can or wants to do development/tech stuff, so there is more demand.

As for college - my degree is a EE and I haven't used it in decades - I can barely remember Ohm's Law. I am totally self-taught when it comes to s/w engineering. Not that an education in it wouldn't help me, there are gaps in my knowledge/experience that I have, but when it comes down to it, experience and skill counts for more than education, and the profession is constantly evolving.

I totally get it. What I meant was more, I have absolutly no experience with coding of any sort. But all the job demand seems to be shifting toward people with that type of skillset.

Whereas my skills are dealing with customers, problem solving, ensuring paperwork and stuff is maintained, managing time. Things along those lines

A long list of jobs in the healthcare sector for Providence, in the PNW, including the greater Seattle and Portland areas.

Mostly looking for healthcare tech - RNs/etc., but some others like plant operations engineers, security officers, software engineers and other support staff.

Good luck.

I just got word from someone whose 26 weeks had expired, but was still making weekly claims waiting for the 13 week extension, that Oregon has started paying out for those extended benefits (if you kept filing weekly claims). Also, they are paying the federal $600 for those weeks too - until the end of July.

So it sounds like they are catching up.

The next thing I am waiting for is work on paying that first waiting week - that may take a lot longer - we'll see - but I am sure they will eventually get around to it.

I am not going to comment on future legislation regarding more extensions and expansions - it would just be speculation.

If you're looking for a sales/customer service/business admin type role, make sure you have an up to date LinkedIn profile

Make sure settings for "Can be contacted by recruiter" are on

Make sure you have a real profile picture, I'm an "exec" and my pic is just a cell phone shot of me with one of my daughters... it doesn't need to be professional quality photo, just make sure it's a professional pose/content.

Don't talk about tasks you had to do on your resume, talk about results...

From "Customer Service" to "Ensured all customers received service above and beyond their expectations"... it might sound cheesy when you read it in your head, but recruiters will give you a lot of points as it speaks to your ability to "snazz things up" when you need to and tell an engaging story. Companies hiring in those fields get a million and one resumes that look exactly the same, give yours something more!

I'll add more if I can think of them.

If anyone could use a set of eyes on a resume, I'm more than happy to help

In IT, the tech you have experience with is what is important, and whether it is superficial or deep experience - familiar with it, or an expert. In general (e.g., full stack dev, backend, DB, etc.), and specifically (C# and/or Java vs Javascript/CSS/HTML, etc.).

All of my adult kids have applied for Oregon unemployment, but have not seen a dime. Just a form letter saying you are eligible for $156 per week. Meanwhile my friend's kid across the river has gotten full Washington unemployment plus the Federal $600 per week since day one of filling.

They have been reporting job searches online, still this week two received letters stating "Your claim is being terminated for non-reporting. Do not restart your claim online, send back this physical letter instead"

I hate those incompetent gold bricks.

All of my adult kids have applied for Oregon unemployment, but have not seen a dime. Just a form letter saying you are eligible for $156 per week. Meanwhile my friend's kid across the river has gotten full Washington unemployment plus the Federal $600 per week since day one of filling.

They have been reporting job searches online, still this week two received letters stating "Your claim is being terminated for non-reporting. Do not restart your claim online, send back this physical letter instead"

I hate those incompetent gold bricks.

Need to keep claiming and complying with requests and eventually UI dept. will get around to them.

Took UI 6 weeks to get to me. Took them 4 weeks to get to the extended benefits for other people. Probably going to take them months to get to paying the waiting week.

Yup - OR gov is a Charlie Foxtrot compared to WA gov when it comes to bureaucracies like this. I was unemployed many times when I lived for 25 years in the Seattle area and it just blew me away how much better they were than Orygun.

I took twelve UI checks into the credit union Saturday to be deposited (six weeks worth - two for each week). Fortunately their video teller machine can handle 6 of them at a time. That bumped up my checking account a bit.

I've said it before, but I still feel bad for those who are much worse off than me, who are depending on these benefits to pay their bills, and not getting them.

I had a phone screen this last week, but I doubt anything will come of it; I only have about half the skills they are looking for. Not a big deal for me, but nonetheless, I had one of my job stress dream/nightmares a few days ago - dreaming I was called back into an old job I didn't care for and it was a dead end for me, but I had to wait until the contract ended. I have those dreams when I am stressed about my job situation - much less now than in the past, but subconsciously the stress is still there even though I am probably retired now (involuntarily).

Meanwhile:

I just got word from someone whose 26 weeks had expired, but was still making weekly claims waiting for the 13 week extension, that Oregon has started paying out for those extended benefits (if you kept filing weekly claims). Also, they are paying the federal $600 for those weeks too - until the end of July.

So it sounds like they are catching up.

The next thing I am waiting for is work on paying that first waiting week - that may take a lot longer - we'll see - but I am sure they will eventually get around to it.

I am not going to comment on future legislation regarding more extensions and expansions - it would just be speculation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top