JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Due to upcoming retirement I'll be hiring for a vacancy on our data center Facilities team in May / June timeframe. Full time, good pay & benefits, compressed work week (12 hr shifts, 3 on 4 off, 4 on 3 off). We recruit from various backgrounds such as HVAC, electrical, controls, instrumentation, facilities operations, plumbers, as well as others. We're a small team with a lot of autonomy supporting a large mission critical site. Located in Gresham. This one will be a night shift position. Message me if interested.

So I am back in the unemployment line.

The budget for my contract gig ran out about 2 weeks ago after a number of extensions.

Trying to keep on good terms with the client but not really wanting to work with them again (poor codebase).

Last week I clicked on the "restart" button and I got a for with about 4 questions, I answered yes to the one that asked if I was self employed and it took me to a contact form which I filled out. Surprisingly OED actually called me yesterday, we talked for a bit about what was happening in my situation and then the OED rep said she would restart my claim. Today I was able to file my weekly claim for last week.

It is important to note that when an OED rep says they will do something that involves the computer system (almost anything), it won't happen that day; their antiquated system is batch oriented and that batch is run sometime between midnight and 2AM probably, so at the soonest you won't see the status change until the next day.

So I am back in the unemployment line.

The budget for my contract gig ran out about 2 weeks ago after a number of extensions.

Trying to keep on good terms with the client but not really wanting to work with them again (poor codebase).

Last week I clicked on the "restart" button and I got a for with about 4 questions, I answered yes to the one that asked if I was self employed and it took me to a contact form which I filled out. Surprisingly OED actually called me yesterday, we talked for a bit about what was happening in my situation and then the OED rep said she would restart my claim. Today I was able to file my weekly claim for last week.

It is important to note that when an OED rep says they will do something that involves the computer system (almost anything), it won't happen that day; their antiquated system is batch oriented and that batch is run sometime between midnight and 2AM probably, so at the soonest you won't see the status change until the next day.
You think the codebase you just worked on was messy, just imagine what a rat's nest the state system must be.

I've known a couple people that work for the state. It's built on things that require IE-6 compatibility.

And likely floppy disks... flopsweat disks? That can either good or bad, depending on your preferences.

-Robert

Numbers aren't as bad as I had thought they would be.

I'm still pessimistic tho, and have a bad feeling that the rent/eviction protection scheme put into place will further snowball economic recovery affects.

Nice to read that numbers seemingly aren't as bad as I had previously thought.

Bad? Yuppers.

Just not as bad, as in say Great Depression bad...

So it looks like UI benefits will be extended into the first week of September, including an extra $300 (same as now) and a $10K tax waiver on UI benefit income from 2020 (I don't know about 2021). The bill has to go back to the house where it will pass, and then Biden will sign it, probably just in time for the end of the previous extension.

You may have to file a new claim if your claim is expiring (which is different from it running out of funds). E.G., mine expires 4/3/21. This is TBD.

One thing you can count on is OED taking at least 2-3 weeks to figure out how how to implement any new rules/etc. from DOL.

Relief bill has passed and is headed for WH to be signed.

UI benefits will be extended to first week of Sept.

Fed benefits stay at $300/week.

Whether you need to start a new claim if your claim is expiring soon or has expired recently is TBD, but either way, keep claiming. There may be a delay (again) while OED waits for info/direction from DOL and changes their systems to comply with the new program.

Oregon Employment Department

Like you, we are pleased to see federal benefit extensions moving through Congress. The American Rescue Plan will now need to be signed by the president. We will then need to receive guidance from the US Dept. of Labor (@USDOL). We know that any disruption in benefits can be a hardship.

We are prioritizing getting these changes implemented as quickly as we can. As soon as we receive more information and guidance from USDOL about any passed legislation and can provide rough estimates for when we expect to begin paying these benefits, we will share that information with you.

NEXT STEPS: Those on Regular UI, PEUC and PUA should keep filing for benefits every week, even if your claim has a zero balance.
If you have a regular UI or PEUC claim that is expired, you will need to file a new claim. If your PUA claim is expired continue claiming weekly.

Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter and sign up for our weekly email updates in English or Spanish: https://unemployment.oregon.gov/contact-us

New instructions for excluding $10,200 of UI benefits (per person who got UI benefits) from your AGI on your federal tax form.

Also, since Oregon Form 40 takes the taxable income from line 11 of the federal form, it looks to me like Oregon state won't be taxing that $10,200 either.

6855860-1616071218116-20210318_initial_claims_2021.jpg

1) the OED has said that when a UI or PEUC claim expires that you must initiate a new claim.
2) adding weeks, adding funds, and getting new claims set up when they expire is a multi-step process.
3) as weeks and funds are added and new claims are initiated, what you see when you check "what's the status of my claim" may look different from day-to-day until the process is complete.
_nc_ohc=8SOhtcKPp7gAX8Gf8pE&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.png

USAJOBS.gov

Honestly, if you have skills and are a veteran this is the place. If you had skills related to power production and were willing to move for a few years, a $100K a year job is out there on the Columbia, Snake or some other large river in the northwest.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top