JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A lot has changed since that 2012 article. (example) Still a long way from perfect.

Me, I rarely use data, so I keep my cell and wireless data disabled unless I need it. That doesn't fix everything, but at least limits Big Brother a bit. I'm still tracked, but as we all know, security can be inconvenient.

I've also dumped all my social media accounts about a year ago. Better securing of my privacy, and a couple hours a day I no longer waste! :)

Anything you do online can be a permanent record. Even what we say in small groups like this site can be used against you, days or decades later. Always be careful what you say online!
Once you signed in you gave them permission to access ALL your online activity forever. Just read an Agreement. It does not matter if you "canceled" or "deleted" your account later.
Gestapo did not even dream about this much of a control.

Last Edited:
I only have a prepaid old flip phone that I most often don't turn on unless I make a call.

How exposed am I?

As badly as those who own smart phones or less?

Anyone here know?

Thanks!

It makes me smile to say the least how folks don't think about these things, but are outraged when they find out.

Even NWFA is a collection of users that ARE the product that the site has to sell to advertisers or...

Free with user agreement, means your not the customer, you are the product.

Thanks Reno.

I'm not outraged, simply curious.

I do understand if one has almost anything to do with the internet you've allowed your particulars to be sold - it's the way of the internet, credit card and other things world.

One will be tracked...

I work at a tech company (smarter than you thought). We take these never ending annual computer test (sigh) on company policies ect, but one a few years back covered the capabilites of your online foot print and what it could lead to.

Strangely we only had that one once. Somebody probably got fired for letting it slip out. I still don't know why Jack in the Box gets for free what the government (technically) needs a warrant for. Hmm, unless JnB is government front to test effects of diabe...never mind.

Anyway phone companies continually offer apps to give away more of your privacy. Which for me just confirms it's already in your phone.

The thing about this that's so messed up is the government can act as a business legally.

So they can not spy on you directly, per the laws and constitution.

However, they can legally buy anything that a third party is selling.

So if all the tech companies reside outside of the governments control, and the government can legally buy the information they harvest.

The government can legally spy on you.

Kind of like pistol braces of government oversight.

This is why the government has been ridiculously slow and unwilling to get involved with big tech companies.

I only have a prepaid old flip phone that I most often don't turn on unless I make a call.

How exposed am I?

As badly as those who own smart phones or less?

Anyone here know?

Thanks!

That phone is associated with your phone account, your phone account has your full name probably your Social Security number and your billing address.

Anytime the battery is in that phone, (regardless if it is powered on or not for most of them) it is being "pinged" by a minimum of three cell towers, which triangulates your position, which is continually recorded and kept on file as metadata, which may be referenced at any time.

You're not as "invisible" as you think you are by half. o_O

Back in the day, I worked as a developer/consult for security on a very well known email program.
Its not what we know that is scary, the information is quite astounding and that was back then, today looking back I was shocked,
today I am more horrified at what is occurring.
Just one more generation and most will forget, how all this can be abused.

A lot has changed since that 2012 article.
I didn't realize I had cited something so ancient. In the world of telecommunications technology, 1 year is decades. According to your link, they may not track your specific cell location, but they can use your internet location information (remember net neutrality?).

Back in the day, I worked as a developer/consult for security on a very well known email program.
Its not what we know that is scary, the information is quite astounding and that was back then, today looking back I was shocked,
today I am more horrified at what is occurring.
Just one more generation and most will forget, how all this can be abused.
Oh yeah - surveillance cameras back in the '90s, your digital footprint via phone. A friend tells me to lose my Comast router and buy something different. He listed all the eavesdropping they do and how much they sell my usage for - it's pretty heinous.

Among my colleagues, to the man, all say we will go "off grid", meaning literally unplugged, when we retire.

I'll ditch my phone at retirement. The older I get, the less I have to say to people anyway.

I have a young co-worker that doesn't have a cell phone anymore because of this crap. Apparently switching back to flip phones is becoming popular.

I can see the appeal, you don't realize how addicted you are to these things until it's in another room.

I have got rid of or stopped using all social media accounts. The farther I detatch from this stuff the more at peace I am.

Maybe if I keep going I'll enjoy camping again like the 80s.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top