JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I guess I should have said "But lets not forget the predecessor of the .357 - the .38 Special"

My daughter loves my Taurus 605 (with .38s) and can consistently hit 25 yard clays with it but would like something with a longer barrel - maybe 4". I am currently trying to find a nice small frame .38 like maybe a Colt Police Positive or a J-Frame S & W.

I've got a couple revolvers, a S&W Model 66-7 and a Taurus Model 66, both stainless with 4" barrels. Although the crown on the S&W is damaged (bought it used and didn't notice that, grrr...) and while it shoots, it isn't super accurate, which is why I bought the Taurus. Taurus has a 7-shot wheel too, bonus shot! Just recently got that one, haven't fired it yet. That's it in my avatar. Now to decide what to do with the S&W; sell it or see about getting it rebarreled or repaired.

Any competent gunsmith can do a recrown job, If you just want to dump the smith I a have a 100 bucks for you right now.

I have been waiting for someone to represent the lever gun with a photo. It would also be interesting to get chronograph data with revolver/carbine comparison. I am not placing the burden on you, just mentioning it.:D

This is the only picture I can find... no chrono data though.
94Trapper.jpg

I've got a couple revolvers, a S&W Model 66-7 and a Taurus Model 66, both stainless with 4" barrels. Although the crown on the S&W is damaged (bought it used and didn't notice that, grrr...) and while it shoots, it isn't super accurate, which is why I bought the Taurus. Taurus has a 7-shot wheel too, bonus shot! Just recently got that one, haven't fired it yet. That's it in my avatar. Now to decide what to do with the S&W; sell it or see about getting it rebarreled or repaired.
Take that S&W to Shooters Service Center in St Johns. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how reasonable it would be to have the barrel recrowned.

Best,
Gary

I've had a few 357s, including a 357 Maximum, thru the years and liked all of them. But in a weak moment I "needed" a Dan Wesson CBOB in 10mm and decided that my 686-5 4" had to go. That was the gun that really made me like the 357 Mag. Unfortunately it just doesn't carry like my CBOB .45 or have the power of my 41 Mag.
I only have one hunting rifle (30-06) and if I only had one handgun, you can bet your bottom dollar it would be a 4" 686 all over again!
There is a reason the 357 has been so popular for so many years.

From what I've heard, and what my experience with the .41 Mag in a carbine vs. a pistol is, you can usually get a 500fps improvement from the longer barrel.
I shoot a 6 1/2" .41 mag and I had a 20" Marlin in the same caliber. 1350 fps in the handgun, 1860 in the carbine.

Possibly, but to get past the damage would probably cost me at least half an inch of barrel. I haven't found a gunsmith around yet to ask about something like this. Here's the damage in pics. Pretty much opposite sides of the barrel, like a previous owner jammed something in there that shouldn't have been there.

Looks like a reason to put a 8 in magaported barrel on it.

Seeing as we're showing off our .357s......

It may seem weird but I sort of see personalities in handgun cartridges. .357 mag seems to be so elegant, long and lanky, a beautiful woman....That can kick butt! It's my favorite to reload with shiny nickle cases and a 124gr Montana Gold hollow points.

Mike

P1030555_zpsc6c7af4f.jpg

Last Edited:
Possibly, but to get past the damage would probably cost me at least half an inch of barrel. I haven't found a gunsmith around yet to ask about something like this. Here's the damage in pics. Pretty much opposite sides of the barrel, like a previous owner jammed something in there that shouldn't have been there.
That can be counter bored just past the damage! Disassemble, mount it up on a angle plate nice and true and use a boring head and bore out just enough to clean up the damage. Then you need to remove the burrs down in there and slightly crown it... Easy!!

Take that S&W to Shooters Service Center in St Johns. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how reasonable it would be to have the barrel recrowned.

Best,
Gary

I will definitely do that, thanks! I've never need a gunsmith in the long year and a half I've been a firearms owner, so I didn't know how to go about finding a good one. I'd love to get the S&W repaired, either recrowned or turned into a snubby like someone else suggested. I do have another 4" wheelgun now, so don't really NEED two of them, but dat trigger, hnnnng....

That can be counter bored just past the damage! Disassemble, mount it up on a angle plate nice and true and use a boring head and bore out just enough to clean up the damage. Then you need to remove the burrs down in there and slightly crown it... Easy!!

Easy if I had any king of tooling, lol! I'll figure something out, really don't want to part with it if it can be easily saved.

His and hers S&W Model 19. Hers on top with a 6-inch barrel and second photo is mine with a 4-inch barrel. The big fat smooth grips and longer barrel of hers makes hers more fun to shoot.

original.jpg

original.jpg

My Marlin 1894 in .357 when it was new out of the box. My favorite long to shoot while I had it. Unfortunately, it jammed at 450 rounds and had to go back to Remlin. A timing issue with the carrier. Remlin has had the gun for 2 ½ months because they have no parts, and are not scheduled to manufacture the part till next week. It's looking like it will be 3 ½ to 4 months total that they will have my gun, and the pisser is that I only had the gun for 3 weeks before it malfunctioned. Not a happy camper. No real good photos of the gun. Just this one.

original.jpg

I can't let this thread go without throwing my 2 cents at it.

I'm one of those guys who almost always has a .357 on my nightstand, My most recent was a S&W 686 Plus 4" (stainless seven shot). I've owned a few model 19s too.

You may have noticed I wrote "my most recent was", one of my buddies has always wanted that gun, and in a moment of weakness I sold it too him a few weeks back.
I'm already missing it.

To my way of thinking the .357 is one of the best close quarter home defense rounds out there. Quite versatile too as I've often carried it in the woods when hunting or just screwing around...generally most .357 revolvers are lighter than my .44 mag revolvers, and at 64 years old, weight is becoming a consideration.

The only draw back is I've yet to find any holster rigs that make concealed mid size revolver carry possible without leaving tell tale bulges in my clothing...I'm not very big.

I'm kicking myself for letting that 686 get away from me.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top