JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Love mine, even though after 3 shots of .357 my palm would start to feel it. 9442691863_aed0421d1b_b.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wondermix/9442691863/in/photostream/

I've got a couple revolvers, a S&W Model 66-7 and a Taurus Model 66, both stainless with 4" barrels. Although the crown on the S&W is damaged (bought it used and didn't notice that, grrr...) and while it shoots, it isn't super accurate, which is why I bought the Taurus. Taurus has a 7-shot wheel too, bonus shot! Just recently got that one, haven't fired it yet. That's it in my avatar. Now to decide what to do with the S&W; sell it or see about getting it rebarreled or repaired.

S&W model 19, blue, 6" barrel was my first handgun purchase when I came of age back in early 80s. Sold it somewhere along the way. Seems I've always a 357 revolver of some sort over the years. Now it's Colts...

Might be able to have the crowned recessed..?

Possibly, but to get past the damage would probably cost me at least half an inch of barrel. I haven't found a gunsmith around yet to ask about something like this. Here's the damage in pics. Pretty much opposite sides of the barrel, like a previous owner jammed something in there that shouldn't have been there.

20140108_000731.jpg 20140108_000757.jpg

My Stainless Taurus 605 and (recently acquired) Blued 66 are fantastic. Took the 66 out today, right on the money at 20 yards.
Im very pleased.
So sturdy and simple, like an AK and as with AKs, I find that wood and steel look best when paired together.
Keep that plastic and rubber new stuff off my firearms ;)

Possibly, but to get past the damage would probably cost me at least half an inch of barrel. I haven't found a gunsmith around yet to ask about something like this. Here's the damage in pics. Pretty much opposite sides of the barrel, like a previous owner jammed something in there that shouldn't have been there.

Another option might be to cut it back to 3" or even just have the barrel replaced with a new 2.5". Your Turus is a 4" so you probably need a short barrel .357.

Man, that just sucks! I'll bet you bring a bore light nowadays. You probably could just have it over bored past the damage. If that would work I would think its the least expensive.

While I don't shoot the .357's much any more it was the first center fire handgun I bought for myself and the first cartridge that I reloaded. The first was an Astra 6" with a Tyler "T" Grip. I loved that gun, it was everything that you wouldn't expect it to be, accurate, strong and sleek and handsome! It was followed by a S&W stainless 66 snubby, S&W 66 4", S&W stainless 686 6". Now it's down too a S&W stainless 66 4".
I always liked the versatility of the cartridge and some of my best memories involved shooting and hunting with my .357 revolvers! I especially miss my M 66 snub nose because, with hot loads you could shoot and cook your game at the same time! What a muzzle flash!
I wish that I had never traded the 686, it was the best of the lot. This is a great thread OP, I'm going to dig my Smith's out of the safe and get them dirty!

Ahh, the .357 Magnum. Practical power that most anyone can handle with a little practice. My first was a Llama Commanche, followed by a nice 6" stainless Ruger Security Six, followed by a variety of Ruger Security Six's, Speed Six's, a beautiful 6" Colt Python, Smith & Wesson 586, a couple of 686's, a 6" Model 28, a couple different Ruger GP-100's, snd finally ending up with my current stable of .357 six shooters, well, 2 six shooters snd 5 shooter: a nice older S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman, a nice 2 1/8" Ruger SP-101, and a new Ruger 6" stainless GP-100.
I think the .357 is one of through easiest rounds to load from light target to heavy duty loads for protection from man or beast.

6907737663_eca48273af_b_d.jpg
686-3 (flute delete) built a few years prior to when S&W admits to the -3 being used. One of 500 national match guns built for competition by Bill Davis. The second cleanest trigger I've ever found on a wheel gun - the only one that broke cleaner/lighter was a 586 that had reliability issues with harder primers.

I only own 1 .357 and it'd be my Marlin 1894 CS. It's about the best investment I ever made as I got it for $350 from a friend who was selling it used. The use of the rifle was mainly done by his son and myself, so while I wasn't making a ton of money at the time I bought it anyway as I knew it was a great gun. I almost sold it a time or two as it just sat in the safe not really getting shot that much, but I never got around to it. Now that I am married it is by far my wife's favorite plinking rifle. Even with the sky rocketed value I will not sell, simply because my wife would kill me in my sleep, and the gun is only going to get harder to replace. I'd really like a nice Ruger Bisley to go with it, but it's been down on my purchase priority list for sometime. We'll see what next year brings.

Another option might be to cut it back to 3" or even just have the barrel replaced with a new 2.5". Your Turus is a 4" so you probably need a short barrel .357.
I think everyone needs a 4 inch and a snub .357. two pistols you can always count on. I like having a lever action .357 as well since I can carry a rifle and pistol with the same ammo.

Current .357s:
Winchester Trapper
5 3/8" Blackhawk
Taurus 605

Previous:
7 3/8" SS Blackhawk
S & W M-19
6" Security Six

But can we change the title to 'For the love of the .357 Mag/.38 Special Platform' ? They are of the same ancestry and are typically shared in the same guns.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top