Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

For the love of the .357MAGNUM post..(post #357)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by MTpockets, May 28, 2014.

1. MTpockets

MTpockets Oregon Well-Known Member

I just wanted to spread the love of the .357Magnum. Feel free to share your experiences & photos.

MT:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. Salps

Salps Down by the river…. Well-Known Member

My favorite pistol , rifle caliber. gotta love the versatility of the .357.

MTpockets likes this.
  3. redkatanax9

redkatanax9 Vancouver, WA Member

MTpockets and Riot like this.
  4. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Beaverton, OR Active Member

I've got a couple revolvers, a S&W Model 66-7 and a Taurus Model 66, both stainless with 4" barrels. Although the crown on the S&W is damaged (bought it used and didn't notice that, grrr...) and while it shoots, it isn't super accurate, which is why I bought the Taurus. Taurus has a 7-shot wheel too, bonus shot! Just recently got that one, haven't fired it yet. That's it in my avatar. Now to decide what to do with the S&W; sell it or see about getting it rebarreled or repaired.

salmonriverjohn and MTpockets like this.
  5. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

S&W model 19, blue, 6" barrel was my first handgun purchase when I came of age back in early 80s. Sold it somewhere along the way. Seems I've always a 357 revolver of some sort over the years. Now it's Colts...

MTpockets likes this.
  6. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

My friend, buddy and longtime pal is a S&W model 66-5, 4" stainless. Till death do we part.

Sgt Nambu and MTpockets like this.
  7. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Beaverton, OR Active Member

Possibly, but to get past the damage would probably cost me at least half an inch of barrel. I haven't found a gunsmith around yet to ask about something like this. Here's the damage in pics. Pretty much opposite sides of the barrel, like a previous owner jammed something in there that shouldn't have been there.

20140108_000731.jpg

20140108_000757.jpg

Velzey likes this.
  8. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

My Stainless Taurus 605 and (recently acquired) Blued 66 are fantastic. Took the 66 out today, right on the money at 20 yards.
    Im very pleased.
    So sturdy and simple, like an AK and as with AKs, I find that wood and steel look best when paired together.
    Keep that plastic and rubber new stuff off my firearms ;)

salmonriverjohn and MTpockets like this.
  9. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

.357x4 COP

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    soberups, H2O MAN and MTpockets like this.
  10. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I had one a those back in the day.. it seized up after a few shots. hunk a crap

11. JSJPDX

JSJPDX East Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Another option might be to cut it back to 3" or even just have the barrel replaced with a new 2.5". Your Turus is a 4" so you probably need a short barrel .357.

12. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Man, that just sucks! I'll bet you bring a bore light nowadays. You probably could just have it over bored past the damage. If that would work I would think its the least expensive.

13. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

While I don't shoot the .357's much any more it was the first center fire handgun I bought for myself and the first cartridge that I reloaded. The first was an Astra 6" with a Tyler "T" Grip. I loved that gun, it was everything that you wouldn't expect it to be, accurate, strong and sleek and handsome! It was followed by a S&W stainless 66 snubby, S&W 66 4", S&W stainless 686 6". Now it's down too a S&W stainless 66 4".
    I always liked the versatility of the cartridge and some of my best memories involved shooting and hunting with my .357 revolvers! I especially miss my M 66 snub nose because, with hot loads you could shoot and cook your game at the same time! What a muzzle flash!
    I wish that I had never traded the 686, it was the best of the lot. This is a great thread OP, I'm going to dig my Smith's out of the safe and get them dirty!

14. 2ndtimer

2ndtimer SE Washington state Active Member

Ahh, the .357 Magnum. Practical power that most anyone can handle with a little practice. My first was a Llama Commanche, followed by a nice 6" stainless Ruger Security Six, followed by a variety of Ruger Security Six's, Speed Six's, a beautiful 6" Colt Python, Smith & Wesson 586, a couple of 686's, a 6" Model 28, a couple different Ruger GP-100‘s, snd finally ending up with my current stable of .357 six shooters, well, 2 six shooters snd 5 shooter: a nice older S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman, a nice 2 1/8" Ruger SP-101, and a new Ruger 6" stainless GP-100.
    I think the .357 is one of through easiest rounds to load from light target to heavy duty loads for protection from man or beast.

15. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

6907737663_eca48273af_b_d.jpg
    686-3 (flute delete) built a few years prior to when S&W admits to the -3 being used. One of 500 national match guns built for competition by Bill Davis. The second cleanest trigger I've ever found on a wheel gun - the only one that broke cleaner/lighter was a 586 that had reliability issues with harder primers.

Barachiah, MikeE, samuelm16 and 3 others like this.
  16. H2O MAN

H2O MAN Georgia - USA Well-Known Member

I enjoy my .357 Magnum weapons, Ruger GP-100, and a Winchester carbine
    There is a huge bag of brass in my shop just begging to be reloaded...

MTpockets likes this.
  17. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I only own 1 .357 and it'd be my Marlin 1894 CS. It's about the best investment I ever made as I got it for $350 from a friend who was selling it used. The use of the rifle was mainly done by his son and myself, so while I wasn't making a ton of money at the time I bought it anyway as I knew it was a great gun. I almost sold it a time or two as it just sat in the safe not really getting shot that much, but I never got around to it. Now that I am married it is by far my wife's favorite plinking rifle. Even with the sky rocketed value I will not sell, simply because my wife would kill me in my sleep, and the gun is only going to get harder to replace. I'd really like a nice Ruger Bisley to go with it, but it's been down on my purchase priority list for sometime. We'll see what next year brings.

MTpockets likes this.
  18. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

I think everyone needs a 4 inch and a snub .357. two pistols you can always count on. I like having a lever action .357 as well since I can carry a rifle and pistol with the same ammo.

MTpockets likes this.
  19. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Current .357s:
    Winchester Trapper
    5 3/8" Blackhawk
    Taurus 605

Previous:
    7 3/8" SS Blackhawk
    S & W M-19
    6" Security Six

But can we change the title to 'For the love of the .357 Mag/.38 Special Platform' ? They are of the same ancestry and are typically shared in the same guns.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  20. Salps

Salps Down by the river…. Well-Known Member